Thread: ChkDsk Questions

Thanks

ChkDsk Questions

I have a few questions.

1. I ran ChkDsk inside Windows and I copied the file. I could clearly see the names of some of my files that were corrupted. I then looked for the log in Event viewer via Windows Logs, Application, found file with source as "ChkDsk". I searched for the names of the files that were in the ChkDsk results from before and they weren't there. I noticed this line: "CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)..." but couldn't see stages 2 or 3 mentioned anywhere. It seems to be missing a lot of info. Why is the log incomplete? Same applies to running ChkDsk at boot, except I found the log under the source of "Wininit".

2. I have a Seagate Archive 8TB SATA III drive. Every day I edit several videos on the drive removing commercials then I cut and paste the videos into directories on the drive. After 1 year the drive is full and I backup to another drive. When doing that with Tera Copy (file copier) it said all files were copied but a few of the files were NOT as they were corrupt. So I ran ChkDsk within Windows which only took a few minutes or an hour (I forget). That seemed to indicate it repaired things although the few files were lost as they were corrupted. I thought that fixed things but soon after I just clicked on a directory on the drive containing videos and it said it was inaccessible and the file size was zero! So I ran ChkDsk at boot, it took 17 hours to complete and that seems to have fixed things. Why didn't it fix things when it was run within Windows? The within Windows scan said "Windows has made corrections to the file system" and 0KB was in bad sectors.

3. When running ChkDsk at boot or within Windows can I enter a command to have it save a COMPLETE log file somewhere? I don't want to have to find an incomplete log in Event Viewer.

4. What parts of the log should I be worried about with regards to files being lost? I see lines like this which are obvious: "Deleting index entry Live at the Apollo S03 E06.ts in index $I30 of file 1911. Deleting index entry LIE099~1.TS in index $I30 of file 1911."
    But what about lines like the below? What do they mean?
    Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "") from file record segment 9895. Deleted corrupt attribute list entry with type code 128 in file 3596. Deleting orphan file record segment 9383. 6486 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. 0 EA records processed. 0 reparse records processed.

5. So the video in point 4 was corrupted. Before I ran ChkDsk I tried to play the video and it had a file size of zero and wouldn't play. But the original file name was still there so why did ChkDsk rename it to gibberish like this: LIE099~1.TS?

6. To run ChkDsk at boot I went into drive properties and ticked "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors". Is there a command for that instead?

Also my boot scan said "Windows has made corrections to the file system" "0 KB in bad sectors". Does that mean that there were NO bad sectors?
    If so, does that mean I can get ChkDsk to run much faster by unticking "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors". I only use the drive for 1 year so surely there's no way I would get phsyical damage (bad sectors)?

6. I'm really only interested in using ChkDsk to find out what files are corrupted and repairing them, etc. What command should I run for that?

7. I noticed by accident when using an FTP program that there's a folder called "found.000". Yet in Windows Explorer even when view hidden files is enabled I can't see that folder. Why can I only see it in my FTP program. It seems that folder contains several recovered files from ChkDsk.

Thanks

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: ChkDsk Questions

Chicks, like many tools, has a slightly misleading name.

Strictly it doesn't check the disk, it checks the file system structure and performs corrections to that.

The NTFS file system structure and the MFT that goes with it it quite complex, so check disk checks the integrity of the whole system, and then the integrity of the files, as far as confirming that file fragments are all there and referenced correctly.

It cannot determine if the data is corrupt because it doesn't know what the data was in the first place. Neither (IIRC) does it do anything at low disk level, the sectors it refers to are not low level disk sectors but file segments although the file system does try to allocate files within 512 byte chunks which corresponded to traditional 512 byte hard disk sectors

Allocation of data to hard sectors is determined by the disk itself, well away from the operating system and it can write that data wherever it likes on the platters, although obviously it will use the most efficient method to optimise read/write speeds.

