• Storage:
      • 1x80GB Maxtor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 640MB 8800GT
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS M221u
      • Internet:
      • Be Value
    I was in a long distance relationship for 10 months up until last february. She lived in Basingstoke and I lived in Bolton. To see eachother would cost £60 on a train, and that would only be for a day or two. We did that for those 10 months, until we decided to save a little cash by not going on trains every two weeks, and moving in together.

Still together now, 9 months or so later, and loving it/her to bits.

Tumble's Rear Gunner
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Theo
    I was in a long distance relationship for 10 months up until last february. She lived in Basingstoke and I lived in Bolton. To see eachother would cost £60 on a train, and that would only be for a day or two. We did that for those 10 months, until we decided to save a little cash by not going on trains every two weeks, and moving in together.

Still together now, 9 months or so later, and loving it/her to bits.
    wish i wish i really wish, we could do that, but unfortunately my uni commitments mean we cant and altho i/he would love him to come over and live with me for the last year. I wouldnt do any work

oh well, it isnt that long off............

Thanks
    Absence makes the heart grow fonder n all that

Thanks
    Originally posted by [GSV]Trig
    Absence makes the heart grow fonder n all that
    For every saying like that, there's usually an equal and opposite saying, that one may quote whichever is applicable at the time. This is excluding deliberate mis-quotations, such as, "Absence makes the heart/eyes/mind wander," etc.

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    Originally posted by David
    eeek whats with all the relationship stuff? Does it say 'Help for Relationships - the new root for HEXUS!'
    Davey-poo! How can you be so insensitive!

Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Thanks
    Originally posted by eldren
    For every saying like that, there's usually an equal and opposite saying, that one may quote whichever is applicable at the time. This is excluding deliberate mis-quotations, such as, "Absence makes the heart/eyes/mind wander," etc.
    that really doesnt help.

Thanks
    Originally posted by eldren
    This is true, I could also go for a more personality based reply as well but I was trying to be reassuring

Thanks
    you shoulda gone for the "personality" reply Trig.... it would have had more comedic value

and on a more serious note - ya just need goals to work towards, and things'll be fine... they are fine wooo!

Quote Originally Posted by The Quentos
    "My udder is growing. Quick pass me the parsely sauce." Said Oliver.

Banned
    Thanks
    I dont see how long distance relationships work... unless ya "both" madly in love and have no *other* temptations when away from ya partner.

If ya both madly in love it SHOULD work
    if only one or neither is madly in love... you'll have temptations with other people... and ... that ends up one person lying to the next to get away with it and then the trust breaks down etc etc..

Thanks
    • wilsonian's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X570 TUF
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen R7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB 3600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung1TB 970 EVO M.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon RX570 Nitro+
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 850W Gold
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-B25F
    i've been going out with my g/f now just over two years - but in june 2002 i had to wave her off as she moved to ireland for a year -12 months - 365 days - it was hell. i found that because she was meeting new people i got not only paranoid but lonely as for calls were short and sweet (due to her working hours). my advice to any one in a long distance relationship is good comunication. so what about the cost of the phone bill (i called t-mobile and made a deal with them ) if your not happy with something don't bottle it up because - as i found out - when u do meet for a few days - hours, you end up arguing about it. and that was my greatest down fall.

on the other hand she finished her years work there (part of a uni course) and we're still going strong - although she has changed a bit.

but like i said - good comunication. all these people complaining that i costs them £60 to see each other. i had to pay that one way with ryan air!! although one time i did get it for a penny each way and only pay airport tax (£10 each way)!!!

oh and if they can get online - abuse it. mine couldn't and it killed me!

Thanks
    Originally posted by Russ
    I live about 1km from my gf, and i never stop thinkin about her, aint enough minutes in the day, so i couldnt dedicate just one.
    awww. thats sweet

Thanks
    Well just to add my two pence worth:

I have been in a long distance relationship for four years now. Started off for the first two years being 45 miles apart and seeing each other every other weekend (during sixth form). Then it moved on too living 200 miles apart for the last two years (university).

We now get to see each other once every three weeks for a couple of days, sometimes even a month between visits. But we do spend most of our holidays together.

It is not a easy thing to do and for those asking how you stay faithfull I just have to say cheating never even crosses my mind. I am very much in love with her and nothing is going to change that. Trust is not a issue as I trust her with all my heart and always have done.

I can imagine how hard it is for some people to understand how it works but that doesnt mean to say it wont work. Yes I miss her like mad when she is not around and getting in the car to drive home is one of the hardest things I have to do.

It is going to be another year or two before we get to be with each other properly but it is a price we have to pay for a lifetime of happiness.

Soppy post I know, but it goes to show it can work. All you have to do is put your trust and love into each other and youll get by no matter how long the wait.

Good luck

Thanks
    Well methinks I beat most of you when it comes to LDR's...

I've been dating my gf for almost 4 years and for the first 3 years I'd only see her once a month at weekends on average. On top of that it took 5 hours, 5 trains and a 100quid return ticket to get there.

Now she's a mere 6000 miles away in Japan and I don't know exactly when I'm gonna see her next...

Definately use all forms of communication that you have at your disposal whether its email (pics / text), online chat, regular phone (www.swiftcall.com anyone?), even video clips, pix and text sent to a mobile phone on the spur of the moment are cool. Don't forget about writing letters, making mix tapes / CDs / DVDs, recording your voice and whatever else.

Oh, and accept the fact that its gonna get you down sometimes; best way to deal with it is work towards certain goals you set yourself, whether they be time, financial, physical or whatever based. Count those days off on the calendar as its very satisfying to have a mass of significant 'X's on there....

Just my 2p...

Thanks
    Originally posted by wilsonian
    on the other hand she finished her years work there (part of a uni course) and we're still going strong - although she has changed a bit.

This is what I meant by personality responce, when your with someone and u see them all the time u dont notice the changes but when your apart you will notice changes in eachother and this is likely to happen due to age and uni as both tend to change people...

Thanks
    The success of long distance relationships depends on the two people. Generally they don't work, I'm in near 2 yr relationship which has just gone long distance and it doesn't look like it's gonna last.

Tumble's Rear Gunner
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Slick
    The success of long distance relationships depends on the two people. Generally they don't work, I'm in near 2 yr relationship which has just gone long distance and it doesn't look like it's gonna last.
    Has yours always been long distance tho? cos we met thru my flatmate at uni and have maintained our relationship thru distance, so maybe one of the reasons we seem to be coping is that we arent missing out on something we are used to?

I dunno.... but i spose u cant miss what u havent had can u?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information