Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Philips VOIP841 PC-free DECT/Skype phone - world's first review

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gajsler View Post
    I am having a real problem with a brand new VOIP841. I can connect to Skype, I can see my contacts etc, everything looks fine. But when I try to dial either a Skype or Skype-Out number, it appears to connect and my credit goes down (for Skypout), but there is no sound. If I dial Skypeout there is no ringing tone, but dialling Skype, there is a ringing tone for a few secs and then nothing.

I do not have a regular telephone line attached yet, but I don't see how that would effect Skype calls. Anyone have any suggestions ? I have emailed Philips but got no reply.
    Personally, I'd just ask the reseller to replace it - before that, though, you might like to take it round to a mate's place and see if you have the same problem when connecting via that router.

Thanks
    Well I got a reply from Philips and they suggested the firmware might be corrupted and to try upgrading it. I tried this using the bin file from their website and lo and behold, it worked. I did not change anything else; so I must just have received a phone with a corrupted firmware.

I don't actually understand how firmware gets "corrupted" (especially on a brand new unused phone), so I hope that this is not the sort of thing that can repeat itself. Fingers crossed that it keeps working.

Leo

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gajsler View Post
    Well I got a reply from Philips and they suggested the firmware might be corrupted and to try upgrading it. I tried this using the bin file from their website and lo and behold, it worked. I did not change anything else; so I must just have received a phone with a corrupted firmware.

I don't actually understand how firmware gets "corrupted" (especially on a brand new unused phone), so I hope that this is not the sort of thing that can repeat itself. Fingers crossed that it keeps working.

Leo
    I suspect that this happened during manufacturing - though I'd have liked to think that the quality control during that process would have spotted the fault.

Thanks

Chat

I am interested in getting this Philips Phone, but I saw on an similar phone had problems if a chat was sent. How does the Philips cope with this, and if I have my PC logged in does the chat come to that?

Thanks

Ian

Thanks
    Ian, there is no text chat option on the Philips phone.

The only comm actions you have with another Skype user is to call them or send them a voicemail.

Beware of one thing if you are intending to buy a SkypeIn number - a number on which people can call you from landlines or mobiles.

There is an issue with the London gateway for SkypeIn calls (actually, the problem may be wider - but Skype is saying it's "only" London), such that you can hardly hear the caller, the voice breaks up badly.

Perversely, this means that I usually have to call back when anyone rings my London SkypeIn number (even if they're calling me from round the corner); whereas, calls coming into my USA-based SkypeIn number are pretty close to perfect.

I'm told by Philips that Skype is trying to sort this out as a matter of priority but this is causing me no end of serious grief.

I ditched my BT line as my business number (I still have a Virgin/NTL number for home use) and my business number is now my London SkypeIn number.

So, I have to phone back virtually everyone who calls me on my London SkypeIn number.

That's easy to do if they haven't turned off caller ID-sending but a sod if they have, cos it can be VERY hard to hear the number if you ask them for it.

And, of course, what ever the case the whole thing casts each call in a very unprofessional light and also means I'm having to make a paid-for call to speak to anyone who calls me on that SkypeIn number.

:-(

As I understand the situation - and I have yet to test it - the same problems I have with that London SkypeIn number are also being suffered by Linux users with London SkypeIn numbers (cos the Philips phone uses the Linux gateway, rather than the gateway that is used for Windows PCs).

On the upside (and presuming Skype does get its act together soon) - because the phone uses a different gateway to Windows PCs, it's actually possible to receive two calls at once to the same SkypeIn number - if you pick up one on the Philips phone and the other on the PC.

And that could be useful to anyone who typically uses the phone while sat at a PC that's logged into Skype.

I'm desperately hoping that Skype is going to get its act together soon - as, I am sure, is Philips UK, since the company has been using free SkypeIn numbers as a promotional freebie recently.

The last thing that Philips wants is people returning the many phones it hopes to sell - but I'd assume that's likely to happen if they find SkypeIn isn't working properly.

At that point, Philips is almost certain to seek restitution from Skype, when it certainly will have to start sorting things out.

Skype itself may also have a more direct problem - it used a "free" SkypeIn number as a come-on to get people to sign up to Skype Pro (though I think that promotion has now ended).

So, if people have problems with with their "free" SkypeIn number they may choose to bin Skype Pro or even Skype in its entirety.

Thanks
    Ah that puts a crimp in things. I currently have a London based SkypeIn Number which I use heavily, as I work out side the UK, but want to maintain a UK presence. This works perfectly for most users.