I can't say why the chkdsk logs are incomplete. There will be command line switches for the various options, although they may not be well documented. Running something like chkdsk /? Or chkdsk /help may give a list of command switches. It's not a program I've used for a longtime!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

3. Received thanks from:

holygamer (26-01-2016)

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

1. Not sure, did it finish or was it waiting for a reboot to continue?

2. Couple of possible reasons. Firstly the drive has to be unmounted for deep checks - windows can unmount the drive if it's not a system drive, but you have to let it. If you don't unmount then running chkdsk before the OS loads allows a deeper scan. Secondly correcting errors may result in other metadata being incorrect, requiring chkdsk to fix that too. While this mostly happens in the same pass, sometimes you need another pass.

3. Pass

4. Index entries aren't too bad - they should be updating to reflect the actual file situation. It's where it says something like recovered file information to FOUND that you mostly need to worry about lost files.

But those things you mention are likely consequences of bad file information/metadata in the first place.

5. Guessing that it means there's somewhere you can poke around in the file, while also making sure it doesn't overwrite anything and making sure the file name is in a format easily read.

6. Yes. chkdsk <drive> /r

Sounds like it didn't find any new bad sectors that scan. Still could be other errors though.

Why is there no way you could get bad sectors? Nothing's perfect.

6-the-sequel. chkdsk <drive>

Note if the file is corrupt it won't be repaired. If the file metadata is corrupt it *may* be repairable.

7. Yes. What explorer/windows shows you about files/directories is completely different what the actual files/directories may be. Go to the cmd prompt/powershell to see them.

5. Received thanks from:

holygamer (26-01-2016)

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Kalniels response was far more concise than mine, put to pick up on bad sectors, you could have bad sectors. The disk st manufacture may have bad sectors that are mapped out during drive resting before shipping out for sale. There is also a pool of spare sectors that are used if a bad sector is detected during the service life of the disk. The affected sector is marked as bad, and the internal disk pointers map in a spare. All this is transparent to the operating system.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

7. Received thanks from:

holygamer (26-01-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by holygamer View Post
    1. I ran ChkDsk inside Windows and I copied the file. I could clearly see the names of some of my files that were corrupted. I then looked for the log in Event viewer via Windows Logs, Application, found file with source as "ChkDsk". I searched for the names of the files that were in the ChkDsk results from before and they weren't there. I noticed this line: "CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)..." but couldn't see stages 2 or 3 mentioned anywhere. It seems to be missing a lot of info. Why is the log incomplete? Same applies to running ChkDsk at boot, except I found the log under the source of "Wininit".
    It should list stages 2&3 in the same entry in the event log, you may need to scroll down to see the other stages, stage 1 would be when it checks the MFT (master file table) for inconsistencies and corrects them, normally that's not much of a concern as inconsistencies in the MFT can happen for a number of reasons.

2. I have a Seagate Archive 8TB SATA III drive. Every day I edit several videos on the drive removing commercials then I cut and paste the videos into directories on the drive. After 1 year the drive is full and I backup to another drive. When doing that with Tera Copy (file copier) it said all files were copied but a few of the files were NOT as they were corrupt. So I ran ChkDsk within Windows which only took a few minutes or an hour (I forget). That seemed to indicate it repaired things although the few files were lost as they were corrupted. I thought that fixed things but soon after I just clicked on a directory on the drive containing videos and it said it was inaccessible and the file size was zero! So I ran ChkDsk at boot, it took 17 hours to complete and that seems to have fixed things. Why didn't it fix things when it was run within Windows? The within Windows scan said "Windows has made corrections to the file system" and 0KB was in bad sectors.
    IIRC ChkDsk in windows won't do a sector by sector scan by default, based on it taking 17 hours the run chkdsk during boot it seems it checked for bad sectors then and possibly relocated any it found, if it found bad sectors it could be an early indication of the drive failing, if you want to check how many bad sectors are on the drive run chkdsk on the drive (from a command prompt without any switches) and see if, at the end of the report, it lists anything under the bad sectors heading.

