Thread: PC Freezing...

la la la
    Thanks

PC Freezing...

im having a problem with my pc where it suddenly starts freezing. during this period the hdd activity light is on literally solidly, also cpu activity goes to 100%. then it dies out, then after 20 secs or less it starts again. i can think of nothing that has triggered this, it just randomly seems to happen every couple of weeks. i restart and the problem doesnt go away, then i leave the pc off for a few hours or overnight and when i turn back on it magically works fine again. this happened last night and i havent tried it again but i imagine when i go home it will work fine. the problem seems linked to utorrent as its always after this is running that the problem starts, but obviously when i restart utorrent isnt open but the problem persists ! help much appreciated as i dont have a clue whats wrong

Registered+
    Thanks
    Ben,

Sometimes I have the same problem with my laptop, It normally happens when im running a DVD or an application that is using alot of CPU usage. I didnt manage to fix it but found out that it is something to do with my drivers. Specificaly my Video and graphis drivers. I lost the CD that came with my laptop so had to install what ever I could find and I think this has triggerd the problem.

The only other things that could be causing the problem is if your computer is over heating or has faulty memory.

I think it could be your sound or video drivers, but im no expert! I hope this has helped at all

Aj

Thanks
    Have you done a full virus, malware scan and defrag etc. It's always a good idea and can't hurt.

which process is using the cpu 100%?

la la la
    Thanks
    im not sure which it just does upto 99% on the meter thing...

ive done the virus and malware scan but not a full defrag yet

i installed antivir by avira which caused a new problem of an A: appearing when i dont have a floppy drive :-/

Thanks
    the virus scan i use you can use for free as it's online, just go to panda activescan and it'll do a basic virus scan for you.

http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/ActiveScan.htm

as for the process, next time the problem happens go to task manager (right click the task bar and select Task Manager), select the processes tab and select the CPU title so it sorts it by cpu, it should then display the process that's using all the cpu (you may need to tick 'show processes from all users' at the bottom to see them all)

la la la
    Thanks
    ok i will check that out

im fairly sure its not a virus problem as i have some great scanners and monitors that i run regularly and are updated etc. i also run ad aware now and then to keep things clean. might actually buy the pro version as the scanner stops tracking cookies etc which are everywhere

Thread Information