View Poll Results: Should the national speed limit be altered?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - it should remain unchanged

16 21.05%
  • Yes - it should be raised

57 75.00%
  • Yes - it should be lowered

3 3.95%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Question of the week: are UK speed limits out of date?

Thanks
    • hibby's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Supermicro C7Z87-OCE
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4770
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance LP 1600MHz (9-9-9-24)
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 840 Pro; 120GB OCZ Vertex 3; 1TB Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ; 250GB Seagate 7200.10
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD 7970 Vapor-X GHz
      • PSU:
      • 620W Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell U2413; 24" Dell 2408WFP; 17" Dell 1704FPT
      • Internet:
      • Slow, rural broadband

Re: Headlines - Question of the week: are UK speed limits out of date?

I voted to leave it as it is. The speed limit is there to protect you should somebody else have an accident which then smashes into you. On a single carriageway road, if somebody coming the other way loses control and veers towards you the collision speed is 2*60=120mph, not something I want to see increased.

And really, how far are you travelling on the motorway that you're going to get somewhere significantly quicker travelling at 80mph rather than 70mph? It's a matter of ~10 minutes per 100 miles travelled.

In my opinion, what is needed is enforcement of all the rules of the road not just the speed limits. If we can crack down on all the inconsiderate people who put other people at risk then we can all get on with the job at hand, getting from A to B as smoothly and safely as possible.
    If you can't keep up, stick with reality...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ciber View Post
    Well I think lorries should be banned from travelling between 11pm and 7am. The noise the bastards make clanking and rattling round the roundabout near me still wakes me up at all hours, after 3 years living here I'm still not used to it. Not only that, it would be better for the drivers not to have to work at night and maybe make for less sleep driving accidents.
    The down side of this would be extra traffic around peak times (9am and 5pm) I think its in spain where large loads are not permitted to drive in these peak times to reduce congestion!

Imp

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

increase the speed limit to 80, and the safe gap between you and the car in front (and behind) becomes 72 metres. reckon the bmw trying to flash you into the hard shoulder is gonna leave an increased gap? how about 80, for 90mph? 90m, for 100mph?

is driving fast nice? yes. not that i can do it with my puny 1.4l engine, but generally speaking, it's nice not to artificially limit yourself when driving. but given the congestion on our roads and motorways, is it safe? have you *really* left your 63m gap, for travelling at 70mph? or 72m at 80mph? if the guy in front does an emergency stop without warning (by definition it's without warning), would you be safe - both from crashing, and being crashed into?

if not, then there's another problem, and not one that would be solved by blind increases in speed to accommodate your lust for speed

look at it this way - if your brakes are kick ass and better than a ford anglia, even with a decent stopping distance, you'd better hope the guy behind you is at least as good as you on that front (reaction time AND braking distance), because if not, you've got a collision incoming. if your car is so wonderful that you halve the braking distance compared to the stats (lowering total stopping distance from 96m to 59m at 70mph), then are you certain that the car behind you has a stopping distance low enough to not hit you? are you confident you'll never be followed by a ford anglia?

Today is Tuesday
    Thanks

I find it crazy that so many people think it should be increased! I accept that it would be great if it was increased, but under no circumstances should it actually be increased. Only on Saturday I saw another person dead on the M25, it happens far too regularly. You just cannot say it will never happen to me since there are so many uncontrolled variables!

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    you confident you'll never be followed by a ford anglia?
    Well, aside from the fact the anglia would disintegrate on impact (into a modern car) and most anglia's on the road have vastly uprated brakes thesedays (i helped put the discs on my friends restoration project) and weigh as much as a wheelbarrow - good example! You should be more worried about lorries - even at a 'mere' 60mph their stopping distances are.. well..

Jazz will do 106mph according to honda - so i'm sure 80/90 is achievable
    Eventually..
    Last edited by dangel; 20-05-2008 at 09:00 AM.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Welcome to stampytown! Salazaar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Salazaar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450m Steel Legend
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT

Just considering the argument for increasing the motorway/dual carriageway speed limit to 80 (I don't think anyone is realisticaly asking to increase the limit on small er roads); if you look at actual state of the roads today, the question is not whether to give drivers the opportunity to drive faster but to legitimise their current driving habits.

I can't think of any time recently when I've been on a major road where the majority of the traffic was driving at or less than the speed limit. The majority seem to do 70-80 anyway, so why not bite the bullet and decriminalise it?
    ____
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • Mblaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS PK5 Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Intel X25 SSD + WD 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GeForce GTX 570
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP w2207 (22" wide)
      • Internet:
      • Rubbish ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    increase the speed limit to 80, and the safe gap between you and the car in front (and behind) becomes 72 metres. reckon the bmw trying to flash you into the hard shoulder is gonna leave an increased gap? how about 80, for 90mph? 90m, for 100mph?
    People define safe gaps in different ways, as I see it the gap between the car in front and me only needs to cover my reaction time, and any differences between the stopping distance of my car to the car in front, e.g. if I'm behind a sports car with huge brake disks and high end tyres etc then he's gonna stop faster than me, so I leave more gap.

