Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Headlines - House prices fall 2.5 percent in March

Thanks

Re: Headlines - House prices fall 2.5 percent in March

@ Methanoid - By the look of this thread is seems there is some tolerance for news that isn't 'real IT'.

Incidentally, while I concede it may not be immediately obvious, the relevance to the IT channel is that falling house prices tend to lead to reluctance among consumers to buy things like computers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    stories like this MUST get published the day before i complete, mustn't they
    Feeling your pain, just bought my first place last week! Luckily for me, I bought with 2 other mates, so the risk is somewhat spread, but still.

I do agree with Dangel though....whilst the credit crunch has obviously had an impact, I can't help but feel that it's the sensationalist media that's the biggest factor in causing this to snowball, just like with the collapse of Northern Rock.

We put our offer in for the property back in September (yep, it's taken THAT long), and have been watching the prices on comparable properties in our area to see if we could negotiate a lower price, seeing as the sellers were messing us around. Prices here have been rock solid, not budging an inch, and yet places are still being sold.

I'm not sure if I'm just trying to convince myself that everything will be alright, but think about it this way: The population is growing, and housing is already short. There's only so long people are going to be able to wait before they say "screw this, I need a place of my own" and demand goes back up.

Thanks
    • j.o.s.h.1408's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Delux
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 920 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung F1, 500GB Seagate baracuda + 320gb Seagate PATA +150GB WD PATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 480GTX SC edition
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 600W Module PSU FTW
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A7010B (the rolls royce of pc cases)
      • Operating System:
      • vista ultimate edition and windows xp
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22inch 2005FPW dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • 24mb BE There Broadband

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    However to counter that (I've had plenty of practice at this argument with my dad...)

I rent - if tiles come off the roof, no skin off my nose. Boiler fails? Get the landlord to fix it. I only pay insurance on my home contents, and it means I don't have to sweat over all the stuff about house prices in the news because I'm not going to find myself unable to make my mortgage payments and lose my house (how much money will you have "poured down the drain" then?

However while I live in cheap, rented accomodation I can afford to save up a nice fat deposit for the day that I have enough confidence in the market that I decide that I DO want to buy. But in the meantime I have other things to spend my money on. Like a wedding, for starters.

there is pros and cons for both sides but if you weigh them up to eachother, it favours buying your own house. if you favour renting so much why are you considering getting a mortgage in the future? i agree the market is a total shamble at the moment and it doesnt look like its getting any better and it may just be that the future of our population here will ALL be living in a rented accomodation. people like me have no chance of getting a first time mortgage so imagine people my age 10 years later trying to get into the property ladder. gunna be next to impossible in this country. mortgage business's would lose customers.

what about a part buy part rent scheme?

Registered+
    Thanks

An interesting IT link is that, in the US at least, the housing bubble was pushed by legislation in order to fill the void left by the collapse of the IT bubble. "Economic growth" has come to mean - to me - nothing more than higher tax revenue, brought about by the movement of capital. It is therefore encouraged by government.

Remarkable that the IT bubble was based, it would seem, on very little indeed and the bursting was merely everyone realising this and cutting their ignorant losses. The housing bubble was based on the increase in value of something static (though more substantial than "A.N. Tech company", still definitively un-dynamic) by making houses affordable to those who realistically could not afford them. It has just burst, similarly, as the world realises that it too was entirely insubstantial.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j.o.s.h.1408 View Post
    there is pros and cons for both sides but if you weigh them up to eachother, it favours buying your own house. if you favour renting so much why are you considering getting a mortgage in the future? i agree the market is a total shamble at the moment and it doesnt look like its getting any better and it may just be that the future of our population here will ALL be living in a rented accomodation. people like me have no chance of getting a first time mortgage so imagine people my age 10 years later trying to get into the property ladder. gunna be next to impossible in this country. mortgage business's would lose customers.

This already exists. New apartment blocks are built having to offer some units on exactly this system, to allow our generation to begin acquiring equity.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

There are loads of schemes for exactly this. Depending on who's running it, there are different terms associated. Some let you buy the full property out right, others remain partial owners and then limit your re-sale to other first time buyers.

Councils, housing associations and large developers all run different schemes.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar View Post
    There are loads of schemes for exactly this. Depending on who's running it, there are different terms associated. Some let you buy the full property out right, others remain partial owners and then limit your re-sale to other first time buyers.

Councils, housing associations and large developers all run different schemes.
    and in my experience, they're only open to "key workers" whose definition hasn't changed in decades. if you're not tinker, tailor, soldier, or spy, then no entry.

Thanks
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb

how much is rent on a typical 2 bedroom house?
    I let mine out to a couple for £800 per month. They thought they were getting a good deal.
    I am happy to exploit them

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    and in my experience, they're only open to "key workers" whose definition hasn't changed in decades. if you're not tinker, tailor, soldier, or spy, then no entry.
    Nope.

Speak to Tiggerai.

Two of my friends have also just got a flat from a housing association. Although she is a coast guard so i don't know if that had anything to do with it.

Thanks
    • j.o.s.h.1408's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Delux
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 920 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung F1, 500GB Seagate baracuda + 320gb Seagate PATA +150GB WD PATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 480GTX SC edition
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 600W Module PSU FTW
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A7010B (the rolls royce of pc cases)
      • Operating System:
      • vista ultimate edition and windows xp
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22inch 2005FPW dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • 24mb BE There Broadband

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    I let mine out to a couple for £800 per month. They thought they were getting a good deal.
    I am happy to exploit them
    does that include the bills too or are all of that seperate?

Splash

there is pros and cons for both sides but if you weigh them up to eachother, it favours buying your own house.
    In your opinion, and it's all dependent on circumstances. In mine quite the opposite is true.

if you favour renting so much why are you considering getting a mortgage in the future?
    See above

i agree the market is a total shamble at the moment and it doesnt look like its getting any better and it may just be that the future of our population here will ALL be living in a rented accomodation. people like me have no chance of getting a first time mortgage so imagine people my age 10 years later trying to get into the property ladder. gunna be next to impossible in this country. mortgage business's would lose customers.
    I'm not too sure what state the "buy to let" market is in at present, but I would imagine that they're feeling the pinch too. There's been a pretty hefty (relative to the norm anyways) drop in the number of mortgages handed out of late - whether this is due to less people applying or more being declined I don't know. All I know is that at the moment my financial priorities lie in clearing the missus' debt, saving for a wedding and saving enough for a decent deposit. I could probably get a mortgage at the moment, but to me it's less of a priority at the mo. Also the larger a deposit I can afford, the better in my eyes.

There's a fair few of them around my neck of the woods, but all have their little quirks - essentially you seem to be combining the bad parts of buying (ie you're responsible for the upkeep and insurance of the property) with the bad parts of renting (at the end of the day you're paying rent on a place, and you even own part of the place!). You're usually limited in the amount of profit you can make if and when you sell, and/or you can only sell to someone who's using a part buy/part rent scheme.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information