Maybe I have to risk it, or get another SkypeIn number. (Brighton maybe)

The other solution is to have my Mac Mini running, using the PolarIP Cordless Atomic Skype Phone or similar, but knowing my luck, the Mac Skype probably uses the Linux Gateway as well. (Need to check.)

Regarding the chat facility, it not to be able to send or receive chats, it that on the DUALphone 3088, I read that if some one sends a chat, the message they receive back is that I am running an outdated Skype version. Does the Philips also have this problem? as half of my Skype is text usually from the US at inconvenient times which I pick up on my PC later.

Thanks

Ian

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianc168 View Post
    Ah that puts a crimp in things. I currently have a London based SkypeIn Number which I use heavily, as I work out side the UK, but want to maintain a UK presence. This works perfectly for most users.
    And it will continue to do so, I'd hope, when using your Windows PC.

Maybe I have to risk it, or get another SkypeIn number. (Brighton maybe)

The other solution is to have my Mac Mini running, using the PolarIP Cordless Atomic Skype Phone or similar, but knowing my luck, the Mac Skype probably uses the Linux Gateway as well. (Need to check.)
    Sorry, I don't know if Macs use the Linux gateway (though I tend to suspect that they do) or one that's dedicated to Apple computers

Regarding the chat facility, it not to be able to send or receive chats, it that on the DUALphone 3088, I read that if some one sends a chat, the message they receive back is that I am running an outdated Skype version. Does the Philips also have this problem? as half of my Skype is text usually from the US at inconvenient times which I pick up on my PC later.
    No one has ever complained of that happening when trying to chat with me but, truth is, I'm not 100% certain that anyone has tried to chat with me while I was making a Skype call (or taking a Skype call) on the Philips phone.

While I was composing this reply, I did a whole lot of searches of the net to try to locate other reports about problems with SkypeIn on the Philips phone or Linux or Mac OS and pretty much drew a blank - though I'm not sure whether that's of any significance.

Bob C

Thanks
    Thanks, will try the Mac and report Back.

Ian

Thanks

An important update!

I was informed at the tail end of last week by Skype that it had sorted out the problem I was having with my London-based SkypeIn number.

And, blow me down if it doesn't seem to have done just that!

I've now received a goodly number of calls to that SkypeIn number and the problem appears to have gone away.

Phew!

Nonetheless, I'd be most curious to know if others are having SkypeIn problems - especially with their Philips VOIP841 phones or with Linux-based PCs.

Bob

Thanks
    Bob

I just received the Philips VOIP841, and its works well.

I had no problems on the SkypeIN at all, but reading the above post explains that.

The only annoyance I have is regarding the chat issue, where the message received by the chatter is that I have an incompatible version of Skype for chats and sending files. Wish I could have a user defined error message so I could point them at my email, or similar.

Otherwise extremely please with the Philips, and now am going to read the manual to see if there are any ways I can improve it ( I do not us a landline so can I switch that off, etc)

Ian

Loves duck, Peking Duck! bsodmike's Avatar
    Thanks
    • bsodmike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Misc.
      • CPU:
      • Mac Pro 2.8 GHz (8-cores) / iMac 2.8GHz C2D Extreme Edition / MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 & 13.3" 2.26 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR2 kits on all systems / FB ECC RAM in Mac Pro
      • Storage:
      • 320GB + 3x 1TB, Mac Pro / 500 GB, iMac / 2x 1TB & 2x 2TB WD My Book Studio II, via FW800 to Mac Pro
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB (two dual-link DVI ports / Mac Pro)
      • PSU:
      • Misc.
      • Case:
      • Misc.
      • Operating System:
      • Mac OS X 10.5 (Mac Pro) / Mac OS X 10.4.11 (others)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple 23" Cinema HD / Dell FPW2408 / iMac 24" display
      • Internet:
      • 2mbps ADSL (Mac Pro) / 512kbps WiMax (Wifi/MacBook Pro)
    Today I found my self @ FNAC in Geneva, Balexert and was looking for a birthday gift for my Uncle when I remembered that I wanted to pick up a heatset/Skype phone...I saw a regular USB handset and then saw this for CHF 280.- (odd) and it looked really good.

I had them open it up. Cat5, regular phone line, and 2x AAA 750mAhs....I decided to pick it up.

Got home and did not even look at the manuals. I figured the larger/heavier AC adapter would be for the basestation (I was correct), and actually compared the output/input voltage/current ratings. First thing I did was plug in the base station. I then setup the cradle and phone.

Power on - choose language, country code and Skype u/p - and I'm online!

Completely blown away and am really loving this...and after reading the Hexus review, it looks like I didn't do too bad for a *random* un-researched purchase...although a bit on a pricey side....but perfect for my needs!

