Thread: 'Pre-installing' Windows with Ghost - advice please

Thanks

Question 'Pre-installing' Windows with Ghost - advice please

I apologise if there have been similar topics in the past, but I have not found the answers I need by looking in them - specifically, I am in the process of building a new system, which will include a SATA 74GB Raptor primary hard drive.

What I would like to know is, is it possible to make a Ghost image of my perfect Windows install on my current drive - a 200GB IDE hard disk, with two partitions - and load it onto the Raptor using Ghost? If I do this, will it get around the necessity of installing SATA/RAID drivers during the Windows install, or would it be better to bite the bullet and figure out how to install to a SATA when the system is complete? I'd try it now, only my current mobo doesn't have SATA support, whereas the new one (Asus A8V SLI Deluxe) has two types of SATA, let alone two connectors).

I am really trying to save myself the time spent downloading updates and customising the install - hopefully, when broadband arrives in my area (June, allegedly), this really won't be such a hassle. On the other hand, would a Ghost image be loadable on any other HD's I have spare (i.e. be a great timesaver for helping out friends etc?)

Thanks for any help or advice given, this is a great forum and I haven't yet seen a thread without a response. Keep up the good work people!

Thanks
    • Brodieman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P5N32-E SLI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Duo 6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB
      • Storage:
      • 2x320GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 640Mb XFX nVidia 8800 GTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Wide Screen LG
      • Internet:
      • 20mb Cable
    Like your idea... but... probably not wise..

I'm guessing from the details you gave above that your are using a new motherboard, cpu, ram, graphics card, sound card.. (list goes on)... well you current system will use different drives, and probably an older ACPI type...

If you want a stable system I would install from fresh... then once you've done that on the new machine ghost it then... that way you'll only be installing once...

Install windows on to a sata drive is really simple... especially for attended installs.. in text mode of the install (the blue screen with grey/white text) you press F6 to add additional mass storage/SCSI drivers (using the floppy that came with your motherboard) and then your install will work as normal...

I know this is not the answer you want.. but would you rather spend you time creating a stable system or one about as stable as a 2 legged table....

let us know how it goes.. and of course the spec

Thanks
    • Neo_VR's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI X48L2R
      • CPU:
      • QX9450@3.2gig
      • Memory:
      • 4gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x36gb raptors striped 640gb AAKS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gainward 8800gt
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Liberty 600
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 22" wfp
      • Internet:
      • BT 8meg
    Windows would probably spit its dummy... it always seems to when changing mobos..
    maybe you should try the in-place install once you have ghosted the image back.. (basically installing windows back to same directory) - it then "upgrades" the installation, re-jigging it for the new mobo... it works well, apart from the ocassional anomoly.. i found that sp2 wouldnt re-install due to it thinking it was still on after reinstalling windows with sp1.

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies peeps - Brodieman, you're right, that wasn't what I wanted to hear lol! Never mind, best to do it the proper way first time, than have to do it twice. I am actually using all-new gear, true, and I'm trying to put together a Godzilla-level uber-beast, so it's going to need a little research and practice to get the hang of the new tech. These replies help though, so thanks.

Thread Information