Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is my 3DMark2001 score a bit low?

Thanks
    • Enverex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H77n-WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K with Scythe Shuriken
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 500GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 670 2GB OC Power Edition
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 550W G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG11
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 42LW550T 42" TV
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity
    RAM timings are nothing to do with your processor. The better your RAM is the higher speed you can get out of it, with better timings. Changing that to - 2-2-2-2 should give you quite a big increase in speed if your RAM can handle it....

NS

Thanks
    2-2-2-2
    ?!! The 7 can be knocked down to 2? Anyone know a good FAQ on RAM timings and what they do? I'd like to reduce them if the performance increase is worth it. My RAM is OCZ 3200 which should be good for o/cing.

Cyber whore
    Thanks
    • bouncin's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit an8 32x
      • CPU:
      • x2 4400 @2.7
      • Memory:
      • 2gb ocz el platinum
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 74 gb raptors raid 0 1 x 250 gbcaviar
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gainward bliss 7950gx2
      • PSU:
      • ocx powerstream 600w
      • Case:
      • Eclipse
      • Operating System:
      • xp
      • Monitor(s):
      • samsung LE40A565
      • Internet:
      • 20MB virgin media
    might be worth knocking them down to 2,2,2,6 or maybe even try 2,2,2,11 but 2,2,2,2 would actually slow the memory as the it would not have enough time to read the data and would make a lot of mistakes and then keep repeating the cycle until it was done.

Thanks
    • Enverex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H77n-WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 500GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 550W G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG11
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 42LW550T 42" TV
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity
    My old machine was set to 2-2-2-7 by default, and I thought it was strange that it let me set it so low, but it did, and I benched it set to 2 and I got a huge increase in speed. Not sure if it is just good RAM or something, but it seemed to work for me...

NS

Cyber whore
    Thanks
    • bouncin's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit an8 32x
      • CPU:
      • x2 4400 @2.7
      • Memory:
      • 2gb ocz el platinum
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gainward bliss 7950gx2
      • PSU:
      • ocx powerstream 600w
      • Case:
      • Eclipse
      • Operating System:
      • xp
      • Monitor(s):
      • samsung LE40A565
      • Internet:
      • 20MB virgin media
    the ram must have been awesome cos tbh they are the lowest timings i have ever seen in a desktop pc. But if it worked for ya fairplay. btw what ram was it?

Thanks
    • Enverex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H77n-WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 500GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 550W G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG11
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 42LW550T 42" TV
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity
    Some crappy 128MB stick (now defective) that I picked up ages ago for my Athlon 500mhz System (Slot A). I was supprised it worked, especially when my score went up so much.

Bouncin - Are you in Stourbridge?

NS

Cyber whore
    Thanks
    • bouncin's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit an8 32x
      • CPU:
      • x2 4400 @2.7
      • Memory:
      • 2gb ocz el platinum
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gainward bliss 7950gx2
      • PSU:
      • ocx powerstream 600w
      • Case:
      • Eclipse
      • Operating System:
      • xp
      • Monitor(s):
      • samsung LE40A565
      • Internet:
      • 20MB virgin media
    pretty close to stourbridge about 2 miles away

Thanks
    From the SPD timings that its on, you probably have this stuff...
    http://www.ocztechnology.com/product...r+Dual+Channel

So I would probably leave it there.

You could try it at 2-3-3-7 as that would give you a nice boost.

You probably have an old version of 3dMark2k1.
    Have you downloaded the latest patch for it?
    http://www.futuremark.com/download/?...001patch.shtml

That will probably fix you up. If not check windows update for any DX9.0 patches/upgrades. Then uninstall 3dMark and download the latest version of the full install, and reinstall.

I want to see the performance boost!! (and links!)
    Last edited by chrisf6969; 26-11-2003 at 09:04 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    3Dmark2001 is very quirky. Do ensure you have the latest build (you can get a 5MBish update file). If still problematic try reinstalling it (or uninstalling then reinstalling). I'm sure that will get it to run. As for RAM timings here's my usual spin ...

