Thread: Topology Issue?

Thanks

Topology Issue?

Right, bizarre issue.

I have four Win7 machines. Two have been up and running fine for a while the other two are new.

I've been adding the two new ones to the network and made some changes to the adapter settings of the new machines.

Somehow I have ended up with a functioning network except that none of the machines can be browsed - they don't show up in 'Network'. I can ping them, the machines share folders, I can access them if I manually enter \\EXAMPLEPC or whatever. They just don't appear in the 'Network' window.

Link-Layer topology is all enabled as far as I can tell.
    I've also gone back and tried re-setting all the adapter settings on one PC to see if I can get it to show up again but with no luck. I've even uninstalled the adapter in Device Manager and then let it re-install.

Only one of the PC retains visibility of the network in terms of browsing.

Anyone have any thoughts?
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks

Re: Topology Issue?

Update - It's a Master Browser issue. Found an article to help identify which machine was the master browser and when I restarted it (the one which didn't lose visibility) the other three re-gained visibility.

Article here.

I think I'm going to have to figure out how to designate one PC as always being the master browser.

Still don't understand why any of them lost visibility though. If the previous MB was shutdown my understanding is that one of the remaining three machines should have taken over.

???
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thread Information