Thread: USB front panel connector melted

Thanks

Question USB front panel connector melted

Hi,

Does anyone know why my USB front panel connector has melted where it joins the motherboard? The computer was working normally until a few days ago when suddenly this burning smell happened and it wouldn't start up the next day.

Initially I wasn't sure where the smell was coming from and suspected the PSU or CPU. However then I noticed black residue marks on the PCI-express slots leading to the black USB front panel connector. It had melted so badly it had melded together with the pins. I couldn't pull it out and eventually yanked the whole thing out, pins and all.

I'm wondering what the root cause of this could be. I was memory testing 2 servers in the same room which were pulling a fair amount of power, but that could be just coincidence. Is it the PSU? Or just a fault or short with the connector? I've been using this case for about a year and its been fine, the mobo is 7 years old or so but again its never had a problem and it was just under normal load when the problem occurred. Other than the damage caused by the overheating everything seems normal.

Thanks
    Last edited by peterb; 03-02-2014 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Update title (OP request)

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: USB front panel connector melted

A faulty connector, a faulty USB lead, or a fault in the connected equipment. The plug might have shorted the USB connector.

Is the cable mechanically damaged anywhere, or could the plug have been badly inserted in the socket?
    Last edited by peterb; 03-02-2014 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Update title
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

As above was my thinking plus thinking if you had to much power being drawn from the USB socket was my initial thought.

I don't think there would be one way to find out for sure, unless I suppose you had another set of components that were the same that you wanted to test with.

Thanks

It sometimes happens, when the black plastic piece within the connector breaks and the pins that carry the positive and negative of the 5V touch one another.

Thanks

Just an update on this, it turns out a usb device had been inserted the wrong way and as a result the +ve and -ve sides on that usb port were touching, thus creating a short which burned out the motherboard connector.

Thread Information