Thread: Graphics card problem

Thanks

Graphics card problem

Hi! My problem is that I bought a custom build PC from Scan.co.uk and when I've put it all together, installed the OS and all the drivers. I wanted to start gaming and when I've started the game a weird noise came from the speakers like buzzing and squeak. So I'd like to know what may cause it? Is the graphics card faulty or is it the drivers? Another question is if I'd like to exchange the card would it be possible without any extra charge (I know I've to pay for the delivery) I've ordered the PC on last Wednesday evening so it's not even 7 days yet. It's definetely something with the card or the drivers because I've tried this game on the integrated GPU and it worked fine no weird sounds at all.

PS. The card is MSI Radeon R9 270 gaming
    PS2. I'd like to change this card to Nvidia GTX 760 if that was possible but I bought the PC of finance if it matters. I would pay the extra cost of the new card.

SUMMONER

Re: Graphics card problem

Actually I would bet on it being the PSU that causes the noise (due to the high power drain while playing games).

If possible, borrow a PSU/mid range video card from another computer for testing.

If you return a product to Scan for exchange/refund, and they can not find a fault with it, you will likely be charged for collection/re-delivery and testing. So make sure that you are certain of the what component is faulty, before sending anything back.

As for upgrading to a different card when buying on finance, only Scan can answer that. Give them a call on 01204474747
    Most likely they will have to cancel the entire purchase and put it through again.
    Last edited by SUMMONER; 03-03-2014 at 11:02 AM.

Thanks

I will try it on the card from different PC which is GTS 450 and let you know here. Since I've read many reviews about the exchange/refund from scan.co.uk and a lot of people say that Scan.co.uk often says that the product is actually alright and fully working. Do you think it would be wise to record this problem on camera in case they say the same to me? I would record how the PC behaves with different GPU's.

SUMMONER

If you can't confirm what is causing the problem, it may be best to send both PSU and video card back and let them figure out which one is causing the fault.

Which ever you decide to do, talk to them about it first.

Did you buy random parts or a non-assembled bundle?
    Last edited by SUMMONER; 03-03-2014 at 11:04 AM.

Thanks

I've bought custom build PC and I had to assemble it myself. I will tell you what I got there.
    Processor: Intel Core i5-4440
    Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 Intel B85
    Memory: Corsair Memory Vengeance 4GB DDR3
    HDD: Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB
    PSU: ThermalTake SPS-530MPCBEU Smart Series 530W
    GPU: MSI Radeon R9 270 Gaming 2G

Thanks

I've tried the second GPU right now and it makes the same sound aswell but it's much more quiter and although this card is much less powerful than the R9 270 it gave me twice as much FPS. So probably there is something to do with the drivers and I don't know how to solve it as the Radeon drivers are so complicated. Can you give me some advice on them? I've installed them from the CD that came with the GPU and they've automaticlly updated.

SUMMONER

Forget the ATI card for the moment

- Install a fresh Windows, while your Geforce GTS 450 is installed.
    - install chipset, audio and video drivers
    - install/play a game

if the fault persists I would call Scan to arrange a return of the PSU, and if Scan agrees to test it for free, also for the motherboard (just to be on the safe side).

Thanks

I have another PSU if you think that maybe the PSU fault. Should I try changing the PSU and see if the problem persists? I don't want to waste my time installing windows again

SUMMONER

Yes, try the spare PSU and spare video card together. If fault goes away, remove the Geforce drivers and put the ATI card back in.

psi
    Registered+
    Thanks

Do you have a pci clock spread spectrum option in your BIOS?

Thread Information