Thread: Radeon 9800 questions

Thanks

Radeon 9800 questions

I'm thinking about getting a 9800 Pro and moving my ti4600 down the food chain to my #2 home PC or maybe my work PC so I can get my game on at work. A few questions before I buy since I've always been an Nvidiot b/c they have better drivers.....

1st: I'm going to uninstall the Det's before installing 9800 obviously, but should I use one of those DET blaster programs that removes every trace of them (to keep from having to reinstall windows or having problems)

2nd: For people with 9800's have you had any problems with stability playing Soldier of Fortune 2, Quake 3 (Rocket Arena), or Wolf ET. Those are my current favorites that I play all the time.
    If so any recommendation on which CAT drivers to install.

Thanks.

Wats ur tale mothergoose?
    Thanks
    • Korky's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35-Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 160GB WD RE2 RAID0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD 4870x2
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W
      • Case:
      • Cheapo
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista 32bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 18" Hanns.G / 42" Panasonic G20
      • Internet:
      • 10Mbit Cable
    install the latest 3.7 cat drivers, nvidia's *better drivers* pro is almost gone cause ati's drivers are very gd now.
    3D Mark 2k1 - 20661

If you get a customer, or an employee, who thinks he's Charles Bronson, take the butt of your gun and smash their nose in.

Thanks
    I've always been an Nvidiot b/c they have better drivers.....
    ignorant ****.

Thanks
    Thats nice...

Best bet is to boot into safe mode or VGA mode before uninstalling the dets, switch cards, boot and install!

Thanks
    Hadn't had any problems with any of the games u listed, however.

Can I suggest that you format instead of uninstalling the old dets, as I had many issues when uninstalling them from a gf3 going to a radeon 9800 pro. Funny enough, once formatted, all the problems were gone. I don't know if I had uninstalled them incorrectly but it seemed that the drivers wern't 100% gone.
    Acer Travelmate 8104WMLi
    P-M 2.0 Ghz
    2Gb DDR533 Corsair RAM
    100Gb 7200rpm Seagtae HD
    128Mb ATi x700 Mobility

Thanks
    ignorant ****.
    Nice, friendly reply. Well done.

And he's hardly ignorant. Up until the later Radeon 8500/early Radeon 9700 days, ATi driver support was very poor. Then they managed to pull their socks up and just look at the results...

Thanks
    the first 9700 drivers were fine, a few small issues but generally fine ONLY 8500 / other early cards had rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbishe drivers, but they were also rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbishe cards really... the geforce cards were better value/faster.

atis drivers have been good since atleast b4 i got my card, which was about febuary iirc, and they are perfect now... i still often hear ppl saying no to ati cards because of drivers. btw he said HAVE not HAD so he is implying they still suck... fo he is an ignorant bastard. and lol @ all the ppl that bought fx5900Us, well done @ buying the inferior card. *OWNED*

use drivers @ www.omegacorner.com they are same as ati ones but better, dont ask me why it says on the site.

Thanks
    • wilsonian's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X570 TUF
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen R7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB 3600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung1TB 970 EVO M.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon RX570 Nitro+
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 850W Gold
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-B25F
    personally i would buy the best card out there, not going off who made it but how it performs.

thats why i had a GeForce 2GTS, then once battle field had problems i promptly went out and bought a Radeon 9700 Pro. i think Nvidia have gone down the tubes a little, using the technology they bought from 3DFX and expanding it, has proven much.

ATi drivers centainly have changed for ther better as i remember having so much trouble with my dad's rage 128

atm it has to be ATi, lets see what Nvidia can pull out of the hat, besides a Rabbit.

Thanks
    • steve threlfall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 WFP 24" Widescreen, Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb
    Originally posted by |SilentDeath|
    the first 9700 drivers were fine, a few small issues but generally fine ONLY 8500 / other early cards had rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbishe drivers, but they were also rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbishe cards really... the geforce cards were better value/faster.

atis drivers have been good since atleast b4 i got my card, which was about febuary iirc, and they are perfect now... i still often hear ppl saying no to ati cards because of drivers. btw he said HAVE not HAD so he is implying they still suck... fo he is an ignorant bastard. and lol @ all the ppl that bought fx5900Us, well done @ buying the inferior card. *OWNED*

use drivers @ www.omegacorner.com they are same as ati ones but better, dont ask me why it says on the site.
    !!!!!!!!!!! FANBOY ALERT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grow up you 13 year old

How is someone a bas***d for buying a different card

Thanks
    ah the maturity of this thread is astonishing... well actually the maturity of |silent death|

anyway.. id go for a fresh format & install for many reasons... always gets the most out of a computer, cleans up the registry and allows you to sort all your drivers out neatly only installing components you will actually use/need!

Thanks
    I hate formatting! I have EVERYTHING just the way I want it.... it takes me hours to reinstall all the of software, MS patches & tweaks, etc. Last time I repartitioned a seperate part of the drive for MP3's, downloads & patches so things would be easier but its still a pain in the butt.

I think I'm going to wait about another month to see what happens to prices when they both release their refresher products for Xmas buying season. And probably buy a 9800 Pro then.

Obviously the FX structure is lacking compared to ATI in this generation. Maybe Nv will get it straight next generation in about a year & half when I will need a PCI-Xpress graphics card.

Nvidia has had the better product/drivers in the past, until the 9700

Once ATI had a really kick ass piece of hardware I think the sales on them help fund their driver development. I know this will kick up some flames from ATI fanboys.

But instead of bitching you should be happy. I've gone from:
    a GeForce256 SDR 32MB to
    a GeForce2 GTS 32MB to
    a GeForce4 ti4600 128MB to
    probably an ATI 9800 Pro
    unless Nv pulls some rabbit out the hat that give them better performance at a reasonable price (not $400) and does not sacrifice quality to do so.
    Last edited by chrisf6969; 19-09-2003 at 06:54 PM.

Ravens Nest
    chrisf6969 dont format, when you get your radeon card give this guide a try first.

first go into safemode and remove the nvidia drivers from add\remove panel

Then run Drivercleaner to clean out the old drivers
    http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

restart and install the new drivers (Catalyst 3.7 at the moment)
    I prefer the Omega customised drivers myself..
    www.omegacorner.com

Obviously if anyone has a better program for cleaning the old nvidia drivers then let chrisf6969 know?

It might be worth waiting like you say, ATI are supposed to be bundling Halflife 2 with there videocards when it (HL2) is released.
    Last edited by Ravens Nest; 19-09-2003 at 10:51 PM.

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks. I didnt want to format and I've heard various things.

So when I get my new 9800 Pro in a month or 2 I will do those things.

Thats basically what I thought....

Safe mode, detonator remover program, and then reboot with new card & drivers.

Thread Information