Thread: Trouble installing ATI Cats

Thanks

Trouble installing ATI Cats

What the heck is going on? I'm setting up a new system and working on it connected to an old Dell monitor.I have changed CAT'S at least a 100 times and never had a problem.Here is what is going on.I'm setting up a X800XT PE on an MSI K8N NEO2 Plt MB..I installed the 6.4 drivers after putting in the OS and mainboard drivers..Everytime I booted the system it would look for new hardware.In the device manager it shows in yellow an "unknown device linked to the Radeon X800XT PE"..The device manager also shows the X800XTPE and the secondary installed with the correct drivers..
    I tried reinstalling the drivers again last night and here is what happened..
    Uninstalled the ATI driver from the "add remove programs" and rebooted..The screen resolution did not change...Ran Driver Cleaner,cleaned the Cab's and then all ATI files rebooted and the screen resolution did not change..Ran the ATI uninstaller tool and the screen reolution did not change..Cleaned entrys from the "system 32 and system32 driver folders"..Dureing all of these operations the screen never changed once to standaed VGA.
    I reinstalled the drivers..It shows all over as being installed,in the device manager,DX etc but the "unknown device linked to the X800XTPE still shows..What is going on????......

Thanks
    what OS? and what other hardware?

Thanks

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by ExceededGoku
    what OS? and what other hardware?
    Windows XP PRO SP2
    AMD 64 4000+ San Diego
    MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum-1C BIOS
    Corsair PC 3200 2 gigs
    Auigy2
    WD RAPTOR x2 IN RAID 0
    600W PW

Throbbing Member
    Thanks
    • 8bit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z170A-G43 PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury Black (8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1x Crucial MX100 512GB, 1x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (WD1001FALS)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire AMD R9 390 Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM650x
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide Air 540
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 29UM67 29", 21:9, 2560x1080
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet Fibre
    Might be worth trying downloading a new copy of the Catalyst drivers and clean installing them. I've religiously updated my Cats every month since I got my 9800Pro and all subsequent cards, similar things have happened to me a couple of times.

If you downloaded and installed from the combined package (with the Cat driver, WDM driver and Catalyst Control Center all in one at 34MB) then try getting these three things separately off the driver site and installing in the order Display Driver > WDM Driver (only if your card has ViVo tho) > Cat Control Center. Sometimes if I get a failed driver install, doing it like that fixes it if a fresh download of the combined suite doesn't.

When using Driver Cleaner, make sure you have the latest version and that it's updated before you use it. I haven't used it since I switched to XP x64 edition, but when I used it on standard XP the failsafe procedure was:

- Update Driver Cleaner Pro
    - Uninstall all ATI stuff from Add/Remove Programs
    - reboot into Safe Mode
    - Do your sweep with Driver Cleaner (do for ALL ATI entries, not just the general ATI one)
    - Boot into normal windows
    - Install Catalyst

worked every time.

Hope this helps in some way!
    8bit

PS. When uninstalling drivers the driver you're currently using stays in RAM until reboot, that's why the screen wasn't changing as you uninstalled stuff
    "shiro" - Windows 11 Home x64 :: Intel i5-12600K :: Corsair H115i :: MSI Z690-A Pro :: 2x 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR5 :: NVidia 4070 Super FE :: Corsair Force MP600 (1TB) :: WD Caviar Black (2TB) :: WD Caviar Green (2TB) :: Corsair Carbide Air 540 (white) :: LG 32QK500 2560x1440 :: Razer Pro Click :: Cherry KC6000 Slim ::

Thread Information