Thread: Something Blew Up

Thanks

Something Blew Up

Something blew up in my PC but I don't know what.

I was watching TV and had the PC downloading Windows updates on the other TV input when I heard a bang, I saw the PC turn off and then restart itself.

I've checked my graphics card and motherboard and they all seem to be working as does the PSU. I'm using a different PSU now just in case but what could it have been that blew up?

Thanks
    • stevie lee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair 3600 MHZ Cas 18
      • Storage:
      • 250GB BX500, M500 240GB, SN750 1TB NVME, mechs - Hitachi 1TB. WDblue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • sapphire 7700 1gb
      • PSU:
      • corsair RM550X
      • Case:
      • Xigmatech Midgard
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 42" Panasonix viera (1080p limited RGB)
      • Internet:
      • plusnet fibre

Re: Something Blew Up

have a sniff around and see what smells, you'll know which bit its coming from because there's a very distinct smell that burnt components have.

assuming its the PSU at fault.
    there's a fuse inside the PSU.(at least there is on my enermax) but you cant get to it without breaking the 'do not remove - warranty' stickers.

if you do go in the PSU to have a look, don't touch any components, they're capacitors and could shock you/blow up if you touch them.

if you see any white powdery stuff, then its a capacitor blown up.
    look for burnt things like the following picture.
    they could be hidden underneath stuff so not obvious.

that's my mates enermax pro82+ which went BANG!! a few weeks ago. it took out a hard drive, case fan and obviously itself.
    theres supposed to be a component underneath that copper coiley thing, where the black burnt stuff is.
    the part where the fuse is/was has a nice burnt hole aswell, the fuse blew up very nicely.

so basically:
    check each component - graphics, ram, mobo, by sniffing it and checking for scorch marks. check behind the motherboard incase somethings fallen behind it or come loose.
    check the cables as well - the sata, power connectors into hard drives/optical, something could've shorted when it turned on.
    and don't forget to check the case wiring, the on/off, reset, front panel/usb.

while you are at that lot, you can give it a clean and dust at the same time

that should help narrow down what component was at fault. its what i've just done with my mates computer.

I'm sure someone else will say what's unnecessary to do in that list, but I would check everything just to be on the safe side, seen as you are not sure what went bang in the first place.

Thanks

I've checked everything, nothing I can see wrong anywhere. I don't know how anything could have shorted though.

Although there is a video of my exact PSU on YT blowing up for somebody else who got it new too.

Thanks

Also check your cpu temps, sometimes the heatsink gets too heavy and brackets break.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Is it possible that something else in the house went bang and the resulting drop on power (momentary though it might have been) caused the PC to restart?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

My CPU is averaging 28 degrees idle. I'm using a Socket 2011 motherboard which has the in built backplate so I don't think my CPU cooler is heavy enough to bend it.

I heard the noise come specifically from the PC as its less than a metre away, if something else in the house blew up, the circuit breaker usually kicks in. The power supply was new, changed to a cheaper PSU now.

Thread Information