Thread: Odd situational display problems

Thanks

Odd situational display problems

Hey everyone, I'm already totally stumped on what may be going on with my system. My novice level of experience can't figure it out... So here's the story.

(My system at this time consisted of an EVGA nforce4, Athlon64 3500+, GeForce7900GT, 520w PSU, 512x2 patriot ram and 19" Rosewill lcd monitor)

Months ago I had this problem. 1)It started on with a few stuck pixels on my desktop and with web browsing and such. But they weren't really stuck pixels on the monitor, they would pop up here and there based on what colors or patterns I might have on screen. A green pixel stuck here, a straight dotted line of pinkish pixels down the middle of a webpage I was scrolling was a common one. 2)I'm not sure how long that went on, but the next bad step I noticed was a few random stuck blue pixel in my BIOS. Followed by some specific graphical problems with my 3d programs. In WoW, things started to flicker. Large portions of the screen would begin to flicker, its hard to describe. Like my entire screen was made up of maybe a 20 or 30 large uneven triangles, and in those shapes the flickering would come and go. 3)Finally my monitor started to power itself off, at first just for fractions of a second, then more and more until it wouldn't power up.

At this point, I tested what I could. I had just put in that 7900 maybe two months prior and threw in my old 6600 to test. Same problems, so I ruled out video cards there. But, given I couldn't get my damn system to display anything and my card was still replaceable, I RMA'd the 7900 and now have that newer one.

Given the kind of 3d problems I had I didn't suspect it was the monitor, so after sulking and trying to think of what it might be I tried a different monitor for the heck of it and like magic, nothing was wrong. (The monitor used for testing was a CRT from a neighbors HP) I ordered a new LCD from BenQ, plugged it in and everything was fine and has been for months.

Now here we are roughly 6 months from that time, and same problems I had before, only steps 1 and 2 so far, are showing themselves again. I should also mention that within those 6 months I've even replaced my RAM and CPU. (I now use the same nforce4 mobo, a new Athlon X2 4400+, a fresh GeForce 7900GT, the same 520w psu, 512x4 Corsair RAM, and a fresh 19" BenQ LCD monitor)

Nearly every damn thing has been changed and I've got the same problems. I've updated all my drivers. What in the world is going on here? The culprit would have to be either the PSU or mainboard somehow right? But how could those pieces do something like this?

***** Lurker
    Thanks
    • d3fiant's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GB X58A-UDR3 FB11
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 950
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 12GB DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 2x 120GB OCZ Agility SSD + 500GB SP F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GB Windforce GTX670 2GB
      • PSU:
      • 850W Akasa
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 HP Retail
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" 1920x1080 Iiyama LED
      • Internet:
      • 60MB VM
    mobo could be the source of the issues, I had a similar issue and it turned out that there was some damage to the AGP slot (electrical not mechanical), rma'd the mobo but it had also caused damage to the AGP card, was not a good time. Hope you find a cure

Thread Information