Thread: RAM upgrade Problem

Thanks

RAM upgrade Problem

Hi, I've bought 2x2GB ddr2 pc2-6400 for my Samsung Syncmaster 400dxn-2 40" monitor with built in computer.

I am running Windows 7 on it, it originally came with XP embedded and a 40GB hd & 1GB RAM. Crucial scanner says it has 4 RAM slots. I soon found that to be untrue, it only has 2 slots, I put 2x1GB RAm in them and it's been working fine, I just bought the 2x2GB ddr2 pc2-6400 to upgrade to 4GB.

This is when my problem started, I swapped out the old RAM and restarted, but the computer would not boot, not even to bios stage. I took them out and tried both the old ones - same problem.

So I figured the RAM must not be in tight enough, so I tried again and got it working fine with 2x1GB

So I tried 1 2GB stick on it's own, booted no problem, RAM recognised fine. Tried the other 2GB on it's own, working fine.
    Then I tried the 2GB+1GB and got it working fine 3GB recognised.

But every time I try 2x2GB it wont boot at all.

Any ideas? I think the second slot is the problem, can they be broken easily, there is no sign of damage and I did get the 2GB and 1GB stick working. Very frustrating indeed.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: RAM upgrade Problem

Firstly, problems like these happen all the time. I have to often take out my ram and keep switching sides, booting one at a time. Make sure that the Mhz of the ram matches your motherboards requirement.

And once you do a ram upgrade, it's preferred to do a fresh windows install. Reset the bios, to default (if you don't have any specific settings and can set it back later) and then try giving it a try. It's actually not recognizing the ram in dual channel mode.

Try to mix and match the slots, but Stick A from slot A, into slot B and vice versa. This is a real common issue i face while upgrading old systems.

Thanks

Thanks for the tips will give it a try.

Thanks

Great, got it working at last, I reset the BIOS and it still wouldn't work, so I basically wiggled it a bit in the slot and it finally worked.

Then it went into windows error recovery, but after that it was fine. 4GB working perfectly in my 40" monitor. Appreciate you taking the time.

Thread Information