The CL rating (Cas Latency) is usually quoted with the designed speed of the RAM (eg 333mhz for PC2700) but this and the numbers which (should) follow can be daunting.

RAM is effectively arranged in rows and columns (much like a spreadsheet) so then CAS is Column Address Strobe, RAS is Row Address Strobe. The RAS, CAS and the RAS-to-CAS latency are basically the time spent waiting to locate, read or write a given area of memory but if a consecutive block of memory is needed the significance of any latency is pretty minimal, so latency is of greatest importance when using memory randomly.

The problem is all that's often quoted about latency or RAM timings is the CL number, it's the most important but less than 1/5th of the story. If you line the timings all up you can state a more complete picture. You should get quoted CL2.0 as being 2-2-2-5 (but could also be 2-3-3-7) and CL2.5 as being 2.5-3-3-7. The 1st number is Cas Latency, 2nd RAS Precharge, 3rd RAS-CAS, 4th Act Precharge (IIRC). BIOS' may use diff notations but that's basically the principle and lower is always faster as it means less waiting. Other things to look out for are Command: T1 (faster) or T2 (normal) and Bank Mode: off, 2 (fast) or 4 (faster). Anything to do with Memory holes, caches (not L1 or L2), shadowing and the like should be disabled. AGP Aperture is best at 256MB but there isn't (technically) really a perf hit in going lower, it's only assigned if the system has it free and your gfx card's own RAM 'runs out'. Even though some of these settings enhance perf they can actually hold back the attainable speed (in mhz) so it's worth experimenting.

As always there are many factors, CL2.0 is NOT 25% faster in real world performance, even when you isolate the RAM in a test. When you o/c, you can raise some of these 'latency' settings in order to run at a higher mhz. So you may prefer 2-3-3-7 400mhz over the default 2-2-2-5 333mhz for example.

These figures are from back in the KT333 era. Anyway at the same clockspeed 2-2-2-5 is rougly 1.5% faster in Sandra's RAM Benchmark than 2.5-3-3-7. It does depend on what you do with the RAM as to the exact perf diff. Sysmark2000 shows a 4% improvement. Quake3 & 3Dmark2001 show 3% improvement. 2-3-3-7 gives pretty much the same perf as running 2.5-2-2-5. It seems modern perf shows bigger gains esp for SktA systems, anyway the most vital number is the first number, CL.

If adding a new DIMM to an existing DIMM rem that the limit and timings are dictated by the slower DIMM. 256MB DDR333 CL2.0 coupled with 256MB DDR266 CL2.5 will both effectively be limited to DDR266 CL2.5. Cas Latency should be selectable in the BIOS, SPD is automatic, if you don't find many settings for latency then try the latest BIOS or CTRL+F1 in the BIOS on Gigabyte mobos. If you do raise the speed of your RAM past it's rated speed or lower the timings make 100% certain you are perfectly stable as the consequences can be dire.

I'm not saying any of the above is remotely definitive by any means, just what I've gathered from notes I've made coupled with experience.

Thanks
    WAY TOO MUCH INFO!! I feel like Im in school!

One more note: timings do make a notably large difference on P4 dual channel systems with FSB running faster than the ram, b/c the FSB/CPU can soak up that extra bandwidth unlike some other systems. For example him.... he's maxed out on a shuttle at 250FSB (highest I believe BIOS lets you go) but his ram is running at 200Mhz DDR400 which should still allow for decent timings.

It has been shown like at PCstats.com's bandwidth vs. latency article. That its better to run at 5:4 than 1:1 or 3:2 at 250FSB.

Thanks
    Ah yes. Its a little clearer now So even though I my be limited by the FSB in the shuttle (which I'm pretty sure I am) I can set the timings lower to get an extra boost. Interesting that you say it really gives a good increase.

Just to clarify this is the RAM that's in my rig. You might be able to tell what I can achieve by the specs there. Either way I'll be downloading an updated 3DMark2001 tonight and will retest the system.

Then I'll overclock as much as I can (including the RAM timings) and re-test. Fingers crossed.

