Thread: So i switch my computer on today, and huzzah, blue screen of death...

Thanks

So i switch my computer on today, and huzzah, blue screen of death...

Well there it is guys.... i cant get back into windows or anything now, not even in safe mode. So any ideas on interperating this message? All i gather is the C: wont mount today. I have an idea why, as i installed new software yesterday... but i cant even get back in to do a restore! aaaack!

For some reason that pic is coming out blurry and small on the forum, but here is it is clearer:

http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...B2QRLF7CIV9R9G

I guess you guys are pretty much my only hope, before i have to reformat

Cheers,

Kev
    Last edited by themaidenmaniac; 19-04-2006 at 12:21 PM.

Thanks
    You can actually just reinstal the Windows XP files without formating if you use the same disc by the way.

That should solve the problem if its just a software issue.

From memory...

Insert the XP disc...
    If you click on Enter to Install Windows XP, and then R to Repair.
    Not R first as that takes you to some command thing.
    That should start reinstalling windows without formatting.

I have had occations where I could not do this, but it is possible, although without a disc to hand, I can't get the exact method, but its something like that.

Maybe someone else knows the exact method to do this with the windows xp setup. If not, when I get home tonight, I can try it on my PC and then let you know fully. PM me if you want me to do that for you, or reply here.

Thanks
    Hey Ross, i'll give it a go right now If problems for some reason, i'll shoot you a PM which'll be great if you can help!

ed: Ive just popped the xp disc in, but i cannot make it repair automatically without getting put to the command line

I notice you're in Bristol too! Whereabouts are you based?!

Kev
    Last edited by themaidenmaniac; 19-04-2006 at 12:59 PM.

Thanks
    • dave87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus
      • CPU:
      • i5 3470k under Corsair H80 WC
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240gb SSD + 120gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD7950
      • PSU:
      • XFX 600w Modular
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A05FNB + Acoustipack
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell S2309W (1920x1080)
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Option 2
    you have to go through windows setup as if you are installing a fresh copy, but when you get to the bit to select which drive to install it on, it will detect the xp install and give you the option to repair it - avoid the recovery console unless you know what you are doing

Splash
    Looks like you need to take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;555302

Basically provided you haven't switched cables or been monkeying with your BIOS you should be able to sort this by booting from your install CD and selecting the option to Repair (r) to take you to the command line (recover console - it's not as scary as the above posts suggest - I promise!). From there you need to type

chkdsk /r

and press enter. Allow that to run (this may take some time dependent on your drive size) but should be able to sort your issue. Once this is complete type

exit

then enter and reboot your machine.

If that doesn't work you could try fixboot instead of chkdsk /r by using the same procedure. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dave87
    you have to go through windows setup as if you are installing a fresh copy, but when you get to the bit to select which drive to install it on, it will detect the xp install and give you the option to repair it - avoid the recovery console unless you know what you are doing
    Dave, i couldnt get that to work, it just wants to format the partition before anything else??? Cheers anyway tho!

Quote Originally Posted by Splash
    Looks like you need to take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;555302

Basically provided you haven't switched cables or been monkeying with your BIOS you should be able to sort this by booting from your install CD and selecting the option to Repair (r) to take you to the command line (recover console - it's not as scary as the above posts suggest - I promise!). From there you need to type

chkdsk /r

and press enter. Allow that to run (this may take some time dependent on your drive size) but should be able to sort your issue. Once this is complete type

exit

then enter and reboot your machine.

If that doesn't work you could try fixboot instead of chkdsk /r by using the same procedure. Let us know how you get on.

Gonna try that command right now splash, thanks a lot. I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by themaidenmaniac
    I notice you're in Bristol too! Whereabouts are you based?!
    Yeah! Another person from Bristol! I am in between Bath and Bristol pretty much.

Intresting Splash, I never really bothered with teh recovery console. I will have to look into what i can do with that. Thanks.

Splash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Stone
    Intresting Splash, I never really bothered with teh recovery console. I will have to look into what i can do with that. Thanks.
    It's invaluable for situations just like this

Thanks
    It's invaluable for situations just like this
    Im hoping so lol.

Its 59% through so far, so im gonna grab a snack, watch neighbours til 2, and report back to you !

Thanks
    Well, after a quick search, I have found a list of commands here that could also be useful to know just in case. Gives details of what the /r is for too.

Anyway, slighty off topic, sorry.

I hope the chkdsk /r works for you Kev.

Thanks
    Well, after a nice lunch and a good old neighbours epidose, i went up stairs to find the computer had fixed its ways and has just booted up a beauty!

Thanks heaps for this quick fix splash! Thats one invaluable command there, and i'll be remembering that for years to come

Cheers also Ross and Dave for the input today! Ross, do you know parkway station? I live literally right next door to that- its amazing how out of the whole Internet you still manage to find people in your own town Ive got another mate called Ross who lives in wick which funnily enough is pretty clse to where you say you're living LOL

thanks again !

Kev

Splash
    No problem - to be honest it's worth taking the time to get to know the recovery console for times like this - it can be a lifesaver!

Thanks
    Starts Google Searching the Recovery Console Features and Uses...

Quote Originally Posted by themaidenmaniac
    Ross, do you know parkway station? I live literally right next door to that- its amazing how out of the whole Internet you still manage to find people in your own town Ive got another mate called Ross who lives in wick which funnily enough is pretty clse to where you say you're living LOL
    Different Ross btw, lol. Yes I do know Parkway Station, but not well. I commute into Bath rather than Bristol, so I am not familar with Bristol at all. I think the last time I was anywhere near there was when i went to the bristol acadamy to see some music gig?

Thanks
    No problem - to be honest it's worth taking the time to get to know the recovery console for times like this - it can be a lifesaver!
    Yeh definitely. I must have wasted hours formatting and reinstalling everything when i could have used that recovery console somehow!

Kev

Thanks
    recovery console: fixmbr would have probably done the trick.

Splash
    Possibly, but given that it could have been any number of data corruption issues you should always go with chkdsk /r in the first instance. Fixmbr can do a lot of harm if not used correctly.

Thread Information