Comments...:

I noticed that this thing actually 'supports' multiple handsets, so what's up with Phillips not selling 'em....just yet maybe?

It also looks like one can have up to four (4) handsets; probably the maximum at any one time.

Earlier this evening I spoke with my Aunt on speaker phone (as it was still charging) and the quality was fantastic - crystal clear. This was a call to her PC too. I hope to be testing SkypeOut shortly to Colombo, Sri Lanka (home) - the primary reason I'm seriously going Skype...
    Last edited by bsodmike; 17-07-2007 at 12:19 AM.

Thanks
    bsodmike,

It's always a relieve when people's comments largely underline what you say in a review - so thanks for the posting.

Now that the problem with SkypeIn to London seems to have been sorted, I've not got any major issues with the product at all.

Actually, no, that's not quite right - I think that, in fact, you can only use one handset per base-station.

At least, I've tried two phones (each supplied with its own base-station) and have only ever been able to get the second phone to work by connecting its base-station to the network router.

And that's not something most people would want to do - nor have to pay out for a base-station with each phone.

I guess there may be some setting somewhere that I missed but life is short and it isn't overly easy to find what you want in the Philips user manual.

Bob

Thanks
    Hi,

Can I ask anyone who owns one of these phones if it has a vibrate alert or not. I've looked through the pdf manual but can't find any reference to one.

Cheers,
    VB

Thanks
    No vibrate that I found, but a loud ringtone

Ian

Thanks
    • bsodmike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Misc.
      • CPU:
      • Mac Pro 2.8 GHz (8-cores) / iMac 2.8GHz C2D Extreme Edition / MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 & 13.3" 2.26 GHz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 320GB + 3x 1TB, Mac Pro / 500 GB, iMac / 2x 1TB & 2x 2TB WD My Book Studio II, via FW800 to Mac Pro
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Misc.
      • Case:
      • Misc.
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    Tried pressing 'int'? I let's you see other handsets?!?

What I would like (lol) Polyphonic ringtones, would like to have the CTU ringtone

Been using it loads and am really glad I picked it up. Has been my first 'tech' purchase since December '06 I think, and it's pretty fantastic. Probably saved loads in many international calls to USA, UK, Switzerland, Sri Lanka etc. I find SkypeOut calls to be very clear, while Skype <-> Skype calls aren't so great considering the net connection here isn't too fantastic, and longer distance calls for example suffer a lot more echoes/issues (hops, dropped packets and lag)...SkypeOut however only uses part internet, part POTS (I think?) so the quality is as good as a direct international call and with minimal echo...

Thank you Bob - I in fact read your review *after* I had purchased it, and had it working and was pleased to see that I had made a fantastic *random* purchase, that I've found to be invaluable; I've stopped topping-up my mobile, as much as I used to

I was just reading this 'review' of the VOIP841, but looks like the author is basing this on a 'tester', which he admittedly says has no head-phone jack. Mine has the jack, and I'm guessing it's EU?

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...ervice+reviews

To quote him,

Another feature I liked—one that many other Skype phones don't offer—let me set a default line: landline or Skype. Alternatively, you can pick which service to use for each number dialed. (Of course, calls to other Skype users are free.)
    I just found this option hiding under Settings > Call Settings > Preferred Line. Your options are: Skype, Landline or 'Always Nag'

The phone allows for use of multiple handsets and for making intercom calls. You can also do conference calling with multiple handsets registered to the same base. The device also has mute and speakerphone capabilities and can store up to 500 Skype and SkypeOut contacts.
    Interesting that with all his negative comments that he seems quite positive about this, wonder if this has been tested ?!?

As for all his other issues, mine is also reporting V1.0.4.50 and I've not had any audio issues, freezing or anything for that matter. Since I got this on the 16th of July, it has been working flawlessly...

ianc168: Which ringtone is this? Can one add other ringtones?

Vague_Boy: I know I should look at the CD, but is the PDF there? I've Googled but not found it available online; if any one knows of an online source please let me know. Else if you don't mind emailing it to mike@bsodmike.com, that would be great!
    Last edited by bsodmike; 30-07-2007 at 10:02 PM.

Thanks
    • bsodmike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Misc.
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Misc.
      • Case:
      • Misc.
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    Bob,

I'm sure you've tried all the obvious stuff, but have you tried Settings > Handset > Select Base ?!?

What's Register/De-Register about...makes me think you're right, looks like you can only 'pair' one handset per base? Again the obvious, have you tried Registering *both* handsets with only one base connected?

Thanks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information