Thread: Networking problems with home group as well as streaming to TV.

Thanks

Networking problems with home group as well as streaming to TV.

This all started as I was trying to stream some vids to my smart TV and found that I could do it from two of the three computers in the house but not the one I wanted to actually use. This lead to me messing with Homegroup in windows 7 as well which I also couldn't get to work properly with the same computer.

I think whatever is wrong with the computer, stops the detection of the TV or stops the TV from detecting the computer. I think that its also probably what stops homegroup from working as well.

All PCs are connected through WiFi and the TV via Ethernet. The computers are a Core2 desktop, an Asus EEE netbook and a lenovo Q180 (atom nettop). The Q180 is the problem.

First I will describe the problems with streaming to the TV.

The working computers can see the TV (Sony bravia 32cx523) and in windows media player I can click on a file and play to the TV, the TV is also shown in windows explorer in the network folder and in Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Media streaming options. On the TV when i run server diagnostics both the working computers appear as server.

The Q180 does not show in the TV server diags and the TV is not shown in windows explorer network or the streaming options.

Now with regard to homegroup,

If I create a group using the Q180 the other two will never see it. However I can join a group created on the others. When using windows media player on the Q180 (when in the home group) I can access both the other two computers however the other two computers they cannot see the Q180 though they see each other. Back in Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Media streaming options, the two okay computers can see each other and the TV when show devices on: local network but to see the Q180 i need to switch to all networks for it to appear. On the Q180 the other two are only visible on the all network option. However I did manage to get the netbook to show on the local network option at one point but why I am not entirely sure Homegroup seems flakey even on the working computers. This allowed the Q180 to be able to play to the netbook in win media player. The other computers never show anything but the TV.

On the Q180 in win explorer > network i can see all computers.
    On the other two computers I cant see the Q180 in win explorer but I can see themselves and each other, under media devices I can see both computers again and also the TV. Interestingly they have a third section called network infrastructure which shows the virgin router (this is not show on the Q180)

Also when I first added the third computer (the desktop) to the group the Q180 did appear in windows explorer network but now it has gone after a refresh. Leaving the group and coming back doesnt fix anything.

Another thing to point out is that in `see full map` in network and sharing centre I can see all three computers in the network map of the homegroup on all three computers although on the others (not the Q180) I can all see listed the TV.

I appreciate without photos its a lot harder to understand.

Things I have tried.

Using the troubleshoot option on all computers.
    making sure IP v6 is enabled
    Making sure several services are running which I found from googling.
    I tried using the Ethernet port instead of wireless on the Q180
    Made sure all computers have different names
    Changing the home network name so that they are the same and also different
    Making sure the time on the computers is synced.
    Checked uPnP is enabled on the router.
    turned off firewalls.
    Updated the wireless driver

Anyone have any idea what could be wrong with the Q180 and why it is not either responding to or letting know that its there. How to fix it would be even better.

Thanks
    • Dareos's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77 - UD3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Geforce 670 OC Windforce x 2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1050 Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" DGM and 40" Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • 152 Mb Virgin

Re: Networking problems with home group as well as streaming to TV.

are you using IPV6?

check mac filtering on the router, make sure nothing is blocked, also make sure that all computers are on the same subnet and ip range

and i know you already have, but make sure network discovery is turned on in all machines
    We're only here for the Banter - The Luvvies - Chewin' The Fat

Violence and Lubrication is the solution to fixing everything, if it still doesn't work, you need more lubrication.

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    How do you change the height of them?

I've just had a quick fiddle with the knob at the front :\

Thanks

IPv6 is enabled for all and I even did a registry mod adding disabledcomponent = 0 to make sure its on. I believe the pre superhub netgear router supports it although I haven't actually check that, though perhaps i should for completeness. I assumed the fact that two of them have no problem with it all that it is supported.

I havent set any manual MAC filtering Ip filtering port forwarding etc at all and network discovery is on.

I have also remembered now that the network is a home network and not set to public or work so that is okay.

IPv4 subnets are the same. The IPv6 settings only show an IP as far as I know
    netbook is fe80::c564:e798:c456:7512%10
    Q180 is fe80::bc04:9a8d:7ec1:566c%10

I dont know anything really about IPv6 so I cant tell if there is anything significant between them.

Another thing that might be worth mentioning is that F-secure and Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client were installed on the Q180 to connect to my wifes work network though they are both disabled. Other than those I cannot think of any network related things that have been done.
    Last edited by Kumagoro; 28-09-2013 at 10:20 PM.

Thanks

Now it's back to work anyone have any ideas?

Thread Information