Thread: Windows 10 DPI scaling with new monitor

Thanks

Windows 10 DPI scaling with new monitor

Hi Guys, hope you all had a great Christmas.

So I have a Asus GL502 laptop running windows 10 home, ever since I bought it I've only been using it as a traditional laptop since I've been working away from home, I'm now back home-based for work and plugged my 27" 1920x1080 to my laptop via HDMI and erm.. something is very wrong.

Text is so pixelated (jagged edge etc), basically looks awful. Excel/Chrome etc are all the same (i.e look awful). Now I've spent the last 2 days googling and seem to be finding lots of posts about windows 10 being bad with high DPI screens, but no apparent "fix" other than changing the dpiscale, which i've played around with 100, 110, 120, 130, 140, 150% etc, none of them fix how bad textures look other than making them smaller/larger.

I've tried doing the properties > compatibility > disable dpi scaling, and yes this works great on some apps/programs, but doesn't seem to work for all, and most importantly (ha) doesn't seem to work at all for full screen games which are really suffering from the "scaling".

I have the latest Nvidia drivers and latest win 10 build.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Thanks

Re: Windows 10 DPI scaling with new monitor

Self update, after even more tinkering and research there seems to be multiple issues..

Firstly, Windows 10 was detecting my monitor as a TV when connected via Hdmi. I have rectified this by getting a DisplayPort cable and using that. It shows as Digital Monitor. This seems to have fixed the scaling issue (the size of everything is much better).

Second, while sorting the above I've discovered that the Display port and Hdmi port on my laptop seem to be running off the integrated Intel graphics and not the 970 GPU. I'm not sure how/if to force output from the GPU? I feel this will resolve the awful texture rendering I'm getting?

Thanks
    • noveltylamp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus V Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 128GB SSD/1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia Geforce GTX 670 2GB
      • PSU:
      • 550w Seasonic-built XFX
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2410 & 2209WA
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb

Re: Windows 10 DPI scaling with new monitor

Hi James,

Just seen how long it is since you posted, but if it's still of help - if you look in the BIOS/UEFI on your machine for Nvidia Optimus configuration you may be able to configure it so that it always uses the Nvidia GPU, at least that's my experience of laptops with both Intel and Nvidia GPU.

You've actually got a low-DPI monitor and not a high-dpi monitor, and if you're running at native res then shouldn't have scaling issues, is there a way to confirm you're running at 1920x1080 in the OSD of the monitor when you're seeing these problems?

Windows 10 anniversary update improved DPI scaling presumably you're on that already though.

Paul

Thread Information