Thread: Disk Boot Error

Thanks

Disk Boot Error

maybe 2/5 times i reboot my pc, i get this Disk Boot error please isnert system disk or something. And the only way i can get by this is clearing the CMOS.

Any idea why this is happening, also my Internet explorer likes to crash alot of the time.

Please help
    Rig: Amd 64 3700+ San Diego | Abit AT8 | 4x512 Corsair XMS3200C2PRO | PowerColour X850XTPE / Arctic Cooled | Samsung Spinpoint 250Gig | Enermax NoiseTake 485w | Arctic Freezer 64 Pro | Coolermaster Wavemaster Silver | Dell 2405FPW | Logitech G5 / Everglide Destrukt Monstermat |

Registered+
    Thanks
    Might be your HD is faulty and is on its way out.. I'd suggest backing up anything you want to keep - just in case.

I have also had a similar problem a while ago after I upgraded my memory. A memory module turned out to be faulty, but I was getting random crashes and often the PC wouldn't boot. I got errors saying the files where corrupt or invalid system disc, etc... I used MemTest to confirm that the memory was at fault and managed to get a new stick of memory.

Has there been anything that you've changed / upgraded recently on your PC..? Perhaps that is causing the problem.

Thanks
    no upgrades, but had quite a few problems, its a clean format. I will run mem test, and try and cancel out ram, as i like my ram . My hardrive such make crunching sounds sometimes, and takes a while to do stuff occassionly.

Is there anyway i can check if itsmy hardrive?
    Rig: Amd 64 3700+ San Diego | Abit AT8 | 4x512 Corsair XMS3200C2PRO | PowerColour X850XTPE / Arctic Cooled | Samsung Spinpoint 250Gig | Enermax NoiseTake 485w | Arctic Freezer 64 Pro | Coolermaster Wavemaster Silver | Dell 2405FPW | Logitech G5 / Everglide Destrukt Monstermat |

Thanks
    how do u work memtest? is it for intell only?
    Also, my windows sometimes takes ages, too load, like it will sit on the windows loading bar for upto 3 mins before booting windows
    Last edited by Merlin4458; 30-03-2006 at 11:15 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Most HD manufacturers have some kind of HD diagnostic tools that you can download from their site. I once had a couple of IBM Deskstars (or DeathStars - as they are sometimes known!) - both these drives started to make strange 'clunking' noises and both eventually died. Fortunately they were still under warrenty and IBM soon replaced them.

The HD tools aren't necessarily perfect - if it reports that the drive is ok, it could still die. However, if it reports a fault, then in my experience there is definiately a problem with the drive and should be replaced.

Registered+
    Thanks
    I have only ever used MemTest on Intel systems, but I'm sure there are other versions available..? Doing a quick Google search I see that there is a version for Macs and Linux too!

If you go to http://www.memtest86.com/ there should be a Bootable CD-ROM ISO available for download. Just burn it CD and boot from the disc...

Bewarned... It can take a long time to do a full memory test!

Thanks
    its asking for a floppy to run powermax, i dont have a floppy drive, so i duno wot to do

Thanks
    also with memtest, i copied the folder to cd but no option came up to boot it. Am i meant to do something special to createa boot disk

Registered+
    Thanks
    Unfortunately, you will probably need a floppy drive to run the PowerMax HD diagnostics - unless Maxtor offer a bootable CD version..?

Regarding MemTest, the ISO file that you downloaded is an image of a bootable CD. Just burn the image to CD - not as a file.

Thanks
    it came i na folded, and 2 files, one with file type as IMG, so i would jsut drop the IMg file into windows black CD and click write to cd?

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin4458
    it came i na folded, and 2 files, one with file type as IMG, so i would jsut drop the IMg file into windows black CD and click write to cd?
    Err.. and this means what??

All you need to do is download the following file - http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.2.iso.zip

Then extract it (unzip it). You will then be left with an ISO file. This file is an IMAGE of a CD. You will need to burn it using CD burning software. I use Nero for this sort of thing. Don't just burn the ISO file as a file to a CD - that won't work. In Nero there is an option to "Burn Image..." (it'll probably be similar in other applications) and select the ISO file...

Thread Information