Thread: ABit Geforce FX 5800 OTES Problems...

Thanks

ABit Geforce FX 5800 OTES Problems...

I got one of these, and as soon as i bootup i get Green N's allover the screen, and it does the beeping code for no graphics card?
    any ideas plz
    AMD 64 3400, Geforce FX 5800, 2x 80GB HDD, ASUS K8V Deluxe, Kingston PC3200 1GB valueram.

You are feeling sleepy... acidrainy's Avatar
    Thanks
    weird, have you tried reseting the CMOS?
    or, have you made sure there is no short circuit or anything?

Probably not related... I had this problem after a thunder storm once with my old TNT2. Turned out the a lightning bolt fried my modem and when it was in a PCI slot the system thought there was no gfx card!

Banned
    Thanks
    Has the card ever worked in your system before, and have you seen it working in another PC? I assume you have connected the IDE power lead, have tried everything at stock (ie no o/c's inc CPU) and have a suitably capable PSU too. If the PC works fine with another gfx card in there then you should find the gfx card is either faulty or has some freak incompatibility. Give us as much specifics about your system as possible. FX5800 @ 500/1000 is a hot and noisy beast but the heat shouldn't give you probs from a cold start. Best of luck!

Thanks
    i have done all the things you have both said.
    it did work before but now it appears dead.
    Last edited by sja360; 15-08-2003 at 11:27 AM.
    AMD 64 3400, Geforce FX 5800, 2x 80GB HDD, ASUS K8V Deluxe, Kingston PC3200 1GB valueram.

Banned
    Thanks
    Probably dead then. You stand a chance of getting a superior FX5900 as a replacement though so not all bad. nVidia released the FX5800 due to many problems with 0.13mu and DDR-II, it was never truly intended to be a workable useable card really, just to make people think nVidia weren't playing catch up to ATI. If the card died as a direct result of any o/c'ing then you won't get a RMA but if it's a design fault you may still get lucky. 500/1000 was really faster than these cards should have been clocked really, again nVidia just needed a little more time to truly perfect (or at least improve) the GF-FX archy which they did for the FX5600 & FX5900. Perhaps try underclocking the card and see if it helps at all...

Thanks
    i have something to tell you all.
    i screwed the graphics card myself.
    i went to fit a CPU waterblock (no laughin) to it.
    and it appears i fried the chip
    also the fan connector has been cut.
    any ideas on how to solve/rma it?
    i need a replacement its about 4-5 weeks old
    come on people i'm knew to this, although its a stupid mistake.
    p.s. i bought it off a guy about 2 weeks ago where he got it from Aria Computer Products
    should i send it to them or abit?

slave of the hypnotoad
    Thanks
    i won't go into the morality of rma'ing a product which you have damaged through mis-use, but if you did i would suggest that you send it back to Aria, with the receipt, which if you don't have you should aquire from the person you bought it from. you might also like to fix any obvious physical signs that it has been tampered with, so if the fan connector has been physically cut then i suggest you repair it somehow, or you'll have a hard job explaining how it came to be like that.

Thanks
    ok thanks
    i feel a RITE **** doing that
    i shall stick to air cooling for a while yet

Banned
    Thanks
    There's no point everybody getting holier than thou on this. If you do RMA you should inform them of the situation or at least divulge it if asked. Unfort this is the downside of modding or o/c'ing anything that costs a lot to replace ... at least 9600pro offers very good perf for relatively little money and the £149 Grandmars 9700 once o/c'ed a little is easily as fast as FX5800 prob inc 500/1000 clocks.

Thread Information