3. When running ChkDsk at boot or within Windows can I enter a command to have it save a COMPLETE log file somewhere? I don't want to have to find an incomplete log in Event Viewer.
    IDK if you can save the results to a log file when running it via the GUI as it's not my preferred method, normally i run it via a command prompt (cmd.exe) from within windows, when doing it that way the results stay displayed in the command prompt, although if you want to save the results to a log file you can redirect the output using "chkdsk > log.txt" (without the quotes).

4. What parts of the log should I be worried about with regards to files being lost? I see lines like this which are obvious: "Deleting index entry Live at the Apollo S03 E06.ts in index $I30 of file 1911. Deleting index entry LIE099~1.TS in index $I30 of file 1911."
    But what about lines like the below? What do they mean?
    Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "") from file record segment 9895. Deleted corrupt attribute list entry with type code 128 in file 3596. Deleting orphan file record segment 9383. 6486 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. 0 EA records processed. 0 reparse records processed.
    Stage 1 is normally nothing to worry about as inconsistencies in the MFT can be cause for many, normally, minor reasons, basically the MFT it like a database of what files are located where on the drive and at times the database has an entry for a file that may not exist anymore, has the wrong name, wrong attribute or has the wrong location based on the files actual location, this link has a fairly good infomation on what all the different names refer to.

5. So the video in point 4 was corrupted. Before I ran ChkDsk I tried to play the video and it had a file size of zero and wouldn't play. But the original file name was still there so why did ChkDsk rename it to gibberish like this: LIE099~1.TS?
    It renames it in case you wanted to attempt to recover any of the data contained in the file, in this case pointless as a file with zero bytes probably has little or no data left.

6. To run ChkDsk at boot I went into drive properties and ticked "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors". Is there a command for that instead?
    Yes, open a command prompt and run "chkdsk X: /V /F /R" (with quotes) replacing X with the drive letter of the drive you want to check.

Also my boot scan said "Windows has made corrections to the file system" "0 KB in bad sectors". Does that mean that there were NO bad sectors?
    If so, does that mean I can get ChkDsk to run much faster by unticking "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors". I only use the drive for 1 year so surely there's no way I would get phsyical damage (bad sectors)?
    Yes and yes.

6. I'm really only interested in using ChkDsk to find out what files are corrupted and repairing them, etc. What command should I run for that?
    From a command prompt it would be "chkdsk c:" or "chkdsk d:", "chkdsk e:" and so on for whatever drive you want to check.

7. I noticed by accident when using an FTP program that there's a folder called "found.000". Yet in Windows Explorer even when view hidden files is enabled I can't see that folder. Why can I only see it in my FTP program. It seems that folder contains several recovered files from ChkDsk.
    Difficult to know for sure but have you also taken the tick out of hide protected system files?

9. Received thanks from:

holygamer (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    • stevie lee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair 3600 MHZ Cas 18
      • Storage:
      • 250GB BX500, M500 240GB, SN750 1TB NVME, mechs - Hitachi 1TB. WDblue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • sapphire 7700 1gb
      • PSU:
      • corsair RM550X
      • Case:
      • Xigmatech Midgard
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 42" Panasonix viera (1080p limited RGB)
      • Internet:
      • plusnet fibre

why are you using a drive designed for archiving as a live edit drive?
    its not designed for that. theyre meant for storage only not changing the files all the time.
    could be why its getting corrupted.

Thanks
    • satrow's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z77E-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Ivy Xeon 1230 v2/Be Quiet Shadow Rock Topflow
      • Memory:
      • GSkill 2x8GB DDR3 2400Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 3x 256GB SSDs, 2x 1TB 2.5" HDDs.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus blower GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 360W Gold
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Prodigy/2x 120mm fans
      • Operating System:
      • W7x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual (/triple) Dell U2412M 1900x1200
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk FTTC ~14Mbps

Quote Originally Posted by stevie lee View Post
    why are you using a drive designed for archiving as a live edit drive?
    its not designed for that. theyre meant for storage only not changing the files all the time.
    could be why its getting corrupted.
    My thoughts as well.

Thread Information