When this is done what should I use to test if the system is stable? I understand that booting to desktop isn't necessarily evidence that it'll run solid from then on.

Also, should I be concerned about temps when it is overclocked? The shuttle is a little furnace when it gets going. I'm planning on buying a few fans to reduce the noise but also cool it better but I'd imagine I'll have to use Speedfan to keep an eye on things.

Banned
    Thanks
    According to the specs your RAM is designed to run at 2.6v (2.5v is more normal) and 2x200=400mhz or DDR400-PC3200 with 2-2-3-5 timings. You should find if running at 333mhz the timings will tighten and you'll get perf closer to if you were running at 400mhz. As usual you want to keep RAM synced to FSB as much as is possible.

To check you're stable it's best to make a DOS boot floppy disk with memory testing sw on it. Most people use Memtest86, using a boot disk means that if your RAM is not stable it won't cause corruption inside Windows. However since Windows handles RAM differently to a DOS program you can still experience instability inside Windows. You may want to run some Windows stress testing sw like Prime95 (torture test). It can be a long and tedious process, just be 100% certain you can run at the speed and timings you choose.

Thanks
    As usual you want to keep RAM synced to FSB as much as is possible.
    Is this what I'm not doing though? I thought that by setting the RAM to 333MHz I'm acheiving 5:4 ratio, ie not syncing them
    Shuttle SB61G2 Anniversary Ed
    P4 2.6GHz
    2x256MB OCZ 3200 DDR
    TYAN Tachyon Radeon 9600 Pro
    60GB Seagate 'cuda IV 7200
    10GB IBM 5400
    other boring peripherals

Banned
    Thanks
    Not so important on P4 if you can get a good FSB o/c and still keep the RAM running fast (as in close to DDR400-PC3200 speed). The main problem with running async comes from SktA mobos where many people run the RAM faster than the FSB which can often yield lower perf, only real exception being KT333/400 using 266FSB with asynced DDR333-PC2700 which does yield a very nice 5%ish boost IIRC. Running async should definitely not be a stability issue so long as your RAM does not run out of spec either with its pure mhz (or timings).

Thanks
    the order for BIOS of the IC7 is 2-3-2-5

you're at DDR400 so you should be able to run perfectly with in spec. as 2-2-2-5 is the fastest that you can probably run keep it at DDR400 (5:4) ratio. called DDR333 option in BIOS.

and you can try 2-2-2-5, if not just put it at 2-3-2-5

Thanks
    Ok 3DMark2001 is giving me hassle. Everytime I go to run it now it tells me I need to install Directx 8.1 or higher and all the correct drivers.

I am bang up to date on all the drivers. Cat 3.9, Directx 9.0b. On the advice of some people I even downloaded the most recent version of 3DMark2001. I run it and the message about drivers just pops up.

It tells me it has stored the error in a log file which I'll paste below. It seems to think I don't have dx8.0 installed? I could dig it up on disk but what help would it be installing it over 9.0b?

I'm posting this because it might help solve a few other problems I'm having.

Morrowind seems to crash as soon as I try to leave the boat at the beginning of the game. This problem has been documented and a solution has been suggested has been given but it hasn't worked for me yet.

Call of Duty demo crashes to desktop at a random point during play. I am informed that the VPU has been reset as it wasn't responding to driver commands and could not be recovered. Sometimes I can alt-tab out and close the error and keep playing, othertimes not. This error is documented as well and I will try it but not sure if it will work for the demo.

Although it seems these errors might be able to be fixed it seems problems have been popping up very soon since I have barely got the system 2 weeks. Even my TNT2 was better than this. My old Dell could handle anything I threw at it. God I miss those days

Application info
    ----------------

Name 3DMark2001 SE
    Build 300

Error log
    ---------

DirectX8 not installed.

