Thread: GPU Weird clicking/buzzing sound

Thanks

GPU Weird clicking/buzzing sound

I've had my computer for about a week and as of this afternoon, the GPU (a HIS 7950) started getting really hot. Looking into it further in MSI Afterburner, the voltage was downclocked to 825, from the stock 1031. It has been running at 1031 up until this afternoon. I moved the voltage back to stock and it immediately has this weird sound in the video. Does not matter if it is under full load or idle. The sound is constant. Whenever I reboot the computer or it goes to sleep, it auto-downvolts back to 825. There is no sound at 825. Nothing on the card was OC'd and I even tried it with the 2nd bios and the same thing happens. The higher I turn up the voltage, the worse the sound is. There are no visual problems on screen like artifacts or stuttering. Just the noise. It's not coil whine or the fans either, I've checked the fan controls with different speeds and this does not affect it.

Since I don't have enough posts to post URLS, please enter in RLtkXYUb60s into Google search. That is the Youtube ID of this video.

Here are some specs from the essentials....
    My PSU = EVGA Supernova 750 B1
    MOtherboard = Gigabyte X79-UP4
    GPU = HIS ICEQ 7950 Boost

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, I literally just registered 5 min ago. Still trying to find my way around here. Thank you for looking at this.

-Colin

Should I be looking at the GPU or the PSU as the culprit? How would I test to find out?

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Re: GPU Weird clicking/buzzing sound

Sounds more like a heat issue. Are you familiar with GPUz ?
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Thanks

Heat is not getting above 60c. The case has good airflow and I have the gpu fan set to 55%. Heat was only an issue as soon as the GPU kept undervolting. It heats up real quick until I put it back to the stock voltage at 1031. That is of course when I start gettting that weird noise.

Thank you for the quick reply by the way. I have been dropping this same post all over the well populated tech forum web sites since last night. This is the first response I have gotten.
    Last edited by BudMovin; 11-03-2015 at 10:28 PM.

Thanks

Reflashed the bios and that has seemed to alleviate the problem, in case anyone else was suffering from this.

Thread Information