Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mobilez innit!

Thanks
    I now have the equipment to unlock sony ericsson phones (I had to get it to get rid of all the horrid vodafone live firmware and customisations.) So if anyone wants their phone unlocked for free send me an e-mail. Of course, that would probably only work if you live near me and can pop 'round, but the offer is there..

Thanks
    Most O2 phones sold by O2 Retail (the O2 stores) come unlocked.... including my P900 allowing me to slap my T-mobile staff sim in

Thanks
    Ah but I had to move to vodafone. I've been with O2 for many years, but they wanted £110 to upgrade my handset. I switched to vodafone, transfered my number and they gave me the handset for a quid. They also threw in a DVD player as a free gift. Even given that I have to change the firmware I've still saved money over staying with O2. I guess they just didn't want me as a customer.

Registered+
    Thanks
    I have never understood mobile network companies and their policy about charging huge amounts for upgrades in order to keep your number. It is almost like they are trying to get rid of customers. To me the logical business course of action would be try to keep your existing customers, e.g. making it cheaper for them to stay rather than taking their number and thus money else where.

TeePee, what sort of equipment is it that you use to unlock Sony Ericsson phones?

Hope this is not too far off topic, but I am just interested to know if mobile phone numbers eventually get reused? I am guessing they probably do, but if not then the network companies' polices could be a problem in the future.
    "Keyboard missing - press F3 to continue" Message seen on an Apricot PC.
    "To start press any key. Where's the any key?" Homer Simpson.
    Hexus Trust

Oh no!I've re-dorkalated! Jiff Lemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mobile numbers are reused after 6 months.

It sucks that the Service providers all off great deals to buy a new phone a the expense of your number.

For example, I've been on contract with orange for 5 years. Last new phone was 2 years ago (Nokia 7110), so I fancy something new. The only thing they'll offer as a free upgrade is an 8310.

However, if I change to voda/o2/t-mobile, I can take my number, get new, decent phone for free and prolly a bundle of texts or calls. You'd think orange would fight to keep me, yes? Nope, they're happy to let you go.

Thanks
    Yeah, course they're happy to let you go, you obviously suck as a customer in that you're not making them any money. Mobile phone market is currently saturated so there aren't any incentives to get people to buy a phone, and now it's all about value-added customers. On average with the discounts offered for new connections the networks are only making their money back from the average (median) customer after month 11 of the 12 month contract. If you're not spending enough, you won't get a good upgrade and the network won't mind losing you to someone else for them to lose money over you. That's why they'll let you take your number to another network but not sign up as a new connection with all the offers/discounted phones and keep your old number.

Thanks
    err, spend on average about £50 - £60 a month so thats over £1,200 since my last "free" phone.

Thanks
    Probably an issue with your payment of bills or credit then That's the case with customers with us who have high monthly bills but low upgrade status. Get yourself to O2 Retail with your PAC and get a P900 foc on a £45/month tariff.

Thanks
    pay by Direct debit and have no problems with credit.

May look into O2 but need to find a phone that gets me excited.

Thanks
    I used a Dongle and Div 8.4 software. Like so, in fact http://www.cellular-support.com/nuke/contentid-7.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information