System info available: yes
    Project available: no

System info
    -----------

System Info Version 2.2
    Installation ID 0x00000000
    OEM ID

CPU INFO
    CENTRAL PROCESSING UNITS
    Manufacturer Intel
    Family PentiumĀ® 4
    Internal Clock 2.54 GHz
    Internal Clock Maximum 2.99 GHz
    External Clock 200 MHz
    Socket Designation Socket 478
    Type <unknown>
    Upgrade ZIF Socket
    Capabilities MMX, CMov, RDTSC, SSE, SSE2
    Version Intel Pentium(R) 4
    CPUID 0x00000f29

CACHES
    Level 1
    Capacity 20 KB
    Type Internal
    Type Details Synchronous
    Error Correction Type <unknown>
    Associativity <unknown>

Level 2
    Capacity 512 KB
    Type External
    Type Details Synchronous
    Error Correction Type <unknown>
    Associativity <unknown>

DIRECTX INFO
    DirectX Version 8.0

DIRECTDRAW INFO
    DirectDraw Version 5.3.0000000.900

DISPLAY DEVICES
    Description Primary Display Driver
    Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc.
    Name RADEON 9600 SERIES
    Total Local Video Memory 128 MB
    Total Local Texture Memory 128 MB
    Total AGP Memory 54 MB
    Display Driver ati2dvag.dll
    Display Driver Version 6.14.10.6396
    Driver WHQL Certified Yes
    Max Texture Width 2048
    Max Texture Height 2048
    Max User Clipping Planes 6
    Max Active Hardware Lights 8
    Max Texture Blending Stages 8
    Textures In Single Pass 8
    Vertex Shader Version 1.1
    Pixel Shader Version 1.4
    Max Vertex Blend Matrices 37
    Max Texture Coordinates 8
    Vendor ID 0x1002
    Device ID 0x4150
    Sub-System ID 0x000210f1
    Revision 0x00

//leaving this out

TEXTURE FORMATS
    //leaving pixel formats out.

3D Capabilities AGP Texturing, Hardware Transform and Lighting, Positional Lights, Subpixel Accurate Rasterizing, Stencil Buffers, Range Fog, Table Fog, Vertex Fog, W-Fog, Specular Gouraud Shading, Anisotropic Filtering, Bilinear Filtering, Point Sampling, Trilinear Filtering, Additive Texture Blending, Dot3 Texture Blending, Multiplicative Texture Blending, Subtractive Texture Blending, Environmental Bump Mapping, Environmental Bump Mapping With Luminance, Cube Mapping, Factor Alpha Blending, Vertex Alpha Blending, Texture Alpha Blending, Texture Clamping, Texture Mirroring, Texture Wrapping, Guard Band Support, Rendering to a Window, N Patches, Mipmap LOD Bias Adjustment, Projected Textures, Volume Textures, Point Primitive Support, Full-Screen Anti-Aliasing, DXT Compressed Textures

DIRECTSHOW INFO
    DirectShow Version 6.05.01.0900

REGISTERED DIRECTSHOW FILTERS
    ........more here
    Filter ASX v.2 file Parser
    Filter AVI Decompressor
    Filter AVI Draw
    Filter AVI Splitter
    Filter AVI/WAV File Source
    Filter BDA MPEG2 Transport Information Filter
    Filter Color Space Converter
    Filter DV Muxer
    Filter DV Splitter
    Filter DV Video Decoder
    Filter Default DirectSound Device
    Filter Default MidiOut Device
    Filter DivX Decoder Filter
    Filter DivXAntiFreeze
    Filter File Source (Async.)
    Filter File Source (Netshow URL)
    ....here....

Filter MPEG Layer-3 Decoder
    Filter MPEG Video Decoder
    Filter MPEG-2 Demultiplexer
    Filter MPEG-2 Sections and Tables
    Filter MPEG-2 Splitter
    Filter MPEG-I Stream Splitter
    Filter Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Decompressor
    Filter Microsoft Screen Video Decompressor
    Filter Morgan Stream Switcher
    Filter Multi-file Parser
    Filter NSC file Parser
    Filter Ogg Multiplexer
    Filter Ogg Splitter
    Filter Overlay Mixer2
    Filter QT Decompressor
    Filter QuickTime Movie Parser
    Filter SAMI (CC) Parser
    Filter VBI Surface Allocator
    Filter VGA 16 Color Ditherer
    Filter Video Port Manager
    Filter Video Renderer
    Filter Vorbis Decoder
    Filter WM ASF Reader
    Filter WM ASF Writer
    Filter WMP CD Filter
    Filter WST Decoder
    Filter Wave Parser
    Filter Windows Media Audio Decoder
    Filter Windows Media Multiplexer
    Filter Windows Media Pad VU Data Grabber
    Filter Windows Media Update Filter
    Filter Windows Media Video Decoder
    Filter Windows Media source filter
    Filter XML Playlist
    Filter XviD MPEG-4 Video Decoder

