Thread: Using ADSL Routers with Cable possible?

Thanks

Using ADSL Routers with Cable possible?

Problem with internet.....or just me
    I can connect to Virgin Boradband (Cable) through my BT Voyager ADSL wireless router (had from pervious flat) and things work fine for a while. After an ammount of time that changes each time, the web browser can no longer display the web page. The only way around this that I have found is to reboot my wireless router by pushing the reset button and then reconnect. A real pain. The confussing thing is that if I am on MSN messenger and having a conversation I can continue even when the web browser is telling me that it can not open the page suggesting that I am still conected, very confussed please help. I have read quite a few messages along the same lines and the generaly view is for me not to be so tight and go buy a wireless router for cable rather than messing around with ADSL one that I have.

Thanks

Re: Using ADSL Routers with Cable possible?

If, as I assume, Virgin has supplied you with an Ethernet modem, rather than USB, then just add this Buffalo wireless router. Costs a bit under £30

Works just fine here and I have installed at least two more on other people's Virgin cable systems and those are also working fine - and installation is EASY.

Thanks

Thanks Bob, will look into getting a different wireless router

Thanks

The WAN port (Internet side) of the BT router will be bonded to the RJ-11 port that would plug into your phone line.

I suspect all you're doing it plugging both modem and PC into the LAN switch of the router, meaning it's not actually doing any routing - your PC is communicating directly with the modem.

You can use "cable" routers with ADSL, because you can buy ADSL->ethernet modems. You can't use ADSL modems on cable, because they don't have an ethernet port on the WAN side, unless they're a srubbishrubbishrubbishrubbishy one where you can specify the WAN port... haven't seen a cheap router that has ever done this, however - they're just not wired up for that.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks

That’s great Steve. I have just been plugging the ADSL router (BT Voyager 2010, I think would have to have another look) into the cable modem using the Ethernet cable then trying to get through to the internet wirelessly from the laptop. On occasions this works but it drops the connection. I will order a DSL router from dabs.com and quit messing about. Ta for the help

Thread Information