Thread: Win 10 Laptop boot issues - possibly due to update? Anyone else?

Thanks

Win 10 Laptop boot issues - possibly due to update? Anyone else?

So I have a laptop running Windows 10 and it's been great for a good while, I had no issues with the Win10 installation and everything's been great, until recently. Now it might be a coincidence but there was a big Windows 10 update last week and I'm wondering if it's caused problems. Wondering if anyone else has been seeing the same issues?

My machine was booting very quickly since the Win10 upgrade. It's a 4th gen i5 with just 4GB of RAM on an HDD, but it's been great. Now, though, boot times are drastically reduced.
    Also, the last few days, when I power on the laptop after a shutdown it's failing to boot the first time I try it. Instead, it just shuts down/goes black during boot. I then hit the power button again and it boots as normal, albeit slowly.

Could be a HDD issue but with the update having happened recently I wondered if anyone else has had any issues?

Getting a bit cheesed off with performance degradation on PC's, phones, etc. after updates. Seems like upgrade entropy.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    • excalibur2's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z77-d3h
      • CPU:
      • Intel 2500k @4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2X4gb Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • WD 2tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 750
      • Case:
      • Haf-x tower
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell u2410
      • Internet:
      • broadband with Plusnet

Re: Win 10 Laptop boot issues - possibly due to update? Anyone else?

Now and again it's worth running "Chkdsk" and\or "sfc /scannow" to check the hard drive also free malwarebytes just in case any nasties on your computer that could slow it down.
    I've only had a few problems with win 10 on 3 hard drives but have zero problems with one computer running win 10 insider but maybe it's because I have very few programs running on it.
    2nd computer gigabyte P965ds3p, 7770 E2140@2.9ghz, corsair HX520 6 years stable, replaced now with E8400@3.9ghz and will overclock more when I'm bored.

3. Received thanks from:

Galant (15-12-2015)

Thanks

Found the issue. In case anyone else experiences this it stems from the Windows 10 Fast Start Up option. By default it's enabled and it seemed to be working well in my case, until it wasn't. Found some article via a Google search and by disabling the Fast Startup option the boot issue was resolved.

Apparently Win10 takes a state image on shutdown (but not restart) and uses that for a faster boot. Maybe that's why the boot times seemed to be so quick at first? It's just causing issues now, though. Haven't been able to find anything explaining if this function can be repaired. With it disabled, though, the boot times are faster. Not sure if as fast as at first.

To disable it, go to Control Panel > Power Options (control what happens when I push a button) and then click the text to enable invisible settings, and then disable fast startup.

Before I did this I tried disabling all third party services etc. on boot but it made no difference. The issue was the Fast Start.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

5. Received thanks from:

virtuo (16-12-2015)

Thanks
    • virtuo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 64Gb G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent 2TB PCIE4 NVME + NAS upon NAS upon NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3090 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2 Grey
      • Operating System:
      • RedStar 3, Ubuntu, Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung CRG90 5140x1440 120hz
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet's best, but still poor, attempt

Quote Originally Posted by Galant View Post
    Found the issue. In case anyone else experiences this it stems from the Windows 10 Fast Start Up option. By default it's enabled and it seemed to be working well in my case, until it wasn't. Found some article via a Google search and by disabling the Fast Startup option the boot issue was resolved.

Apparently Win10 takes a state image on shutdown (but not restart) and uses that for a faster boot. Maybe that's why the boot times seemed to be so quick at first? It's just causing issues now, though. Haven't been able to find anything explaining if this function can be repaired. With it disabled, though, the boot times are faster. Not sure if as fast as at first.

To disable it, go to Control Panel > Power Options (control what happens when I push a button) and then click the text to enable invisible settings, and then disable fast startup.

Before I did this I tried disabling all third party services etc. on boot but it made no difference. The issue was the Fast Start.
    I've just installed Win10 (From Win 7) and apart from the fuzzy text in the interface scaling (which I think I've sorted with a little workaround tool), I'm very happy with it. I'll know what to do if I run in to the slow bootup issue now.

Thanks

I had the same problem of a slow boot after the big update, but my issue was actually my HDD - it had started to fail earlier but the big update I think really degraded its performance. So like excalibur2 said, it really is a good idea to chkdsk regularly or when you have an issue like this.

8. Received thanks from:

Galant (17-12-2015)

Thanks

Yup. And I ran one yesterday, successfully, just to be sure.

Thread Information