Thread: PC restart upon launching new COD game?

Thanks

PC restart upon launching new COD game?

As per title but to go into it a few things have changed in the PC.

First an extra 16gb of ram was installed, so total is 32gb ddr4, 2x 2666mhz sticks and 2x 3600mhz sticks both corsair vengance.
    New AMD cpu installed, was running a ryzen 5 2600 but upgraded to a ryzen 5 5600.

So a little background! PC was running fine before hand, i have wondered if the ram is causing issues but ordered the sticks because they were "AMD certified" on scan o.o

The Computer is acting out when ever cod is booted, tried reinstalling the entire game, same issue told the other half to boot another game to see if it worked...and it did! so im leaning more toward this being a Battlenet issue if anything but ive not done any testing as of yet!

Following is the computer specs in case anyone asks

AsRock x570m pro4 motherboard
    2x corsair vengance 2666mhz 8gb sticks
    2x corsair vengance 3600mhz 8gb sticks
    650watt corsair CX PSU
    coolermaster lite 240 AIO cooler
    M.2 drive and two 2tb HDDs
    Gigabyte RTX 3060 OC edition GPU

Hoping someone has any advice about this being a "game" issue more than a hardware issue as best thing i can do is switch back to see if the problem persists...which would be a pain as I'm pretty sure i will have problems returning a CPU under RMA as its a rather isolated issue and I'm not keen on scans returns due to previous issues ha!

Cheers guys
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    It was so small that mine wouldn't fit into it

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

Re: PC restart upon launching new COD game?

Remove the new RAM, test
    Install new graphics card drivers, test
    Undervolt the GPU to 80% load power (using MSI afterburner), test

Also check what speed RAM is running at, it should be 2666. Switch to 3600 sticks only and test at 3600 speeds, then switch to 2666 sticks.

See if you can isolate the problem.

My guess is it's a power consumption issue and the PSU is close to failure, or it's a driver related issue.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Absolutely follow the above to check out the hardware as a first point of call.

Running 4 sticks of RAM is stressful enough on a memory controller, let alone ones with different ratings. You must run at no faster than the lowest rated, and quite likely you'll need to relax timings more than rated. If running above JEDEC speeds they are probably overclocked (which is normally fine) and overvolted, which is also normally fine, but again, can put more pressure on the mem controller, so if you're not wanting to overvolt that yourself to help out, you might need to take everything back to JEDEC speeds and volts.

I've certainly had situations where some games just stressed the computer in ways that previous ones didn't, and that exposed instability (in my case because I undervolt, and some games just needed me to knock that back a bit).

Once you've got everything working at JEDEC speeds/volts etc. then you can start raising to 2666 and required volts, together with probably boosting some volts to the CPU/Mem controller to get it stable - I don't know which settings that'd be on Ryzen.

Thanks

Nothing much to add, beyond the generic comment that so many things can cause a reboot. I used to have a little bit of machine code that'd do it, and it was only about three or four instructions. Of course, that was more like WinXP days so the latterday abstraction layer might well neuter that type of low-level access.

Other than that, anything from a program bug, to PSU issue might be responsible. The only suggestion I have has already been made, which is the step-by-step long way round, as per CptWhite .... starting with recent changes.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

I am forever having issues with blue screens on Windows 11.

Most memory related, latest one was today and was System Service Exception.

I too have 32GB DDR4

Everything in my system is brand new, apart from the motherboard so not sure if its memory or motherboard related
    Jon

Thanks

So! I actually did my normal test which all came back fine even to the point of the old CPU and ram back in, turns out it is a known issue but! i decided to re-flash the bios....PROBLEM FIXED!

So I can only assume it was a bit of a dodgy bios update that caused the issue!

I'm more of an intel guy so AMD confuses me, thanks for the replies but thankfully its running and she is happy again shouting profanity's playing COD whilst i just sit here breeding on ARK, Cheers guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    It was so small that mine wouldn't fit into it

7. Received thanks from:

cptwhite_uk (09-11-2022)

Thread Information