Thread: Dead disk

Registered+
    Thanks

Dead disk

Hello,

My Hard drive suddenly died outside warranty. Is there an easy way to recover my files.

Thanks

Splash

Re: Dead disk

Died in what way? Will it power up? Is it detected in the BIOS?

Registered+
    Thanks

If its dead.. and really Dead! you probably can't recover the data unless you send off your hd to a professional data recovery company.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    Died in what way? Will it power up? Is it detected in the BIOS?

it is making a clicking noise and not detected in the BIOS

Thanks

Splash

In that case you may well be screwed. You could try the freezer trick, or dependent on how important your data is (and if it's that important... use this as a lesson in the importance of good backups) you may want to look into shelling out to a data recovery company to see what they can get off it. If you're getting a clicking noise it may well be a head crash though, so bear in mind that if this is the case you risk damaging the media, which will make any form of data recovery pretty much impossible.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iceze View Post
    If its dead.. and really Dead! you probably can't recover the data unless you send off your hd to a professional data recovery company.

That's why I was wondering what they do to recover data. Thanks anyway

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    You could try the freezer trick, or dependent on how important your data is.
    Freezer trick? Does that mean sticking it in a freezer?

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes - wrap it in an antistatic bag - then enclose it in a ziplock pllythene bag - exclude as much air as possible and if you have any silica gell sachets, put a couple of those in, and put it in the freezer for 24 hours.

When you take it out, have the machine set up with the secondatry copy disk, cross your fingers and power up. Sometimes cooling the drive can thicken the lubricant in the bearings and you have a short window to recover data. Never done it myself - others say they have.

One other thing to check is that the dissk is getting correct power - particularly if it is an external drive powered from a USB port - clicking can be the sound of the heads attempting to load, but failing because the current drawn pulls the vlotage rails down

Data recovery companies use various tools and LOTS of patience to recover the data - in worst cases they can dismantle the drives in a clean room and read the data off the platters that way. Because of the time and expertise, expect to pat £350 upwards - upwards if the disc has suffered electical or mechanical failure rather than 'just' corruption. Mnay off a no fix - no fee service where they will take a quick look to assess the chances of recovery.

www.fields-data-recovery.co.uk/

Is one I contacted once (but in the end, I didn't need to use) They seemed OK.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Yes - wrap it in an antistatic bag - then enclose it in a ziplock pllythene bag - exclude as much air as possible and if you have any silica gell sachets, put a couple of those in, and put it in the freezer for 24 hours.

When you take it out, have the machine set up with the secondatry copy disk, cross your fingers and power up. Sometimes cooling the drive can thicken the lubricant in the bearings and you have a short window to recover data. Never done it myself - others say they have.

One other thing to check is that the dissk is getting correct power - particularly if it is an external drive powered from a USB port - clicking can be the sound of the heads attempting to load, but failing because the current drawn pulls the vlotage rails down

Data recovery companies use various tools and LOTS of patience to recover the data - in worst cases they can dismantle the drives in a clean room and read the data off the platters that way. Because of the time and expertise, expect to pat £350 upwards - upwards if the disc has suffered electical or mechanical failure rather than 'just' corruption. Mnay off a no fix - no fee service where they will take a quick look to assess the chances of recovery.

www.fields-data-recovery.co.uk/

Is one I contacted once (but in the end, I didn't need to use) They seemed OK.

I will give it a try as I have nothing to lose!! Thanks a lot

Thread Information