• Corsair Carbide 100R Silent Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2515H
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 38Mb/2Mb

Issues setting fan speeds

EDIT: finally figured it out, nVidia control panel decided to create its own parameters for fan speed, no prizes for guessing what % it set it too...

So I'm now back to air cooling and I've been spending the morning trying to link my CPU and GPU temperatures to their respective fan speeds.

For the GPU, I'm using MSI afterburner. I've set up a nice fan speed curve which worked absolutely fine at first. At idle, I've got it set to 40% fan speed and then the speed increments up when the temperature passes 55*C. It's idle temperature is in the low 30's*C, so well within the 40% fan speed limit I've set. Upon restarting my PC to check it works and runs on start up, it now insists on staying at 48% fan speed EDIT: *Now 51%...", which, according to the curve I set up shouldn't kick in until about 64*C. When I press the reset button in the afterburner program, the fan speed dips to the desired 40% for a second or two before going back up to 48%. I'm at a loss at the moment as to why it's doing that!

EDIT:*I found out that I needed to tick the "automatically variate speed box". All is well with my CPU fan now* As for my CPU, I've been trying to configure it so that it does a comparable thing to the GPU (i.e. as it passes a certain temperature, fan speed will increase to bring it back to the desired temperature.) I've yet to get it to actually kick in automatically at start up, currently the CPU fan defaults to 100% and I have to manually go into speedfan and notch down the speeds. If anyone knows of another similar program that I could try, I would be grateful.

Hopefully some of you will have experience with what I'm trying to do and will be able to offer a few pointers!

Thanks,
    Michael
    Last edited by Englander; 28-08-2010 at 06:46 PM.

Thread Information