Thread: HP and their Warrantys

Thanks

HP and their Warrantys

Has anyone had expereince with them? i've got a laptop the DV6 which ran out of its years warranty in june either way the DVD drive has failed on it, which oddly enough doesnt get used, so abit ticked of about that!

You can see just by looking at the drive it has not been used much (was used to install games thats it and that was last year! its had about 2 games installed this year) it really does look new, but saying that i've really looked after this laptop so the whole thing is in good condition,

Do you think that HP would accept this as a fault and send a replacement out?

Thanks

Re: HP and their Warrantys

you could try but I wouldn't hold out much hope unless you really make a pest of yourself.

Guy
    HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

I highly doubt it, the warranty expired 4 months ago, depends on who recieves the email/support ticket, and what sort of mood they are in.

Thanks

Well, i just phoned them and wow...suddenly my view of HP has gotten alot worse! if i wanted to speak to an advisor, i would have to pay £15.99! not a hope, a very strong email will be heading there way, going to have to look into some kind of sales of goods act (you know that one that states an item should work for 6 years being electrical and if it fails blar blar blar) lets hope i get somewhere!

Thanks

Although the warranty has expired you can still purchase "post-warranty" extensions for not much money(not sure what sorta laptops, but there will be a care pack for it).

Not surprised by HP's attitude of £15 to speak to someone. Your machine is out of warranty and has no service contract on it. They are protecting their tech staff for the paying in-warranty customers.....

Microsoft have the same sort of thing except it's £199+VAT per incident! As do all other big enterprises - they've gotta make their money somehow!

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by razer121 View Post
    ... a very strong email will be heading there way, going to have to look into some kind of sales of goods act (you know that one that states an item should work for 6 years being electrical and if it fails blar blar blar) lets hope i get somewhere!
    It doesn't state that, though.

It says (among a lot of other things, but this is the relevant bit) that goods must conform to contract at time if sale, and that means they must be of satisfactory quality and fit for the purpose. The 6 years comes in because that's the time limit you have for taking action, but it's very different from saying electrical goods should last 6 years.

I would think there is a decent chance that 16 months would be well within the "reasonable" time you should expect electrical goods to last, and therefore that you may have a claim but .... the SoGA will only protect you if the fault found was "inherent" at the time of sale. In other words, if the fasilure is due to anything you've done since, such as user damage, usage not complying with instructions, etc, then you wouldn't be covered.

But the sting in all this is that while for the first 6 months the presumption is that a failure is inherent unless the seller (not manufacturer, unless they're the same) can prove it is not, after 6 months, the burden switches. Therefore it is now for you to prove (on balance of probability) that the drive failed because of as fault that was inherent at time of sale. And that probably means commissioning and paying for an independent report. You should get that cost back if yoy win the case, but if you don't, you'll be down by the court fees, the cost of the report, and expenses expenses incurred. Which begs the question, for the cost of buying a replacement drive, is it worth the risk of those costs, and the time and hassle of doing it? Only you can decide that.

7. Received thanks from:

razer121 (23-10-2010)

Thanks

Well at £20 for an new drive no,

If i showed you the laptop it looks new still, there is faint haze's on it but that is about it. thing cost alot of money so has been more looked after than my pc lol

Thanks
    • DrATty's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P5n32-e SLI 680i
      • CPU:
      • E6700 Quad Core Extreme 2.66GHz (Would go faster!)
      • Memory:
      • 2Gb OCZ 7200 (Dual Channel@900MHz at last !!!)
      • Storage:
      • 1Gb RAID for OS & Programs; 5Tb storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 8800 GTX 768Mb
      • PSU:
      • 1000W OCZ
      • Case:
      • Mystique
      • Operating System:
      • XP & 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 19" CRT (4:3) - 1600x1200
      • Internet:
      • 2Mb/s Broadband (Direct to PC; distibuted over wireless LAN)

You could try e-mail or live support. I have had some success there out of warranty.
    HP are dreadful in my opinion. I cancelled a contract with them. They seemed not to care despite there being a lot of money involved. My current employer has a room full of failed printers. They are a massive company and don't seem too bothered.
    ... I use now a big vent for the whole machine now, but I cant use it forever, it is my grandma's ventilator...

Thanks

I've dealt with HP a few times over the last year. One word: Avoid.

Shocking customer service. Absolute disgrace for such a large company.
    I'm fed up of friends and family bringing me their HP laptops to be fixed. It's either battery issues or dead screens - both of which are all over the web. HP know about them to, but are useless at getting them resolved.

In todays market, there is no reason at all to go HP when there are so many better alternatives out there.
    This wasn't a rant aimed at you razer, I just want to warn others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks

er...my BRAND NEW lcd is made by HP lol

if i could find an email address i certainly would send them an email

Thanks
    • DrATty's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P5n32-e SLI 680i
      • CPU:
      • E6700 Quad Core Extreme 2.66GHz (Would go faster!)
      • Memory:
      • 2Gb OCZ 7200 (Dual Channel@900MHz at last !!!)
      • Storage:
      • 1Gb RAID for OS & Programs; 5Tb storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 8800 GTX 768Mb
      • PSU:
      • 1000W OCZ
      • Case:
      • Mystique
      • Operating System:
      • XP & 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 19" CRT (4:3) - 1600x1200
      • Internet:
      • 2Mb/s Broadband (Direct to PC; distibuted over wireless LAN)

I have this phone number for UK support; 0870 842 2339. I've had some success with HP's online support too. The live chat feature is what you need to find. I don't have the e-mail address I used to hand but I'll look in my archive this evening and PM it to you if and when I find it. I only got this after a technician replied to a query I had.
    Once I've managed to talk to someone I have had some help but can't say it was particularly good.
    ... I use now a big vent for the whole machine now, but I cant use it forever, it is my grandma's ventilator...

13. Received thanks from:

razer121 (25-10-2010)

Thread Information