Thread: Laptop Screen to Desktop Screen?

Xcelsion... In Disguise. Xaneden's Avatar
    Thanks

Laptop Screen to Desktop Screen?

Hey Guys,
    I have a very nice 15.4" WUXGA 1920x1200 laptop screen, connected to a laptop which isn't working. I really like the extra space on-screen, and am frankly shocked by the outrageous prices of desktop screens of comparable resolution (albeit with bigger size).

I'm therefore looking to salvage this screen and connect it to my desktop. It is from a Dell laptop, and I believe it must use the industry standard connector (PanelLink perhaps? ), as the screen is by Sharp or Toshiba (not sure which).

Question is, does anybody know how to convert the signal from my graphics card (which supports DVI/S-Video/VGA) to work with a laptop screen?

That is the cable which connects the monitor to the graphics card of the Inspiron laptop series my one is part of. Could someone identify which connection it is?

Thanks for any help,
    Xaneden.
    Last edited by Xaneden; 08-07-2006 at 10:58 AM.
    New Sig on the Way...

Xcelsion... In Disguise. Xaneden's Avatar
    Thanks
    Bump?
    New Sig on the Way...

Thanks
    Firstly, you'll need to find out exactly what panel you're using. There should be a sticker somewhere on the back of the actual unit when removed from the casing. Once you know that you can track down the datasheet, which will be essential.

The pinouts for DVI are easy and can be found here. But you want to know what's happening on the other end. You'll obviously need to arrange for a power input (should be easy to get a small switching PS for it from RS), and again you'll need to know what pin needs which voltage. It looks like the cable you have splits off a flying lead, that's probably the power input.

Thread Information