• godsdog's system
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 204B
      • Internet:
      • UKFSN ..have to check

Re: New monitor time

Genuinely. The only thing I've ever noticed as a stand-out-it-bothers-me thing with a decent TN is vertical viewing angle.

The Samsung 204B I use every day has all the brilliance and clarity I could wish for, but the vertical viewing angle is poor. No escaping that. On the other side though, I don't disco dance when I'm in front of the screen so it doesn't bother me. But I'd be lying if I said it wasn't there and have found it common in most TN's I encounter.
    "Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice: Pull down your pants and slide on the ice"

2. Received thanks from:

peterb (31-01-2008)

Thanks

If you work day-to-day with both (got a TN at work) you'll quickly realise just how poor at colour reproduction and depth TNs are.

Monitors aren't like CPUs. Get the best you can afford and it'll last you 5+ years.

4. Received thanks from:

peterb (31-01-2008)

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks - looked at that - TN - and a bit large.

Quote Originally Posted by godsdog View Post
    Genuinely. The only thing I've ever noticed as a stand-out-it-bothers-me thing with a decent TN is vertical viewing angle.

The Samsung 204B I use every day has all the brilliance and clarity I could wish for, but the vertical viewing angle is poor. No escaping that. On the other side though, I don't disco dance when I'm in front of the screen so it doesn't bother me. But I'd be lying if I said it wasn't there and have found it common in most TN's I encounter.
    Thank you - I am wondering if I'm making too much of this (too much knowledge!!) and going TN widens up the scope considerably. I have looked at the Samsung - but they have second sourced the panels - the second source having a poorer reputation that the Samsung mfrd panels.

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    If you work day-to-day with both (got a TN at work) you'll quickly realise just how poor at colour reproduction and depth TNs are.

Monitors aren't like CPUs. Get the best you can afford and it'll last you 5+ years.
    True - but that rules out WS below 24" - which may not be a problem tbh - nice to have, but not essential.

This one (which I posted a retailer link to earlier) NEC Display Solutions

does keep calling me - so perhaps I might need to live with the existing one for another month or so and save up a few more pennies.
    Last edited by peterb; 31-01-2008 at 12:43 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • godsdog's system
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 204B
      • Internet:
      • UKFSN ..have to check

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I have looked at the Samsung - but they have second sourced the panels - the second source having a poorer reputation that the Samsung mfrd panels.
    I didn't know that and with that in mind I would be very careful. If I was given the choice again for normal screen I would buy the 204B provided it was exactly the same as i have now. Any drop in quality would make me feel cheated and would be unacceptable, what i have now is a nice price / performance balance - just.

I'd have gone with the HP originally but it was very over priced imo. Now? With the HP the same price (£252) (roughly) as the Samsung I would have gone HP. That much I do know.

I ended up spending two Saturday afternoons in various monitor stockists getting my head round normal and WS - It's so personal and subjective, and I'm still undecided which i prefer.
    "Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice: Pull down your pants and slide on the ice"

Thread Information