I usually leave more gap than that as most of the time leaving a bigger gap makes no difference to me, but I wouldn't consider it unsafe to be driving behind with only enough room to cover my reaction time.

Quote Originally Posted by Salazaar View Post
    I can't think of any time recently when I've been on a major road where the majority of the traffic was driving at or less than the speed limit. The majority seem to do 70-80 anyway, so why not bite the bullet and decriminalise it?
    Agreed, I do a lot of motorway driving and only about 10% of the cars are actually doing 70mph or less, current motorway speed limits are a joke but no government will have the balls to increase it because they all need to keep up the 'save the planet' image.

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

I think it's more that it'd be admitting that speed isn't the main issue in road deaths - this invalidating the insane speed-camera-instead-of-plod program.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • 1x 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD 2x640gb HGST raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Silencio 352
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband

Motorways are the fastest roads in the UK. Motorways are the safest roads in the UK. Work it out people. Speed is not the issue. Poor driving is.

I once had a period of doing 850 miles a week mostly on motorways usually the M4 and I can say that there are a number of problems imho and the people driving quickly were not the problem because they were paying attention to what was going on around them.

1. Lorries/heavy goods vehicles - they are restricted to 56mph which causes lots of problems and congestion especially when they try to overtake one another. This could be solved by banning vehicles over a certain tonnage during rush hours say 6-9am 5-7pm on motorways and banning them from overtaking unless there is a valid reason.

2. Caravans. I'm sorry people, I'm with Clarkson on this one. Should be restricted to the hours of 8pm to 6am. Anyone caught doing otherwise has their caravan impounded and it will then appear on next weeks Top Gear. You have been warned!

3. The Center Lane Owners Club. They are dangerous drivers who "disengage brain, stick finger up bum" as soon as they get onto a motorway. They drive without due care and attention. I'd like to see the police clamp down very hard on them. Sitting at 65mph in the middle lane with a gormless expression should be punished. £60 fine 3 points.

I used to play a game of looking at the CLOC and they fell into distinct categories. The layed back exec, the zombie/gormless, the chattabox, the gripper (grips steering wheel hard, leans forward and stares out the window in panic), the reader (someone reading or shaving/applying makeup,brushing hair etc), the tradesman, Betties (old people).

4. Tailgaters. In the outside lane, doing 90mph behind everyone else with a proper gap infront, middle lane is chocca block and they are doing 70-80 and you've got nowhere else to go and some dumb prat is right up your backside. Again should be heavily clamped down on. £60 fine 3 points. Do it again = £500 fine 3 points.

5. Lack of police and reliance on speed cameras. Yep, put speed cameras on the safest roads and remove police who are able to make proper judgement of driving, vehicle roadworthyness, etc. You can be dangerous at 50mph (which is the minimum speed limit), but no camera is going to pick that up. Get more police onto the roads and enforce the above.

Speed limits should be raised, I think 90mph is ok and increase minimum speed to 60mph. Variable speed limits are also a good idea so perhaps in rush hour make it 80 and 100mph between 11pm and 5am when all the lorries and caravans are out and about.

I can't think of a car that isn't capable of doing 70mph, jeez I had a 957cc Ford Fiesta (E-reg/1987/8) that would do that (if you wound the rubber band up a bit more). I used to pootle at 80mph in the damn thing.
    "Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be." Frank Zappa. ----------- "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Huang Po.----------- "A drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind", - Ride.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

To add to some wishful thinking, ban vehicles above a certain height from entering lane 3 - they block visibility.

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

well another fun day of delays due to lorry's on the east coast roads stuck at 40mph in a 60 zone, i wouldnt mind but most of the smacktards make it impossible for you to overtake by leaving a 2 foot gap from the lorry there following.

if they dont like being stuck at 40mph go drive a fekin van instead you ignorant bastids.

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by GoNz0 View Post
    if they dont like being stuck at 40mph go drive a fekin van instead you ignorant bastids.
    And get stuck at 50 instead? Woo

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

its better than 40

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Quote Originally Posted by iranu View Post
    Motorways are the fastest roads in the UK. Motorways are the safest roads in the UK. Work it out people. Speed is not the issue. Poor driving is.
    Shhhhh! It's a secret. We mustn't let common sense overtake us (bad pun).

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    To add to some wishful thinking, ban vehicles above a certain height from entering lane 3 - they block visibility.
    Like iranu i'm in favour of the no-overtaking during peak hours for lorries rule - it really would make a difference. They've been trialling this for AGES out here but have yet to come to the very obvious conclusion and roll it out region wide.

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

*nods* I was talking about SUVs and 4x4s as well though

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Quote Originally Posted by dangel View Post
    Jazz will do 106mph according to honda - so i'm sure 80/90 is achievable
    couldn't possibly comment

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information