Thread: Upgrade GPU

Thanks

Upgrade GPU

Hello Folks, First post here. Have been thinking of giving my system [ 3 years old now ] a upgrade to the GPU. At present it has a GTX 1080 I would like to go with a RTX card like the RTX 2060 Super. but...noticed that the existing card is only about 4 mm from the bottom of the Ram slots. Now... as the GTX 1080 is 2.5 slots and the RTX 2060 Super is 2.75 slots how would that affect the room ? If the extra height is from top down that is no problem as there is plenty of room there In other words, if the TOP of the RTX stays on the same line as my existing GTX 1080 ..no problem. The Board is an Asus Rampage V edition 10. CPU is Intel 6850k. and memory Kingston Hyper X Predator [ 64 Gb ] Also i'm not a gamer.

Cheers,
    Raymond.

Thanks

Re: Upgrade GPU

Not to be rude but why upgrade the video card at all if you are not gaming? Do you need an RTX for productivity?

Thanks

Not much difference in FPS for games. Wait for the nvidia 3000 series to come out and the market might change of prices of others.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Disco View Post
    Not much difference in FPS for games. Wait for the nvidia 3000 series to come out and the market might change of prices of others.
    Hey, I am in a similar situation. I heard that the new cards might be out in August. If you do sell the 1080 drop me a message as I have a 970GTX atm and looking for a minor update

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Disco View Post
    I agree with you. I am still on GTX 970 and now just waiting patiently to spend the big bucks something worthy.

Registered+
    Thanks

It might be quite a while before the 3000 cards are actually in stock with retailers, but if the rumoured numbers are true, they could be a very nice performance improvement on the 2000 series.

Registered+
    Thanks

Does your current graphics card have a backplate? If yes, then you will be fine upgrading as cards have bigger heatsinks and fans which extend down, so no problem with RAM layout on the motherboard.

Waiting for the next gen cards depend on how much time you can wait and your budget. Next gen cards coming this year will be ridiculoysly expensive and rare. Cards to replace mid range will be arriving next year, so hopefully by March 2021.

Thread Information