Thread: GPU Advice - MSI 2070 Super Ventus OC or £450 on a 5700 XT Custom Partner Card

Thanks

GPU Advice - MSI 2070 Super Ventus OC or £450 on a 5700 XT Custom Partner Card

Hi all,

First time posting, I'm in the predicament many are in. I currently have a 10% discount code so could get the MSI 2070 Super Ventus for £449.99. Additionally, I'm watching the Custom Partner cards roll in for the 5700 XT and I know I could get cheaper than £450, the PowerColor Red Dragon is catching my eye for sure.

What advice would you recommend? I'm eyeing up potentially spending similar money on each. It seems like it's a decision between a good quality 5700 XT (maybe the PowerColor or wait for Sapphire Nitro/Toxic cards) or a more entry level 2070 Super in the Ventus.

This is my first build in a while and I know Ray Tracing isn't there yet in terms of quality but just trying to get some opinions!

Cheers!

Thanks

Re: GPU Advice - MSI 2070 Super Ventus OC or £450 on a 5700 XT Custom Partner Card

If you want crashing, go with 5700XT. If you want to play games, go for 2070. I'm on a 5700XT and its an absolute car crash with drivers right now. Even with the 20.1.4 drivers, i'm crashing daily.

Thanks

Re: GPU Advice - MSI 2070 Super Ventus OC or £450 on a 5700 XT Custom Partner Card

I just replaced my Sapphire Radeon 5700XT Nitro+ with a Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2070 Super

Frames per second = was very good

Frames per day = was shockingly bad

I spent more time changing from 1 driver version to the next just to get games to work. "Work" in this sense is not to hard crash. It became a massive joke.
    Driver A for game A with audio drop outs and soft crashes to desktop. If i used driver B, hard reset required after black screen.
    Driver B for game B with all features switched off in control centre or else it hard crashed.

Just to top it off, if i had Discord or Chrome on in the background irrelevant of driver version, guaranteed hard crashes. Even after switching off hardware support in the above programmes.

I had to use DDU in between each driver reinstall. I have tried clean windows 10 pro installs multiple times (Even after a motherboard BIOS update , new X570 chipset drivers and even various GPU driver updates)

The thing that really pushed me over the edge was the last driver release 20.2.1. Anytime i tried to play videos in Youtube, i had a full black screen and nothing else.

So in summary, avoid the 5700 XT like the plague unless you love doing the above.

Just to give you a bit more context, i have pretty much owned every ATI / AMD graphics card from ATI Xpert @ Play (Really showing my age) to the 5700 XT. The 5700 XT beyond a doubt is an absolute car crash. So much so that i had to go Green.

Thread Information