• Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 20" widescreen
      • Internet:
      • Pipexpants

Cool Dissertations...

Fellow ex-students...

I just thought that now we are all finished with our degrees it might help out the people who are just starting or halfway through, to get an idea of what a dissertation entails.

So, Without futher ado...

I am offering "Multi Device Timetable Application" for BEng Internet Engineering

Abstract:
    The internet and its users are getting more and more diverse, so too are the types of devices that use the information provided in many different ways. A different device usually means a different way of presenting the data, creating more work for content managers and more situations where synchronisation of data becomes a problem. If one device accesses a site in one markup, it is expected that the data accessed with another markup should be the same; this is not always the case.
    There is a solution to this problem, use the same data, but use different markup depending on different devices.
    The groundwork for the Multi-Device Timetable addresses these issues and provides a base on which a more sophisticated application can be built, while allowing for the inevitable changes that come in such a fast paced technological society.
    I have hosted the main document and the appendices for anyone interested

Please remember that this is MY work, and therefore copyrighted to me and the university of wales, aberystwyth. I don't mind people using it, just put a reference in somewhere!

http://www.garionv.com/rai/Dissertation_ree1.doc
    http://www.garionv.com/rai/Appendices.doc

I'll host the source code too at some point... but if you want it before then, PM me and i'll sort something out.
    Last edited by tiggerai; 19-07-2005 at 12:17 PM.

Thanks
    I put mine on my website when I was looking for a job.

To be honest, I'm not very happy with it, despite getting a 1st for it. The code I wrote for it is terrible (which luckily wasn't taken into consideration in the marking) and I've been tempted to re-write it just to prove that I can write competent OO code.

The subject of mine was "Genetic Algorithms and their Application to Physics". In the report, I outline the basics of genetic algorithms and then use them to solve a quantum physics problem.

Abstract:

This report introduces a probabilistic method for search problems in physics – genetic algorithms. Genetic algorithms are based on Darwin’s theories of evolution and survival of the fittest and are designed to give a ‘good’ solution to a problem quickly.

After an overview of the mechanics of genetic algorithms has been completed and key terminology has been explained, an example of a problem that could be solved using genetic algorithms is examined in detail. In this example, key parameters are studied and their effect on the performance of the algorithm is discussed.

Finally, a problem from physics is detailed - fitting parameters of an effective nuclear
    interaction in Hartree-Fock theory. The genetic algorithm is applied to this problem and a set of parameters that minimize an error function is found.
    Word document
    PDF document (some of the graphs look a bit dodgy)
    Source code (not only did I manage to write some of the wrote code ever, I screwed up the compressed file )

I doubt that anyone here will be interested in mine though.

Thanks
    • Nick F's system
      • CPU:
      • 2.4Ghz C2D
      • Memory:
      • 4GB
      • Storage:
      • 320Gb internal / 750Gb external
      • Case:
      • Apple iMac
      • Operating System:
      • Mac OSx
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24inch
      • Internet:
      • 8mb BE connection
    heh on a slightly different topic here is my abstract

Title: Orthographic and Phonological Processing within the Two Cerebral Hemispheres

"Each cerebral hemisphere plays an important role in the decision of lexical tasks. Previous research has shown that the left hemisphere has a far greater ability to decode orthography to phonology over the right hemisphere which struggles to decode text to sound (Lavidor & Ellis 2003). Through the use of a lexical decision task using the masked prime paradigm we will try to identify the lexical decoding abilities of both cerebral hemispheres and prise the orthographic and phonological processing abilities apart from one another and locate them to a specific hemisphere. It is expected that both hemispheres will rely on orthographic processing to complete the lexical decision tasks and the left hemisphere will use its ability to decode orthography into phonology. The results indicate that there is a significant difference between the two hemispheres when faced with a lexical decision task, the left hemisphere shows faster processing than the right hemisphere. "

Thanks
    • Grey M@a's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K (With H100i cooling)
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, 1TB Cavier Black WD HD, 4TB Cavier Black WD HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390X Gaming Edition 8GB
      • PSU:
      • SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 850W Fully Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG 24GM77-B 144Hz
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin Media Cable
    I will upload mine from 2 years ago. Can't remember the title but I know it had something to do with using gaming technologies (OpenGL and DirectX) for animation rather than gaming, never seen so much code in my life :E

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    my old dissertation is linked off the front page of www.5lab.co.uk - got 68% overall and 71 for the report iirc, so worth a skim (if its possible to skim 19,000 words)

just getting into my 2nd one now..
    hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

Thanks
    • chriswood_7's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M2NE SLi
      • CPU:
      • AMD X2 5200+
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 1x 120GB + 1x 320GB Seagate IDE
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB BFG 8800GT OC2
      • PSU:
      • 680W Hiper PSU
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Soprano w/ Window
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" HPF50s
      • Internet:
      • 10Mbit Virgin Media
    LOL Sounds complicated to me, then again im not a programmer... Mine was 80 pages on Aerodynamic analysis of an open wheeled racing car using experimental and computational techniques..

Thankfully I didnt have to use any Fortran etc when doing my CFD, the joys of modern CFD software

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    My final year project feels like a weeks work now. Oh for the knowledge i had now when doing a degree heh.

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage: