Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nation takes a stand, petrol protest on Saturday

Thanks

Re: Nation takes a stand, petrol protest on Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by usxhe190 View Post
    go protest - won't change anything. has the uk government ever listened to the public?? they are greedy selfish little muppets.
    Protests don't change anything over here because they lack the volume of support needed to effect change, and also because of the negative belief that they won't change anything. Or at least that's the way I see them.

Having said that though, I think I agree

Thanks

I agree with the general sentiments of Nick, but it allways gets me that these fuel protests work in such a way that they limit supply and so the oil companies now are able to charge much more per litre pushing the fuel prices up. If its the tax that the protest is at then the government should be the target not the oil companies.

Thanks
    • rover214's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8P67M
      • CPU:
      • I5 2400
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Mushkin Copperhead
      • Storage:
      • 120gb Intel 330 ssd, 1tb Samsung F3, 500gb WD Caviar Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA gtx 660 sc 2gb
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 600w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Arc Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 22" full HD led
      • Internet:
      • VM 60mb

I have a 70 mile round trip to work, I would car share if the option was there, unfortunatley all of the people I work with live more locally to the compay site,

The problem I face is that, I could not get a better paid job or better hours nearer to home (mon-thurs) and the fact that I do not have to drive to work on a Friday is a plus both socially and financially

Of course, I would welcome a cut on fuel tax but, if that were to happen, we would get taxed more on other things,

As far as I see now, the government seem to see driving as a vice along side cigarettes and alcohol and tax us so.

Out of the Loop
    Thanks
    • vrykyl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG X570 Strix-E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3900 @ 4.5ghz 1.28v (Noctua DH15)
      • Memory:
      • 32gb (2x16gb) Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz @ 3800mhz 1.35v
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Corsair MP600 NVME, 256gb Samsung Evo, 4tb WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC 10gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX 860w + White Braided Cables
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Limited Edition (Soundproofed)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 49" CRG9 Ultrawide 5120x1440 @ 120hz
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 80mb fibre (80/20)

iv been trying to use my car as little as possible lately, simply because it doesnt do well fuel economy wise in our new area (just moved house)

My old typical journey involved maybe 90% A road/dual carriage way....id get 200miles out of half a tank of fuel...which is about £30 worth.....
    Now I can drive for half an hour in any direction from my house and not break 30mph...and its all town driving......atm Im lucky if I get 100 miles from a half tank

100 miles for £30 is pretty damn expensive...

Thanks
    • DeSean's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P5K Premium Wifi/AP
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600 B3 @ 2400Mhz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 2x2048MB
      • Storage:
      • Raptor 36GB, MaXLine III 2x250GB, HD501J 2x500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS OC 320MB
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone Zeus ST75ZF
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ-09
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 225MW
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 10Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    No, I don't... you have a reason for a big 4x4, you do make use of it... it's the town and city drivers in their 4x4s that make me mad

I wasn't implying that benefit fraud would fill the hole I meant that there's more pressing issues, such as benefit fraud, companies openly avoiding tax through loopholes we're too slow to close, (as you say) govt departments stupidly over-manned or full needless of middle-management consultant bods.

They reckon we'll be spending £12 billion on the Olympic games... 12 BILLION... on GAMES!

This is, to me, utter lunacy. Simply put, as a country, we CANNOT afford it. I laugh when the government issues a press release about how we're all spending too much on credit cards and borrowing is catastrophically high due to us wanting and buying what we can't afford but the Olympics is a classic example of just that.

The Dome was another superb waste of money.

And to be honest, you cannot trust any of the people on power... not one of them... opposition or incumbent, all of them might talk the talk but they've ALL got their eye on how to make money at the end of the day. The Tories were riddled with sleaze and greed scandals when they were dumped from power and Labour is the same now...

Christ, now I'm starting to sound like Rave....

Quote Originally Posted by usxhe190 View Post
    go protest - won't change anything. has the uk government ever listened to the public?? they are greedy selfish little muppets.

Quote Originally Posted by gt81 View Post
    Protests don't change anything over here because they lack the volume of support needed to effect change, and also because of the negative belief that they won't change anything. Or at least that's the way I see them.

Having said that though, I think I agree
    Wow this is fun!

I was trying to make the point that government departments are not *necessarily* overstaffed. When Revenue and Customs were merged, thousands of jobs were removed. Some parts of HMRC are now struggling to get their job done. Many government departments are wasteful, but that is the nature of government, the challenge is to reduce the waste to a minimum (through good management and possibly competition).

The country can afford the Olympic games. £12 billion is clearly an astronomical amount of money but it does not all get spent in one budget. The place is not in such a mess that this expenditure will ruin us. The idea is meant to be that the games provide investment and lasting infrastructure, such as housing and transport after they are finished. The millennium dome was an expensive disaster. The only thing I can say in its defence is that at least it was an attempt to do something a bit different. The country would be a boring place if we were all utilitarians, with the aim of getting the most "utility" out of every single pound.

The quote "power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" is still completely true. However it's totally wrong to say that all politicians are just out to make money. Gordon Brown will not be a wealthy man by the time he leaves power, and he is clearly not there to make money. The same is true for the conservatives who come from ordinary backgrounds if they get elected. All political parties will have scandals by the time they have spent this long in office. But accepting dodgy campaign funds is a far cry from stealing taxpayers money in my view.

The majority of the policies of any UK government are formed and shaped by public opinion. They listen to us because we vote them in and out. Its not perfect, but I'm unable to see an obviously better alternative. They do listen to protest. The major example (of the public being ignored) is the Iraq war, and that happened largely because of Tony Blair's determination to be involved, not because of politicians in general ignoring the public.

The reason influential protests do not happen often in this country is because the place is fairly stable and most people are fairly satisfied. It's basically as simple as that.

I feel embarrassed writing essays like this on a tech website, but your negativity is getting me down. I hear the same things in "real life": a whole load of moaning when the majority of us live very very comfortable lives compared to most of the rest of the world.

Banned
    Thanks

Most people have 4 x 4's to show off. Especially all the ones who live in a city and are miles from any countryside!! They should make a special tax up for 4 x 4 owners!!! Unless of course they are farmers etc.

I must remember to top up the car tomorrow!!

Thanks
    • Phillikon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • BFG Nforce 680i SLi
      • CPU:
      • Intel® Core™2 Duo E6850
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ SLI 8500@1T
      • Storage:
      • 500Gb striped set Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 8800GTX XXX x2 in SLi / BFG Agiea PhysX card
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy DXx 1000w
      • Case:
      • Enermax Server Case CS-718BK
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP w2408h 24" HDMI
      • Internet:
      • BT Internet 8Mb Broadband, "so they tell me!"

People keep complaining that 4x4s are used by city dwellers and are nowhere near the Countryside.

OK that's a viable point, but you can put that argument to anything.

What's the point of a car that goes over 30 if you live in a town?
    What’s the point of a Porsche if you don't live on a racing track?
    What's the point of having more than one bedroom in your house/flat if you are single?
    The list goes on.
    What about if you just like the look of 4x4s, isn't that reason enough to own one?
    I think so.
    No, I don't own one before you ask.
    Life is like Computing, just when you get it all working properly, Bits need replacing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DeSean View Post
    The reason influential protests do not happen often in this country is because the place is fairly stable and most people are fairly satisfied. It's basically as simple as that.

I feel embarrassed writing essays like this on a tech website, but your negativity is getting me down. I hear the same things in "real life": a whole load of moaning when the majority of us live very very comfortable lives compared to most of the rest of the world.

And thus the problem with Joe Public. The culture of contentment, or more cynically, the lack of imagination to believe that life could be better. The power of negative thinking has been lost.

As for the last sentence, not one I entirely disagree with, but it's still the same conservative argument that defends the way things are, rather than looking at how things could be. In itself I find it quite a negative statement as it presupposes this is the best things can get, and if this is the best things can get, why bother doing anything.

Tiresome as it sounds, people aren't moaning enough. No change ever happened because people were positive to begin with.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillikon View Post
    People keep complaining that 4x4s are used by city dwellers and are nowhere near the Countryside.

What's the point of having more than one bedroom in your house/flat if you are single?
    The list goes on.
    What about if you just like the look of 4x4s, isn't that reason enough to own one?
    I think so.
    Just to add one more:

What's the point in modern existence when we could all dwell in caves and live off the fat of the land? No industrial-capitalist production, no consumerist society, no climate change. Simple really.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DeSean View Post
    Wow this is fun!

I was trying to make the point that government departments are not *necessarily* overstaffed. When Revenue and Customs were merged, thousands of jobs were removed. Some parts of HMRC are now struggling to get their job done. Many government departments are wasteful, but that is the nature of government, the challenge is to reduce the waste to a minimum (through good management and possibly competition).

The country can afford the Olympic games. £12 billion is clearly an astronomical amount of money but it does not all get spent in one budget. The place is not in such a mess that this expenditure will ruin us. The idea is meant to be that the games provide investment and lasting infrastructure, such as housing and transport after they are finished. The millennium dome was an expensive disaster. The only thing I can say in its defence is that at least it was an attempt to do something a bit different. The country would be a boring place if we were all utilitarians, with the aim of getting the most "utility" out of every single pound.

The quote "power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" is still completely true. However it's totally wrong to say that all politicians are just out to make money. Gordon Brown will not be a wealthy man by the time he leaves power, and he is clearly not there to make money. The same is true for the conservatives who come from ordinary backgrounds if they get elected. All political parties will have scandals by the time they have spent this long in office. But accepting dodgy campaign funds is a far cry from stealing taxpayers money in my view.

The majority of the policies of any UK government are formed and shaped by public opinion. They listen to us because we vote them in and out. Its not perfect, but I'm unable to see an obviously better alternative. They do listen to protest. The major example (of the public being ignored) is the Iraq war, and that happened largely because of Tony Blair's determination to be involved, not because of politicians in general ignoring the public.

DeSean, I would love to be as optimistic as you about our government but this is my opinion after being through so many governments:

1. gov depts ARE wasteful because they have no competition and no time deadlines.
    2. £12bill for games IS wasteful - given the fact that it was budgeted at a MUCH lower cost.
    3. all politicans wants power and money. They dont get "much" from just government salary and so they have "indirect and direct" relationships with various "people" and "companies" so that they earn more and stay longer in office.
    4. MAJORITY of policies are NOT shaped by public opinion. SOME policies are. But the most important policies are shaped by powerful allies (USA) or powerful individuals and companies, not the public. These people has a HUGE day to day impact on the UK economy. Public only has impact before an election because there are too many voices/opinions.

Large Member
    Thanks

I think fuel taxation should be higher (and I drive 100 miles or more a day). Cars that arn't at least in the top 2 economy/byproduct classes should be heavily taxed, perhaps less so if the are old.
    To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

Thanks

DeSean, I would love to be as optimistic as you about our government but this is my opinion after being through so many governments:

1. gov depts ARE wasteful because they have no competition and no time deadlines. - lol @ no deadlines. that comedic, the amount of performance reporting we have to do in local government is ridiculous. And I'd like to see how you could be a competative market in the civil service.

2. £12bill for games IS wasteful - given the fact that it was budgeted at a MUCH lower cost. - £12 billion is sod all to the country's wealth, to say Britain can't afford it means that only about 5 countries in the world can do.

3. all politicans wants power and money. They dont get "much" from just government salary and so they have "indirect and direct" relationships with various "people" and "companies" so that they earn more and stay longer in office. - yes all politicians are evil. You never thought that some might do it because they want to make a difference. Despite what Mark Thomas and Michael Moore think not all selfless do-gooders became 'comedians' and documentary makers.

4. MAJORITY of policies are NOT shaped by public opinion. SOME policies are. But the most important policies are shaped by powerful allies (USA) or powerful individuals and companies, not the public. These people has a HUGE day to day impact on the UK economy. Public only has impact before an election because there are too many voices/opinions. - lol its tin foil hat time... alot of policies are shaped by public opinion, but obviously pressure groups, the influence of our allies, treat obligations etc all shape our policies as well.

you may think Desean is a bit optimistic about our govt, well you have full blown OTT scepticism

Vampire
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yamangman View Post
    I think fuel taxation should be higher (and I drive 100 miles or more a day). Cars that arn't at least in the top 2 economy/byproduct classes should be heavily taxed, perhaps less so if the are old.
    Why the bleeding **** should older cars which are just as fuel efficient as newer bigger/more powerful cars be taxed less ?
    All Hail the AACS : 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sinizter View Post
    Why the bleeding **** should older cars which are just as fuel efficient as newer bigger/more powerful cars be taxed less ?
    espesually as when you think of the carbon used to build the car, is probably more than it will ever burn in fuel.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • Rishi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Intel E6600 2.4Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 2GB - PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 250GB Maxtor 16MB Cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • None :(
      • PSU:
      • hmmm :/
      • Case:
      • Black - Standard
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" TFT 8ms
      • Internet:
      • Orange (I think!)

Quote Originally Posted by Phillikon View Post

The list goes on.
    I think so.
    Because you can afford it?

If I could afford a Porsche and live with the cost of running one then I would buy one, why not? Its my hard earned cash, I am buying it legally so there shouldnt be a problem true?

Its not wrong to want nice things in life, its just hard when your faced with so many sky high costs, which are totally crap.
    .: Rishi :.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Sinizter View Post
    They're currently taxed more. It annoys me - my diesel outputs something like 123g/km CO2, but because it's old I have to pay a flat rate some 70 quid more than the same car a few years newer.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information