Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Headlines - Scan.co.uk expands its Bolton store with huge new retail section

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Headlines - Scan.co.uk expands its Bolton store with huge new retail section

In-store prices same as the website?

Looking good btw, shame I dont live anywhere near Bolton

Thanks
    • Betty_Swallocks's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z97-A
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 4690K o/c to 4.6 gHz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb SSD + 1320Gb (3x SATA drives)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390 8Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CS750M
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Shark
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 37" Samsung TV @1920x1080 + Dell 20.1" TFT secondary screen
      • Internet:
      • 150Mb Virgin Media cable

Re: Headlines - Scan.co.uk expands its Bolton store with huge new retail section

I wish there was something like this within 50 miles of me. I really don't like buying online but it's the only option if you want high end kit. If there was somewhere I could go to buy over the counter and actually talk to people I'd be there.
    "Free speech includes not only the inoffensive but the irritating, the contentious, the eccentric, the heretical, the unwelcome and the provocative provided it does not tend to provoke violence. Freedom only to speak inoffensively is not worth having."

Thanks

Errm, all I can think is the 3 extra heatsinks they'll sell to people who come to pick up orders per month are nothing compared to the 5000 orders a month that are more expensive, or make less profit due to all that wasted warehouse space.

Senior Trouble Maker muddyfox470's Avatar
    Thanks
    • muddyfox470's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit I-N73HD
      • CPU:
      • E4500
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb PC6400 Corsair ?
      • Storage:
      • 2 x Seagate 7200.12 500Gb and 1 x Hitachi 7k1000.b 750gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor 4850
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG-01e
      • Monitor(s):
      • Fujitsu D22W-1
      • Internet:
      • BT Home

Where's the ATi and AMD stuff?

It's all well and good a nice shop (that is no doubt going to be a bit of a job to keep clean ) but surely you aren't being as impartial to customers if you are pushing through Intel and NVidia based systems? I would have thought as a computer retailer you would have had a duty to give impartial advise to all customers based on their system requirements and how deep their pockets are; and historically AMD systems have tended to be cheaper.

Doesn't anyone else think the same way? [I didn't see a single AMD or ATi related item in that shop - from the photos]
    Mac fancier > white macbook base spec .................. CS: muddyfirebang

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by muddyfox470 View Post
    Doesn't anyone else think the same way? [I didn't see a single AMD or ATi related item in that shop - from the photos]
    No way. If a manufacturer pays a premium to get extended floor space/promotion then they should be able to - SCANs a business, not a not-for-profit impartial service.

Senior Trouble Maker muddyfox470's Avatar
    Thanks
    • muddyfox470's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit I-N73HD
      • CPU:
      • E4500
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb PC6400 Corsair ?
      • Storage:
      • 2 x Seagate 7200.12 500Gb and 1 x Hitachi 7k1000.b 750gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor 4850
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG-01e
      • Monitor(s):
      • Fujitsu D22W-1
      • Internet:
      • BT Home

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    No way. If a manufacturer pays a premium to get extended floor space/promotion then they should be able to - SCANs a business, not a not-for-profit impartial service.
    It still does not make sense, to have products in the warehouse, but not display in the shop...
    Sure Scan may have got a nice little handout with sponsorship for displaying Intel and NVidia stuff hence the racing car. However can you not remember what happened to the DSG group when it was found out that Intel were paying big royalties for those companies not to stock/sell/display AMD products.

Ultimately it is Scan's decision to sell and display what they wish, but there are two things that are concerning me, customers come in and are drawn in end up buying an Intel based system although it may not be suitable for them and Scan selling very few AMD/ATI products because they haven't advertised the fact they have any in the store.
    Mac fancier > white macbook base spec .................. CS: muddyfirebang

Thanks
    • sawyen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Laptop motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 740QM
      • Memory:
      • 8192MB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB SSD, 1TB WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Mobility HD 5870
      • PSU:
      • MSI stuff
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin ADSL rubbish

Well, ok now put it simply..

Is there an easy way to get to Scan's retail outlet? i.e. by train and bus?

I'm from Sheffield and I'm really eager to pay Scan a visit at some point, but in this case... I don't intend to drive there (with the fuel prices now) and I may be willing to pay for a taxi however if it cost more than a fiver to get there from a train station then probably not..

Maybe the guys at Scan can shed some light..

Loyal customer here, but just not dedicated enough if its miles away from civilisation..
    Me want Ultrabook

Thanks

Yeah theres a Train Station right on there doorstep its called Horwich , when u get out of train station head for the retail park and Scan is on the left behind a KIA ? car Showroom , walking distance , get train past Bolton , heading to Preston. Hope this helps

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sawyen View Post
    Well, ok now put it simply..

Is there an easy way to get to Scan's retail outlet? i.e. by train and bus?

I'm from Sheffield and I'm really eager to pay Scan a visit at some point, but in this case... I don't intend to drive there (with the fuel prices now) and I may be willing to pay for a taxi however if it cost more than a fiver to get there from a train station then probably not..

Maybe the guys at Scan can shed some light..

Loyal customer here, but just not dedicated enough if its miles away from civilisation..
    Or save you money and just get free shipping !! when you buy more than (Is it £20? ) al you have to do be member at hexus

Thanks
    • sawyen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Laptop motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 740QM
      • Memory:
      • 8192MB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB SSD, 1TB WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Mobility HD 5870
      • PSU:
      • MSI stuff
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin ADSL rubbish

But something's always missing from online sales..

I like the feeling of a retail shop with things I can actually see and hold.. plus, I like the feel of technology retail places as they make me feel so much at home..

Also, I tend to buy more in these places as by seeing the thing in person makes that purcahse so so much more likely..
    Me want Ultrabook

DR
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saxamafone View Post
    In-store prices same as the website?

