Thread: Looking for advice on a new mid-range-card for about 250 to 300 bucks

Thanks

Looking for advice on a new mid-range-card for about 250 to 300 bucks

Hello There.

I would like to buy a new graphics card because my old one is a bit outdated. I'm not a hardcore gamer so I don't need the latest model. I was thinking about a good mid-range-card for about 250 to 300 bucks. I all ready checked out some website for classified adds like https://www.easyprices.com/f/Home/Re...=graphics+card. But there are so many cards, it's really hard to nail it down. So far my picks are a Radeon RX 480 and a Geforce GTX 1060. With regard to the price, they fit into my budget. Furthermore I found a Radeon R9 390/390X and a GeForce GTX 980/970. They are a bit cheaper.

Can anybody tell my the difference and recommend a model? And what about the different manufactures or “versions” like EVAG, Palit or Gigabyte. Some are cheaper and some are more expensive. Why is that? Can anybody explain that to me?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm not a big hardware crack. I just want to get an new graphics card.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Cheers. Mike.
    Last edited by Michael24; 16-02-2017 at 05:10 AM.

Thanks

Re: Looking for advice on a new mid-range-card for about 250 to 300 bucks

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    Hello There.

I would like to buy a new graphics card because my old one is a bit outdated. I'm not a hardcore gamer so I don't need the latest model. I was thinking about a good mid-range-card for about 250 to 300 bucks.
    There are so many cards, it's really hard to nail it down. So far my picks are a Radeon RX 480 and a Geforce GTX 1060. With regard to the price, they fit into my budget. Furthermore I found a Radeon R9 390/390X and a GeForce GTX 980/970. They are a bit cheaper.

Can anybody tell my the difference and recommend a model? And what about the different manufactures or “versions” like EVAG, Palit or Gigabyte. Some are cheaper and some are more expensive. Why is that? Can anybody explain that to me?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm not a big hardware crack. I just want to get an new graphics card.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Cheers. Mike.
    Can't anybody give my some advice?

Thanks
    • PowerPie5000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MPG B550 Gaming Carbon WiFi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600 + Noctua NH-U12A Cooler
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (4X8GB) Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3600 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 512GB Sabrent Rocket M.2 NVME SSD + 3TB Toshiba P300 SATA HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8GB AMD Radeon RX 5700 - PowerColor Red Dragon
      • PSU:
      • 750W Riotoro Enigma G2 Modular PSU (Seasonic Focus Plus Gold)
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Eclipse P400A
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" LG UltraGear 27GL850-B - 144Hz 1440P Nano IPS
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk Fibre 76Mb

The R9 390 & 390X GPUs are still pretty capable, but they are not exactly the most efficient (very power hungry!)... I'd still consider one if the price is right though. I would personally choose the RX 480 over a GTX 1060 too as it'll only get better with the latest DX12 and Vulkan based games. AMD have a knack for improving performance with driver updates. I wouldn't bother with a GTX 970 and the GTX 980 is still ok if you find one at a good price.

I'm personally not too bothered about sticking to a certain brand... I just go for whichever one has the best balance when it comes to load temperatures and noise levels (I hate unnecessarily loud fans!). The aesthetics could also influence my choice to an extent if I'm looking to colour match my entire build. If you buy a reference "blower" model then pretty much any brand will do (just choose the cheapest).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
    The R9 390 & 390X GPUs are still pretty capable, but they are not exactly the most efficient (very power hungry!)... I'd still consider one if the price is right though. I would personally choose the RX 480 over a GTX 1060 too as it'll only get better with the latest DX12 and Vulkan based games. AMD have a knack for improving performance with driver updates. I wouldn't bother with a GTX 970 and the GTX 980 is still ok if you find one at a good price.

I'm personally not too bothered about sticking to a certain brand... I just go for whichever one has the best balance when it comes to load temperatures and noise levels (I hate unnecessarily loud fans!). The aesthetics could also influence my choice to an extent if I'm looking to colour match my entire build. If you buy a reference "blower" model then pretty much any brand will do (just choose the cheapest).
    Alright. Thanks for the reply.

Thanks

Registered+
    Thanks

you cant go wrong with ether choice. bot cards a really capable. just get the one you can find cheaper. you should be able to get a RX480 8GB for around 220.

Thread Information