Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air Crash Investigation (national geographic)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AD-15
    What I don't understand then, is why do retailers offer those blank VHS tapes (well, used to) and DVD media for these purposes?
    Well it dosen't actually tell you to use them for that purpose....
    Contrary to the odd name and translucent-grey color, Pocari Sweat does not taste like sweat
    Hardware:

Main PC
    - See 'My System'
    Server - Athlon XP 1700+, 1GB, 500GB HD
    Laptop - Compaq AMD Turion 64 X2, 60GB HD, 1GB
    Media Centre Shuttle - P4 3.0 Skt 775 Shuttle, 1GB, 120GB HD
    NAS - 400GB
    Home Entertainment - Xbox 360 with 37" HD LCD TV, Acoustic Energy Aegis EVO A speakers (5,1), Yamaha RXV359 AV reciever
    Media Centre II - X2 4000+, 1GB, 400Gb Vista Ultimate

Thanks
    • AD-15's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage II Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 920 @4.45GHz!!!! (No HT)
      • Memory:
      • 3x2GB G.Skill Trident
      • Storage:
      • 1x 160, 1x 250 (Both 16MB cache SATA2 WD)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 460 1GB @ 815, 1013MHz
      • PSU:
      • 850W Corsair HX Series Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 700D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Dell E228WFP
    But how else would you use them? DVD's, yeah, I agree with you there, but you can only really use VHS blank tapes for recording things from TV, right?

Thanks
    i suppose you could always copy your home movies to VHS

its the same with P2P programs tho - you use them to download even though your not supposed to - but what else can you use them for?
    Contrary to the odd name and translucent-grey color, Pocari Sweat does not taste like sweat
    Hardware:

Main PC
    - See 'My System'
    Server - Athlon XP 1700+, 1GB, 500GB HD
    Laptop - Compaq AMD Turion 64 X2, 60GB HD, 1GB
    Media Centre Shuttle - P4 3.0 Skt 775 Shuttle, 1GB, 120GB HD
    NAS - 400GB
    Home Entertainment - Xbox 360 with 37" HD LCD TV, Acoustic Energy Aegis EVO A speakers (5,1), Yamaha RXV359 AV reciever
    Media Centre II - X2 4000+, 1GB, 400Gb Vista Ultimate

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by htid
    Anyway, recording from tv or radio is also illegal as far as i know, isn't it?
    No, section 70 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act (1988) specifically permits time shifting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Copyright, Designs and Patents Act (1988)
    The making for private and domestic use of a recording of a broadcast or cable programme solely for the purpose of enabling it to be viewed or listened to at a more convenient time does not infringe any copyright in the broadcast or cable programme or in any work included in it.

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    Quote Originally Posted by AD-15
    I know most people download LOST instead of watching it on Channel 4, and that's legal, so I'm pretty sure this is too.

No, I'm pretty sure it's not.
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Thanks
    Let's assume that downloading lost from the net is legal just for now (which it isn't).

Why would anyone go out and buy the DVD then?

You have us all here saying that downloading lost is illegal, but I honestly can't see you not downloading any US shows again, as you have it in your head that it's OK to download it, rather than wait for the DVD. Therefore, I really don't see the point of this thread if you're not going to change your ways.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre
    geeze seriously guys, this is at least the 4th thread on downloading tv episodes this year! Each time it's the same questions, the same stupid arguemnets for it.

To put it simply first. Downloading Copywrited TV episodes, Movies, Applications, Games, Music via Bit torrent, IRC, Usenet, FTP, Limewire etc is ILLEGAL in the UK. 100%. No question about it. A TV program is a copywrited work, and you pay to watch each and every one in some way - even if you don't realise it.

Generally this is via your TV licence - and that licence, combined with advertising, pays for you to be able to watch terrestrial TV. The people who created the programs are being paid, so it's like a transaction in a shop - you pay and get your goods.

So what about sky, cable etc? Well there again you pay - a subscription this time - and then sky/ntl/telewest/whoever pays the content producer, same system.

All you are allowed to do is 'time shift' for a reasonable period of time after the program has been aired. So if you are not going to be around to watch a program which you have paid for, you are allowed to record it until you can watch it. This does NOT include archiving however, so technically all those old videos of programs from the 90's are illegal too..

You lend these recordings to other people - even if they are also licence/subscription payers. They would need to make their own time shifted recordings. The media used however doesn't matter - which makes TV rips etc legal to MAKE, but not to distribute or download. So while you could make your own TV rip - if you go to www.randomtorrentsite.com and download the latest LOST via torrent, you are breaking the law and depriving the content creators of some of their money.

In short - althoguh aircraft investigation is a good program ( I love it lol, its ace ), it is 100% illegal in the UK to download the episodes - even if you have a sky subscription which includes the chan..sorry

as for the use of VHS tapes etc - time shifting and home movies, same as for dvds etc
    Last edited by Spud1; 18-06-2006 at 08:30 AM.

G4Z
    Thanks
    • G4Z's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR2 5300
      • Storage:
      • 2.5Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD4870 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 470W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Acer 24" TFT's
      • Internet:
      • 16mb sky ADSL2
    Spud, I agree there is no question it is illegal, however I would say there is an argument to be made that in fact this kind of thing should not be illegal because it criminalises a large (possibly a majority now?) section of society. When we start to criminalise everybody then really we should be having a re-think of our laws and how our society is structured. Copyright has been corrupted from its original intention anyway and with content producers retaining rights for over 70 years after the death of the artist you have to wonder if there will ever be such a thing as "public domain" ever again?

Either that or the govt loves the idea of so many people breaking the law (theres a famous quote about that that I just cannot rememeber atm). For now its only copyright infringement and a civil matter however I do not think it will be very long before downloading is made criminal with an equivilence to theft.
    HEXUS FOLDING TEAM It's EASY

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre
    To a point I agree G4z, and so does the government - how many people have been arrested for archiving tv recordings?? None afaik, and thats illegal too.

That doesn't make it right though, irrespective of the laws - you are potentially taking money away from people who work hard for it. Granted less so if you have a sky subscription and a tv licence, but there are many that don't.

It's the same with many other things that are illegal but 'everyone' (read, a large proportion of people) does anyway - speeding is a prime example of late.

The way the government is heading though I seriously doubt they will relent on this anti piracy thing. The way MORE control over us (anti terror laws for example?) not less, so they will continue to pressurise etc. The anti terror laws themselves *should* be illegal, but they are not, the benefit of living in a UKUS country eh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information