Thread: The BBC (and every other part of the western media) have completely let me down

Thanks

The BBC (and every other part of the western media) have completely let me down

When President Bush turned up at the White House Correspondents' Association Dinner and did his skit with an impersonator, I thought it was pretty funny. In fact I checked some transcripts out on the BBC news website, and had a second laugh- at Bush's expense. IMO you must be desperate if your main comedy turn is laughing at your own ineptitude- but I was forced to give the guy some credit for having the balls to invite people to laugh at him. IRL I myself am largely a ridiculous figure of fun amongst my friends, so I can sympathise.

Now maybe I'm opening up myself to heckles of internet n00bism here- but until today, whereapon I stumpled across this via a series of random links originating at DansData, I wasn't aware that Bush's own comedy turn had been followed by an act of, frankly, all time comedy genius.

Here it is.

Now maybe as a prejudiced liberal nutter I find that funnier than most people. Judge for yourself. My real beef is that not one mainstream media outlet in Britain brought it to my attention. I'm not bothered that the Mail, the Express or the Telegraph didn't notify me- after all I don't pay for them. The BBC OTOH I can't forgive. I've thought that they've been pretty crap since Lord Hutton decided to rape them up the backside- now I've totally lost all faith in them.

When I had faith that they were an independent body I was happy to pay my £120 a year even though I thought most of their programs were crap, just because I trusted their newsgathering and I liked watching Blue Planet. Now though.... sod 'em. I don't watch a lot of telly anyway and if my wife wants to carry on watching TV she can find the money herself. I've got the internet to get my facts and entertainment.

I hereby declare the BBC dead. And here's a big **** you to the New Labour government who killed them.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    i'll watch it tomorrow (my battery is flat), but that ain't bad.

gotta have balls to do it where he did - but then again, at least he was able to. can you imagine getting away with that at a labour conference? you'd be physically ejected before you can say "tony's grin is scary"

Thanks
    Quite- I have many problems with America and especially with the current administration. I sure as hell will not travel there until they relax their stupid immigration rules- hey, their loss. They don't get my tourism dollars. But, yeah, Colbert's address went out live on US TV.

However, I see it as the BBC's job to keep me informed of the balance of worldwide political oppinion- and in this instance they have manifestly failed. If someone can provide a backdated link to their story on the 'Colbert Address' then I'll eat my words and apologise- but I'm on the internet allthebloodytime and never far from the BBC's site, so (albeit that I'm setting myself up for a fall) I don't think it was on there. Maybe I'm wrong, and I'm not too proud to backtrack. Anyone?
    Last edited by Rave; 10-06-2006 at 01:38 AM.

Thanks
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • 1x 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD 2x640gb HGST raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Silencio 352
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband
    I found amusement in the title of the clip - "Colbert Roasts President Bush - 2006 White House Correspondents Dinner" I thought roasting was the preserve of premiership football players.

Anyway - I don't beleive the BBC is impartial anymore, which is a shame because it's looked upon for balanced reporting the world over.
    "Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be." Frank Zappa. ----------- "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Huang Po.----------- "A drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind", - Ride.

Thanks
    I saw that a couple of weeks ago, and thought you were talking about that, before I clicked the link. Some of the best bits in that are where he is talking about the press, and the camera cuts to the press, just sitting there looking nervous.

Have you seen The Colbert Report? It's a really good show.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rave
    If someone can provide a backdated link to their story on the 'Colbert Address' then I'll eat my words and apologise- but I'm on the internet allthebloodytime and never far from the BBC's site, so (albeit that I'm setting myself up for a fall) I don't think it was on there. Maybe I'm wrong, and I'm not too proud to backtrack. Anyone?
    Well, I could only find this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4959380.stm

Comedian Stephen Colbert - well-known for his jibes at the Washington establishment in his show The Colbert Report - was the evening's featured entertainer.

He paid a mock tribute to the president as a man who, "believes Wednesday what he believed Monday, despite what happened Tuesday".

"I believe that the government that governs best is a government that governs least," he told the audience, "and by these standards we have set up a fabulous government in Iraq".
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Thanks
    Hmm- well at least they mentioned it, so I'll eat my words to some extent, but it hardly reflects the true impact of his performance which was apparently huge (most played on Google Video, number one download on iTunes etc. etc.).

we'll see about that... alterion's Avatar
    Thanks
    this is why a diggdot.us feed is essential.. http://thankyoustephencolbert.org to be fair it did go down a storm in the us
    AMD3000+ ATIX800XL + GBNF44x mobo.. all at stock because they're good enough atm + CA A1 amp-->Mission 73S Loigtech MX1000 + 1GB ram + 1/3 TB HD array
    Wintendo XP + Linux (when it works) .. just incase you were wondering

Back in Sunny UK...and it is sunny too :D...pleasant surprise.
    Thanks
    I lost my last shred of whatever faith I had in the BBC when 2 guys from my regiment were beaten by a mob and then murdered by PIRA in Belfast 1988. The whole thing was on film and the Beeb refused to hand over their film of the event. They gave a reason, I can't remember what it was. I thought it lame. They have no credibility in my eyes.

For those of you not familiar with the event then an article can be found here: http://www.palacebarracksmemorialgar...%20Signals.htm

Mind you reporting on the BBC world service that 2 Para was about to assault Goose Green (Falkland islands) only refrained from being the mother and father of a bloodbath because the Argentinians didn't believe we would be so stupid and thought it a ruse to direct their forces there. Nothing like getting your scoop in early.
    Last edited by RVF500; 11-06-2006 at 12:01 AM.
    "You want loyalty? ......get a dog!"

Thread Information