• Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup
    Not where I live, but where I was born.
    Colchester (Essex, England) was arguably the most important centre of Celtic power in ancient Britain and was home to a Celtic tribe known as the Trinovantes (possibly meaning "The Vigorous People" [Col 96]). The Romans referred to Colchester as Camulodunum which was based on the original British name Camulodunon meaning Fortress of Camulos (the Celtic god of war) [Cooper 94]. At the height of Colchester's Celtic power, in the early part of the first century, the area based around what is now Essex, South Suffolk, Hertfordshire & Kent was ruled over by a Colchester based King called Cunobelin (Shakespeare's inspiration for Cymbeline) [Edwards 94]. Colchester was opposite the Rhine and offered good communications to the rest of Britain, making it a strategic site. It was heavily fortified by means of a series of massive dykes (24Km), the largest of their kind in Britain bearing physical testament to the importance of Colchester. Such was the importance of Colchester in the Celtic world that the it was the prime objective of the Roman Invasion of A.D. 43 [Dunnett 75] which in turn led to Colchester becoming the Roman provincial capital & colonia (a chartered town enjoying special rights and privileges under Roman law). Cunobelin was referred to as Rex Britannorum (King of the Britans) [Col 96] by the Romans, a title that further reinforces the importance of this kingdom at the time of the invasion.
    http://www.colchester.uk.com/

And after a spot of digging...
    Brantham: The name was anciently spelt BRAMHAMM, and literally meant one who lived by the Broom-covered hill during the Middle Ages.
    Last edited by 0iD; 27-03-2005 at 07:42 PM.
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

Thanks
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • 1x 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD 2x640gb HGST raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Silencio 352
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband
    Cambridge Cambs (there's also one in Glos)

Recorded as 'Grontabricc' c.745 and Cantebrigie 1086 (DB) The original meaning was 'bridge on the river Granta'. It's derived from the Celtic river name and Old English (OE) word 'brycg' (bridge) If you look at a map of the area, Grantchester is nearby and it looks like the rivers Cam and Granta are part of the same network.

The change from Grant to Cam is due to Norman influence. The district of 'Cambridgeshire' is first referred to in the 11th century. The later river name 'Cam' is a "back-formation" from the place name.

I think this means that the Normans changed the name of the town from 'Grantbridge' to 'Cambridge' and then the river was renamed 'Cam' after the name town.

Hans - well there you go. I thought it would be a simple 'bridge on the river Cam' but there's a lot more too it.

Elmo - unfortunately Glasgow Uni don't do Metallurgy and Materials Science or much Engineering, so I was stuck with Strathy. I'd never been north of the border before so it was an education in more ways than one .

Wakefield W. Yorks

Recorded as 'Wachefield' 1086 (DB) meaning 'Open land where wakes or festivals take place'. Derived from the OE words 'wacu' + 'field'.
    "Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be." Frank Zappa. ----------- "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Huang Po.----------- "A drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind", - Ride.

Medic... I need a medic.. Donny John's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Donny John's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GA-970A-DS3
      • CPU:
      • FX 6300 piledriver
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Ballistix (dual channel)
      • Storage:
      • M4 128Gb + 36Gb Raptor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 7770 1Gb DDR5
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Generic
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ult. SP1
      • Monitor(s):
      • CTX 19" CRT
      • Internet:
      • Some crap from Sky.
    St Albans Herts

'Sancte Albanes stow' 1007 (so a century old!)

Don't u mean a Millennium old?
    <sig removed by Agent - You should know better mate! >

I know where you spawn!

Illegitimi non carborundum
    Pronounced: NO-lee NO-teece per-mee-TAIR-ray TEH tuh-RAIR-ay!

Title Contender
    Thanks
    Caerphilly

Thanks
    • Karl|Neo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • C2D E6600
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Geil DDR2-800
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD 6850
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2493HM
    Doncaster

Thanks
    How about Cheshunt? IIRC, it comes from the Roman Cestre Hunt (wooded hunt).

