Thread: Another Dell T3600 GPU limitation

Registered+
    Thanks

Another Dell T3600 GPU limitation

I have a dell precision T3600 workstation, that I'd eventually like to put a modern GPU in. The non-standard PSU is going to limit me to around 225 W for the GPU (75W from the slot, and 2x75W 6 pin connectors (which I could probably replace or link to get 1 150W 8 pin). So looking at the Nvidia 30x0 cards, that would appear to rule out a 3080, but might allow some 3070s (some come in at a bit below 225W, others average around 225 but spike above it, which might be OK (the PSU 12V rails are 20A), and 3060 and maybe some 3060 ti should be below that.

And then I had another look at the T3600 case - it has a neat toolless catch to take the side panel off, and there's the potential problem. on the inside of the panel, there's a non-removable metal handle thing
    that has a foam pad which helps secure the GPU in place when the panel is closed. The PCB on the nvidia quadro fx3800 that's in there at the moment has a PCB that sticks up a few mm above the top folded bit of the card end plate (the short 90 degree bit that you usually screw to the case back to secure the card), and that's dug a recess in the foam pad.

Looking at several 30x0 series card pictures. they all seem to stick up above the end plate - most by a fair bit. So those are not going to fit. And quite a few (not sure if there any that don't) also have power connectors on the top edge of the card near the middle - which certainly isn't going to work if its near the pad. connectors at the end opposite the end plate would be fine, and connectors at the top that aren't in the middle might be.

So it's starting to look as though a 30x0 card will have to wait for a new build - Unless anyone knows of a version that doesn't stick up and needs 225W or less that's not connected at top middle?

Are the similar problems with older nVidia cards? I'm probably going to be looking at the used market since the shortage appears to be affecting everything but low end cards at the moment.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: Another Dell T3600 GPU limitation

The length might be an issue too. GPU TDPs and power consumption are going up each generation! If there are any free fan slots,I would try and use them. Having said that you might hit a CPU limitation if you are gaming with a higher end Ampere GPU:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLEIJhunaW8

Also another issue is to check stuff like whether the GPU will be limited by the PCI-E 2.0 slot of the SB CPU in your system - is the BIOS UEFI? Some modern GPUs have problems with that. Just some more things to check.

Ignoring all that,I would say once GPU prices have gotten a bit closer to normal,have you considered maybe an RTX3060? There are short PCB mini-ITX models which should easily fit in many systems and power draw isn't too bad:
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ge...palit-gainward

AMD will probably have the RX6700/RX6600 series out this year and they seem to offer better power characteristics.Also you can try and deshroud the GPU,to stop any of the plastic shroud parts getting in the way.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 13-03-2021 at 11:36 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Also another issue is to check stuff like whether the GPU will be limited by the PCI-E 2.0 slot of the SB CPU in your system - is the BIOS UEFI? Some modern GPUs have problems with that. Just some more things to check.
    CPU is a Xeon E5 2670, which apparently supports PCIE3.0, which is what the GPU slots are marked as on the motherboard (That's one of the nice things about the Dell MB. all the slots are marked with type and wattage available).Looking at the BIOS, apparently it can be switched to do UEFI or Legacy. Card length shouldn't be a problem - Neither the optical or HD cages are in line with the GPU slots (don't know if there was another HD cage originally, but there's only one HD cage at the end of the PSU with room for 2 x 3.5 drive trays now).

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Ignoring all that,I would say once GPU prices have gotten a bit closer to normal,have you considered maybe an RTX3060? There are short PCB mini-ITX models which should easily fit in many systems and power draw isn't too bad
    Sounds like that could be worth looking at when supplies improve At the moment, the card in my core 2 quad box is a GTX 550 ti, so shouldn't be too hard to improve on in the meanwhile; I don't want to swap the 550 ti over at the moment since that'd probably break a lot of music plugin license setups, which I don't want to move over to the T3600 until I've finished upgrading bits of it so that I only have the hassle of relicensing things once. Or twice if I eventually get a 3060 or similar

4. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (14-03-2021)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by JerryTheC View Post
    CPU is a Xeon E5 2670, which apparently supports PCIE3.0, which is what the GPU slots are marked as on the motherboard (That's one of the nice things about the Dell MB. all the slots are marked with type and wattage available).Looking at the BIOS, apparently it can be switched to do UEFI or Legacy. Card length shouldn't be a problem - Neither the optical or HD cages are in line with the GPU slots (don't know if there was another HD cage originally, but there's only one HD cage at the end of the PSU with room for 2 x 3.5 drive trays now).

Sounds like that could be worth looking at when supplies improve At the moment, the card in my core 2 quad box is a GTX 550 ti, so shouldn't be too hard to improve on in the meanwhile; I don't want to swap the 550 ti over at the moment since that'd probably break a lot of music plugin license setups, which I don't want to move over to the T3600 until I've finished upgrading bits of it so that I only have the hassle of relicensing things once. Or twice if I eventually get a 3060 or similar
    You find out something new everyday - it does seem Sandy Bridge EP supports PCI-E 3.0 unlike the consumer platform version!

Their might be other SKUs such as RTX3060 6GB or RTX3050TI too in the next few months,so any of the newer GPUs above £150 would be a big upgrade TBF! Apparently there is a bigger PSU option for your system which is 635W(0NVC7F):
    https://www.bargainhardware.co.uk/de...psu-635w-1k45h

It does seem an RTX2060 does work in the Dell T3600:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMZFkSoDaRM

6. Received thanks from:

JerryTheC (14-03-2021)

Thread Information