Thread: Headlines - NVIDIA helping to bring PhysX to AMD hardware, whatever next?

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Headlines - NVIDIA helping to bring PhysX to AMD hardware, whatever next?

NGOHQ.com has been working away to hack NVIDIA's PhysX layer to run on an AMD Radeon HD 3870, and believe it or not, NVIDIA is providing a helping hand.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Brewster0101's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus m5a99x evo
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mghz
      • Storage:
      • Western Green 3TB + Samsung 850Evo 512MB SSD, + 2TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AXi760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27" 27EA63 IPS LED
      • Internet:
      • 120Mb Bt

Re: Headlines - NVIDIA helping to bring PhysX to AMD hardware, whatever next?

I guess AMD don't want to be nice because they feel embarrassed that a third party has done what they should have done first.... Guessing AMD will wait till they have their own drivers before handing over any secrets to third parties.

Thanks

Polar opposite of Creative eh? nVidia keep on surprising me. Not necessarily in a good or bad way, but they've made many decisions in recent time that simply stumped me. NGOHQ did provide a credible reason as to why nVidia is doing what it's doing, but it's nevertheless something I was not expecting. I suspect other companies in their position would just turn a blind eye and allow it to happen (except Creative who would summon their lawyers), but I don't think any would divert their resources to the modding community.

Registered+
    Thanks

Nvidia have said since that they bought Ageia that would allow other (ie ATI) GPU's to run the Physx API.

Havok has the advantge that it will do physics on any PC as they all have an x86 CPU. If only Nvidia did Physx then you cut off ATI card owners, so the developers won't use. If they can say to the developers, ATI card or Nvidia card, doesn't matter then developers will use Physx as well.

It really is as simple as that as to why Nvidia will work with someone to get Physx API ported to ATI GPU. You can be 100% of the Physx API supporting games, but developers won't use Physx if cuts off a large part of the market for the game.

Thanks
    • 2Cold Scorpio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP-35 Pro, Sound Card: Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 w/ G0 stepping - stock: 2.66 GHz OC'd to 3.6 GHz 1.48v
      • Memory:
      • 4x1GB Patriot PDC24G6400LLQK Extreme Performance PC2-6400 OC'd to 900MHz 5-5-5-18 timings 2.2v
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 5200rpm (main), 2x 250 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA in RAID 0 (backup)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB Superclocked
      • PSU:
      • Antec NeoBlue 650w
      • Case:
      • Raidmax Smilodon Steel ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 226BW 22" LCD Widescreen (S-Panel) @ 1680x1050
      • Internet:
      • 15Mb/s Cable, Optical Drives: 1. Lite-On DVD+-R/+-RW/RAM w/ Lightscribe, 2. LiteOn CD-RW 52/32/52x

Well, this is pretty cool to hear, even though PhysX isn't utilized very often. I use mainly nVidia GPUs, but its good to see them sharing the technology...

Registered+
    Thanks

i know, maybe because they know that physx will run slower on ati cards, hence nvidia can use it to sway people into buying nvidia cards, since developers are going to be using physx because both nvidia and ati cards can run it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carmatic View Post
    i know, maybe because they know that physx will run slower on ati cards, hence nvidia can use it to sway people into buying nvidia cards, since developers are going to be using physx because both nvidia and ati cards can run it
    man you took the words right outa my mouth. Now go wash your hands hehe.
    hexus rating
    ebay rating

AMD A8-5400K 3.6@4.0| ASRock A75M| HD7750| 4GB DDR3| Lian Li| Tagan 480W| 2405FPW TFT

Thread Information