Thanks
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband
    Oid - I'm impressed. The book says

Colchester Essex

Colnecceastre is early 10th century and recorded as Colecestra 1086 (DB) Meaning 'Roman town on the river Colne' Alternatively the first part may be a reduced form of Latin colonia 'Roman colony for retired legionaries' The Romano - British name of Colchester being 'Colonia Camulodunum'.

Camulodunum is a Britsh name meaning 'fort of the Celtic war-god Camulos' (on the river Colne) or Colchester.

The river Colne does flow through Colchester so it is a typical case where the name may have been taken from one (the river) or the other (Colonia), it's difficult to say. Further research would be needed to clarify. Personally I think that the river is more likely to be the true derivation as the naming of the river is likely to have preceded the Roman invasion of Britain. However, Roman influence on language should not be under-estimated. I would look at the history of the river and it's naming to be absolutely sure.

Didn't know that Shakespeare had taken Conebelin for the inspiration for Cymbeline.

Personally I'm always amazed at how much history we have and how it weaves to produce such a rich tapestry. No other country in the world has this. On a trip to the USA I was in Yosemite National Park where they had the rings of a giant redwood tree on display with world events marked on the rings. Magna Carta 1215 drew a huge amount of amazement from the Yanks. I didn't want to mention The Doomsday Book 1086 to them

I've always believed that history should be taught from a local perspective - you don't really know how you fit in without understanding your own area and how it came to be.

Brantham Suffolk

Recorded as 'Brantham' 1086 (DB) Meaning 'homestead or enclosure of a man named Branta' form he OE - persons name + 'ham' or 'hamm'.

Now I did a bit more research cos this one is a bit tricky. Ham is an enclosure or homestead so no real debate there. However, the 'brant' part is more difficult. Lots of Old English (personal) names tend to disappear and are immortalised by a place name, which remains.

Looking at all the other place names with 'Brant' as the beginning they are typically of the form of "where broom grows" from the OE word 'brõm'.

However, it is not unrealistic to suggest that a man named "Branta" was named after the place where he lived i.e. one where broom grows, and that he migrated to, or lived at, the place that is currently called Brantham after him.

The broom connection is certainly there. Does Brantham have lots of broom trees growing nearby?
    "Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be." Frank Zappa. ----------- "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Huang Po.----------- "A drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind", - Ride.

Thanks
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband
    Donny John - yes you are quite correct. I hang my egg coated face in shame!

Caerphilly

Unfortunately I have only really good authority on English place names (must edit first post!!) however

I did find this. It doesn't completely answer the question but should be a good starting point.

Caer seems to be a fairly common form in Welsh place names and means 'fort or fortified place'. I have seen reference to this term being applied to where Romans would camp, which would typically be fortified following Roman military doctrine. I would bet my bottom dollar on this because forts are typically strategically placed due to the topographical nature of the land, hence Caerphilly castle, which would stand on the best defensive position.

Philly appears to be rooted in both English "Phillip" and Irish "Feidhlim" but I'm really not sure - If you know of any Welsh speakers then they may be able to shed some light.

Doncaster S. Yorks.

Recorded as Doneceastre 1002 (!!!) and Donecastre 1086 (DB) meaning 'Roman fort on the river Don' Don is a Celtic name simply meaning 'river or water' The word 'ceastre' is typically OE Roman town.

So really means Town on the river Don.

Cheshunt Herts

Recorded as Cestrehunt 1086 (DB)

Book says "Probably 'spring by the old (Roman) fort', from the OE 'ceaster' (fort or town) + 'funta'.

'funta' OE for spring - a loan word from the Latin fons, fontis and possibly used as a spring charaterised by a Roman bulding. However, a lot of place names with 'Hunt' in the refer to hunting or a hunter or a man named 'Hunta'.

So I would find out if the area has many connections with hunting - certainly has a bit of water about. Are there many local springs and if so are there any remains found near them? Roman or otherwise.

I'm afraid things aren't always straight forward.

I would be surprised if the word hunt was derived from Latin (although the word venison is).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information