MEMORY INFO
    Total Physical Memory 512 MB
    Free Physical Memory 371.55 MB
    Total Pagefile Memory 1.22 GB
    Free Pagefile Memory 1.13 GB

MEMORY ARRAYS
    Max Module Capacity 2 GB
    Location System Board
    Use System
    Supported Error D&C None
    Supported Speeds <unknown>
    Supported Types <unknown>
    Supported Voltages <unknown>

MEMORY SLOTS
    Installed & Enabled Size 256 MB
    Form Factor DIMM
    Frequency 0 Hz
    Slot A0 [Bank0/1]
    Manufacturer
    Type SDRAM
    Type Details Synchronous
    Enabled Size 256 MB
    Total Bit Width 64
    Data Bit Width 64

Installed & Enabled Size 0 bytes
    Form Factor DIMM
    Frequency 0 Hz
    Slot A1 [Bank2/3]
    Manufacturer
    Type <unknown>
    Type Details <unknown>
    Enabled Size 0 bytes
    Total Bit Width 0
    Data Bit Width 0

MOTHERBOARD INFO
    Manufacturer Shuttle Inc
    Model FB61R
    Version N/A
    BIOS Vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD
    BIOS Version 6.00 PG
    BIOS Release Date 09/17/2003
    BIOS Properties Plug and Play, Flash, AGP

CARD SLOTS
    Number 1
    Designation PCI0
    Type PCI
    Characteristics 5.0V, PME Signal
    Data Bus Width 32
    Details Available, Long
    Device Class <unknown>
    Device Name
    Device Manufacturer
    Device Driver Date
    Device Vendor ID 0x0000
    Device ID 0x0000
    Device Sub-System ID 0x00000000
    Device Revision 0x00
    IRQ 0

Number 2
    Designation PCI1
    Type PCI
    Data Bus Width 32
    Details In Use, Long
    Device Class Network Adapter
    Device Name Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
    Device Manufacturer Realtek
    Device Driver Date
    Device Vendor ID 0x10ec
    Device ID 0x8139
    Device Sub-System ID 0x813910ec
    Device Revision 0x10
    IRQ 18

Number 3
    Designation PCI2
    Type PCI
    Data Bus Width 32
    Details In Use, Long
    Device Class 1394 BUS Controller
    Device Name VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    Device Manufacturer VIA
    Device Driver Date
    Device Vendor ID 0x1106
    Device ID 0x3044
    Device Sub-System ID 0x30441106
    Device Revision 0x80
    IRQ 20

Number 4
    Designation PCI3
    Type PCI
    Data Bus Width 32
    Details Available, Long
    Device Class <unknown>
    Device Name
    Device Manufacturer
    Device Driver Date
    Device Vendor ID 0x0000
    Device ID 0x0000
    Device Sub-System ID 0x00000000
    Device Revision 0x00
    IRQ 0

Number 0
    Designation AGP
    Type AGP
    Characteristics 5.0V
    Data Bus Width 32
    Details In Use, Long
    Device Class Display Adapter
    Device Name RADEON 9600 SERIES
    Device Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc.
    Device Driver Date
    Device Vendor ID 0x1002
    Device ID 0x4150
    Device Sub-System ID 0x000210f1
    Device Revision 0x00
    IRQ 16

SYSTEM DEVICES
    Description Intel(R) 82801EB PCI Bridge - 244E
    Manufacturer Intel
    Vendor ID 0x8086
    Device ID 0x244e
    Subsystem ID 0x00000000