Thread: Orlando, USA recommendations

Thanks

Orlando, USA recommendations

Going to Orlando very soon for a couple of weeks. Haven't been to America at all since I was 3.

Any must visits in the area? Food spots?

Interested in: Tech, food & trainers

Not interested in: Clubbing

Will actully be based around Kissimmee but will have a car.

Really any information you can give me from a personal been there, done that kinda way will be awesome.

Banned
    Thanks
    • Joko__2's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS p5q deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 3,8ghz
      • Memory:
      • corsair dominator ddr2 1066 4x2gb
      • Storage:
      • ssd kingston v300 120gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit gtx770 oc
      • PSU:
      • seasonic 650w 80+ gold
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced
      • Operating System:
      • Wndows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • BENQ XL2411Z
      • Internet:
      • 50mb

Re: Orlando, USA recommendations

For tech enthusiasts, a visit to the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex is a must. Explore the history of space exploration, see rockets up close, and even meet astronauts. If you're into gaming, check out the Player 1 Video Game Bar in nearby Lake Buena Vista for a retro gaming experience with craft beers.

When it comes to food, Orlando has a vibrant culinary scene. For delicious and unique eats, consider visiting The Ravenous Pig in Winter Park for upscale gastropub fare or Domu for mouthwatering ramen and innovative Japanese-inspired dishes. If you're craving something sweet, stop by The Glass Knife for artisanal cakes and pastries.

3. Received thanks from:

666moe666 (20-03-2024)

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

I hadn't been since '94. This time we were up in Universal BLVD and generally only visited the areas surrounded by the parks.
    Be warned it is in general a lot more expensive than the 90s!
    Compared to here it was more expensive across the board for food and this was in 2017 before C19. Not forgetting that their taxes and service are not included!

Are you doing any of the amusement parks?
    If so avoid the food there. We were quite shocked at the poor quality but very high prices in both Universal & Disney!

I really like BBQ type food and Bubbalou's Bodacious Bar-B-Que was our favourite, the prices were more down to earth than most places!

Other than that we did I-Hop & Dennys which are basically Harvester equivalents, but a HUGE menu and they actually cook the food properly, you'll find them everywhere.
    They know how to cook steaks over there so you can get a good one almost anywhere without having to pay the earth. We mainly went all out on the fast food though which ironically have all started to arrived here since then...

For a bit of entertainment, I can highly recommend doing their escape rooms. They're really good and can be found all over.

I didn't think much of the malls that we went to if I'm honest, they're massive in terms of building size, but not a lot going on or any decent shops of interest, but then I'm not into fashion so your likes/dislikes may differ. There was a really good shopping area on International Drive but I can't remembere exactly where. Very big, like a village. I got a few trainers from there because they actually stocked the wider sizes that they don't here in the UK.

5. Received thanks from:

666moe666 (20-03-2024)

Thanks

I haven't been for many years either, so anything I could say would be hugely out of date. I was also never much of a fan of the Disney/Epcot type places either .... over-priced turist traps, IMHO. But maybe that's just me.

If Wet n Wild is still going, that can be a laugh for a few hours. Beyond that, I'll leave it to those that have been more recently than I have.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

7. Received thanks from:

666moe666 (09-04-2024)

Thanks

Think Wet n Wild will be out, it closed in 2016

And they built Universal Volcano Bay on top of it. Another waterpark

Last time I went to the US was the early 90's. I expect so much has changed.
    Jon

9. Received thanks from:

666moe666 (09-04-2024)

Thanks

Go out to the Space Center, if SpaceX has a Falcon launch going. They're pretty regular..

Be warned that Florida is huge. You can't take a day trip to the Keys from Kissimmee.

https://www.fantasyofflight.com/collection/ is worth a visit. There's also https://floridaairmuseum.org. Honestly the best air museum in FL is in Pensacola, but that's not a day trip. You should also visit Jack Brown's! If you have money to spend: https://www.stallion51.com

For BBQ, try https://www.peeblesbbq.com. Be warned, it's very rustic...

If you like towns with some history, try St Augustine or Cedar Key. Personally I enjoy the atmosphere of Northern Florida and the Panhandle far more than the central and South, but it sounds like you're on The Disney Trip.

There's some great Scuba Diving on both coasts. You're a little too far from the big wrecks in the Keys or the Oriskany, but there's great drift diving from Jupiter or PBI, and some smaller wrecks. Venice is a great spot for hunting Megalodon teeth. I'm heading for Miami in May and will dive the Spiegel Grove at least a couple of times, but that's an overnight trip from ISM.

There's a Rodeo every Saturday at https://www.westgateresorts.com/hote...ivities/rodeo/

I'd also suggest finding the smallest local motor racing event you can. There are small tracks everywhere and some of the events can be amazing. https://freedomfactoryusa.com is a bigger location that's relatively close and has regular events.

11. Received thanks from:

666moe666 (09-04-2024),AGTDenton (21-03-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jonj1611 View Post
    Think Wet n Wild will be out, it closed in 2016

And they built Universal Volcano Bay on top of it. Another waterpark

Last time I went to the US was the early 90's. I expect so much has changed.
    That might make a visit a bit ... frustrating. Much the same here - early or mid-90's. But it was 4 or 5 times a year, for up to several weeks at a time, for about a decade before that. Ah, back in the day ......

/dozes off in reminiscence
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

About the only food-related thing I remember from that area is The Ponderosa in Kissimmee, off Highway 195, which I know is still there.
    I wasn't a massive foodie back in the 90s, but I still remember this one as being very good, with an all-you-can-eat buffet. I experienced several food firsts there, including PB&J sandwiches but also cool things like beef stroganof.

Might even be in/near the same shopping area AGT mentioned.....

14. Received thanks from:

666moe666 (09-04-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    About the only food-related thing I remember from that area is The Ponderosa in Kissimmee, off Highway 195, which I know is still there.
    I wasn't a massive foodie back in the 90s, but I still remember this one as being very good, with an all-you-can-eat buffet. I experienced several food firsts there, including PB&J sandwiches but also cool things like beef stroganof.

Might even be in/near the same shopping area AGT mentioned.....
    It's funny, I also had fond memories of The Ponderosa. I went back in 2008-ish, and it was a very different experience from what I remembered. It turns out it's a franchise, and in heavy decline. From 700 locations in the 80's to 13 today.

The American Buffect restaurant is another experience that some people might consider. Some of them are really an amazing feat of culinary existence!

16. Received thanks from:

666moe666 (09-04-2024)

Thread Information