Thanks

Having an Upgrading Dilemma

Computer Spec
    CPU: Core i5 2400
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
    RAM: 8GB Corsair Ram 1333MHz
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-PH67-DS3-B3
    HDD: OCZ 128GB Vertex 4 SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda

Hey anyone know what I should upgrade first on my PC what I'm thinking of doing is taking parts from this build and sticking it in an other case using the GPU HDD's and maybe ram to make an i7 PC i just wanted someone else's advice on if I should go ahead and upgrade to the i7 first or go for something like a new GPU since the CPU seems to work with most games I play.

Thanks For Any Help You Give

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

Re: Having an Upgrading Dilemma

Well for any meaningful i7 upgrade you'd have to upgrade the mobo too since H67 doesn't allow CPU overclocking and the only desktop i7 which makes sense is the i7-3770K and it's a shame to buy a K and not overclock it at least a bit.

But ATM there are hardly any games which need 4 cores / 8 threads. (Aside from Crysis 3 which needs as many cores as possible and runs slightly better on AMD FX CPUs than on Intel S1155 CPUs.)

So I'd say if you're itching to upgrade something, an HD7950 or similar would make more sense. For the CPU upgrade you might as well wait for Haswell (May/June).

Registered+
    Thanks

Well I've checked out some website and I've seen that if was want to play Crysis 3 on High might need to get a new gpu such as the 7950 but also was checking for the 6870 in crossfire and there really isn't much of a difference like a 2% difference. but not to sure yet need to thing about what to buy as well trying to save money on this upgrade.

Registered+
    Thanks

If you're trying to save money, why not just leave it as is for now? You say it runs your games, no?

If you are going to spend some money - go for a better GPU. Changing the CPU and keeping the same GPU would make little to no difference in games.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by kompukare View Post
    Well for any meaningful i7 upgrade you'd have to upgrade the mobo too since H67 doesn't allow CPU overclocking and the only desktop i7 which makes sense is the i7-3770K and it's a shame to buy a K and not overclock it at least a bit.
    The K version is £265 (retail) and the non K version is £230. So you are suggesting it makes more sense that he should spend more on a CPU and replace his motherboard just to overclock a CPU he doesn't need or what to overclock?

According to the CPU support list for your motherboard, the new i7 chips are supported as of version F5 of the bios
    http://www.gigabyte.com/support-down....aspx?pid=3884

Quote Originally Posted by kompukare View Post
    But ATM there are hardly any games which need 4 cores / 8 threads. (Aside from Crysis 3 which needs as many cores as possible and runs slightly better on AMD FX CPUs than on Intel S1155 CPUs.)

So I'd say if you're itching to upgrade something, an HD7950 or similar would make more sense. For the CPU upgrade you might as well wait for Haswell (May/June).
    This part i agree with, there wouldn't be much benefit in going for more than what you have in the CPU department. You would get better gains with a more powerful GPU although even then, for the moment, what you have is ok. If you are building another PC for another purpose i would look at is as a seperate project rather then an opportunity to change yours.

Thread Information