Looking good btw, shame I dont live anywhere near Bolton
    Identical - and you can order online and pickup in store... QCollect

Quote Originally Posted by drunkenmaster View Post
    Errm, all I can think is the 3 extra heatsinks they'll sell to people who come to pick up orders per month are nothing compared to the 5000 orders a month that are more expensive, or make less profit due to all that wasted warehouse space.

It is an interesting sight at a weekend - and clearly you have never been there - with queues hundreds of people long - the guys at SCAN aren't crazy they know the pull and affect their collect service has... (!) Also - they already had a retail place this is a rebuild and replace on it in order to give more room and service to customers.

There will be more news from SCAN soon on a lot of things which will make things even better for the etail customers - but I can't say anything as of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny_Y8S View Post
    Oh look, a hexus article on how great scan is.

Hexus & Scan sitting in a tree kay eye ess ess eye en gee

Thanks for this insightful and useful post - you are a welcome asset to the community.

As you know - SCAN and HEXUS do work closely together, and I think you will find this is a genuine story - I would be surprised if any member of the community did not see the value in HEXUS & SCAN working together.

Cheers

David.

Thanks
    • CrazyMonkey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M4N98TD Evo
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X6 1055T @ 4.1ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 Dominator @ 1700mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB OCZ Vertex 2E - 1TB Hitatchi
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x 460 1GB
      • PSU:
      • 850W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02R-WRI Ltd.Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7, XP, Server2008 RC1, Gentoo
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer LED - 22" Belinea - 19" Samsung - 19" IIyama
      • Internet:
      • 50 MB Virgin Media Cable

Looks very srubbishrubbishrubbishrubbishy, shame i wont be visiting it any time soon

Thanks

To be fair, if I lived closer I would order and go pick up from their, but that would be despite the shop and more to do with the fact its still the only place in the UK I can't know before even going to look at the website, that I can get whatever I want delivered tomorrow. I used to go and pick up stuff from overclock.co.uk before they moved their warehouse (the original overclock not the newly taken over version), at the end of the day, walk in sales in a technology industry aren't where the money is anymore.

Sure there are people who prefer to go to a store, and its quite nice to sometimes see all the stuff you don't buy. But most people who buy kit for work, home computers want the best price, thats where the argument starts and finishes for most buyers and collection service if you happen to be close enough just makes emergency items or impulse buys quicker to pick up and cheaper than lots of places if delivery price is not included anymore. Not saying collection isn't important. Overclock had a lot of people collect after paying online or coming in with a premade order to pay in cash, and were happy to do so even when walking into a box sized front room with some nice amd/intel/gigabyte posters and insane heat(no ventilation).

Overclock probably suffered from lower capital + smaller warehouse limiting buying options which meant offering good prices meant very very small margins and thats most likely why didn't make it. The key to staying competitive would seem to be those things, the amount you can buy and store, and the amount you can buy from distributors or direct from manu's dictating how much you pay and who gets first shot at stock. While i kind of hate OCUK, and don't fall for most of their "we'll get stock first" crap, they do often get the day early batch and rather disgustingly, but fantastic business wise, make a killing off the prices they sell those for.

Now a serious question would be, would hundreds of people be queing to go and see the Scan store, if they could get next day delivery? I used to order from them a lot, since the move I've order smallish things i can wait for, or something I can't find anywhere else, but when the option of paying the same price, but waiting 12 hours from dabs or ebuyer, even ocuk( and die a little inside) than pay the same price and wait 3-4 days for something.

Thanks
    • NightshadowUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87M GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 4790K [Macho Rev.B]
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M500 [240GB] & MX500 [1TB]
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • 620W Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08B-E [AP181 & NF-S12B]
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home [64bit]
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by drunkenmaster View Post
    Now a serious question would be, would hundreds of people be queing to go and see the Scan store, if they could get next day delivery?
    Yes. Ain't nothin' sweeter than walking out with a bag / box / trolley of new hardware and fitting it that same day. I'm getting all tingly just thinking about it.

Being more serious, Scan's located on the edge the Middlebrook (Reebok Stadium) retail park, and you'd be surprised at just how many average Joe's go in to pick up a couple of SD cards or a new keyboard, as they're MILES cheaper than the on-site Comet and Currys. With the collection point, shoppers can treat it like any other store (many probably have no idea of Scan's e-reputation) and they're more than willing to queue up for 15 minutes if it means they can save £10 on a single, basic item.
    Last edited by NightshadowUK; 06-07-2008 at 08:16 PM.

Thanks
    • sawyen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Laptop motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 740QM
      • Memory:
      • 8192MB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB SSD, 1TB WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Mobility HD 5870
      • PSU:
      • MSI stuff
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin ADSL rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by NightshadowUK View Post
    Yes. Ain't nothin' sweeter than walking out with a bag / box / trolley of new hardware and fitting it that same day. I'm getting all tingly just thinking about it.

Being more serious, Scan's located just off the Middlebrook retail park / Reebok Stadium, and you'd be surprised how many average Joe's go in just to pick up a couple of SD cards or a new keyboard as they're MILES cheaper than the on-site Comet and Currys. People can treat it just like an average shop (many probably have no idea of Scan's e-reputation) and they're more than willing to queue up for 15 minutes to save £10 on a keyboard.
    nod.. nod... I'd rather shop with a trolley full of boards and chips and graphics card than visit the cold online environment..
    Me want Ultrabook

Thanks
    • NightshadowUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87M GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 4790K [Macho Rev.B]
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M500 [240GB] & MX500 [1TB]
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • 620W Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08B-E [AP181 & NF-S12B]
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home [64bit]
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb

Oh! And being able to RMA in-store is a God-sent.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information