Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pacify Your PC - Part 3: Swapping out the CPU block

Tech Geek.
    Thanks

Re: Pacify Your PC - Part 3: Swapping out the CPU block

I dont want to be rude but for somone to give advice badly ticks me off... never ever apply thermal paste with your finger... one its a posionous chemical very toxic, two its not efficient the whole process of using alcohol is to leave no residue and grease etc on the cpu so if you then apply with your finger your just wasting that effort right there as your finger is covered in grease.

also as5 is quite well known for just being a favourite and not being the best...

same again with the orochi huge... but crap.

you also mentioned nothing about earting yourself quite a few components if you are not earfed will just die from static thats why they come in anti static bags.
    also not exaclty smart to drag the motherboard as you ll likely damage the components on the back.

always pick it up by the cooler.... are you kidding me.... they have very sharp aluminium fins that are renowned for cutting people... ive seen bits of heatinks that have turned red from blood going on it.
    ALWAYS PICK UP BY THE BOARD.

Slightly disappointed by lack of knowledge.
    Last edited by Cozwin; 14-11-2008 at 02:14 PM.

Thanks

Hi Cozwin,

Thanks for the reply, I'll address a couple of your points now:

Quote Originally Posted by Cozwin View Post
    I dont want to be rude but for somone to give advice badly ticks me off...
    Ok, let's see if there's any here.

never ever apply thermal paste with your finger... one its a poisonous chemical very toxic, two its not efficient the whole process of using alcohol is to leave no residue and grease etc on the cpu so if you then apply with your finger your just wasting that effort right there as your finger is covered in grease.
    Yep, it is very toxic.. but not through the skin. And at no point do we advise anyone to eat it, so beyond re-editing the show to cope for all possibilities of Darwin Award wanna-bes, there's no harm in doing it the way we did.

As to grease, you're right, which is why we didn't touch the CPU or heatsink. I think this should be left as a matter of differing opinions.

also as5 is quite well known for just being a favourite and not being the best...
    If you listen to what Paul says in the show, he does not claim AS is the best, he just says it's his favourite, so you're actually agreeing with him, so there I think you're both of the same opinion.

same again with the orochi huge... but crap.
    I think “crap” is a little harsh. The reason Paul went for the Orochi over any other cooler was solely down to the noise, after all, the shows are about choosing quiet components, reducing the noise and not necessarily about going for performance parts... hence the show name Pacify Your PC! The task at hand was to make the system as quiet as possible, which is what the Orochi does. I know there are better performing coolers available, but Paul reckons there's not many are quieter than the Orochi... which is why he went for it.

you also mentioned nothing about earting yourself quite a few components if you are not earfed will just die from static thats why they come in anti static bags.
    also not exaclty smart to drag the motherboard as you ll likely damage the components on the back.
    Now this is a valid point and we did actually mention earthing ourselves in an earlier cut that had to be removed for time reasons. We made that decision based on the likelihood of static ever actually blowing anything... again something I've never experienced in all the builds I've done.

I think it's again a bit harsh to say Paul dragged the mainboard as all he did was rotate it 90 degrees and we were working on a glass surface which is hardly renowned for it's static creating, electricity conducting properties.

always pick it up by the cooler.... are you kidding me.... they have very sharp aluminium fins that are renowned for cutting people... ive seen bits of heatinks that have turned red from blood going on it.
    ALWAYS PICK UP BY THE BOARD.
    Erm, not sure which coolers you've been using but none of mine have ever had edges that can double as hedge trimmers. I can honestly say I've never cut myself on a cooling fin... ripped my knuckles up on lots of other sharp edges, but never the cooler. So where this sharp aluminium fin idea comes from, I just don't know as I've never personally experienced it.

As for picking the board up by the cooler, the cooler weighs almost nearly 1.2 kilos, so picking up the board and not the cooler is going to flex the board and possibly break traces, and as you've said above, correct handling to protect the board is paramount... so let's agree to differ on that one with me saying you'll flex the board and possibly damage it.

Slightly disappointed by lack of knowledge.
    At the risk of being too harsh... same here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Tech Geek.
    Thanks

Yep, it is very toxic.. but not through the skin. And at no point do we advise anyone to eat it, so beyond re-editing the show to cope for all possibilities of Darwin Award wanna-bes, there's no harm in doing it the way we did.

-Not recommending to eat it is like giving a baby a gun loaded and saying dont fire... just because youve said it doesnt mean it wont happen... and youd probably be held responsible. As for not toxic on skin its not good for it and he didnt even clean it off he just wiped on toilet roll-

As to grease, you're right, which is why we didn't touch the CPU or heatsink. I think this should be left as a matter of differing opinions.

-he put the thermal paste on with his finger i.e. transfering grease when he touches it. Heatsink would be fine due to film attached to it.-

If you listen to what Paul says in the show, he does not claim AS is the best, he just says it's his favourite, so you're actually agreeing with him, so there I think you're both of the same opinion.

-He does say one of the best... but fair does.-

I think “crap” is a little harsh. The reason Paul went for the Orochi over any other cooler was solely down to the noise, after all, the shows are about choosing quiet components, reducing the noise and not necessarily about going for performance parts... hence the show name Pacify Your PC! The task at hand was to make the system as quiet as possible, which is what the Orochi does. I know there are better performing coolers available, but Paul reckons there's not many are quieter than the Orochi... which is why he went for it.

-Ok fair does it is a quiet cpu cooler... but there are some equally as quiet that arent as huge and dont require attaching a backplate which most users hate doing. And crap really isnt harsh this thing is huge and mega expensive and isnt that good at cooling due to the fact that the heat doesnt get anywhere near all of the fins.-

Now this is a valid point and we did actually mention earthing ourselves in an earlier cut that had to be removed for time reasons. We made that decision based on the likelihood of static ever actually blowing anything... again something I've never experienced in all the builds I've done.

-Again this is true i have never experianced it also but maybe thats because me and yourself are careful some people might not think ahead wear a tracksuit or something and blow a component.-

I think it's again a bit harsh to say Paul dragged the mainboard as all he did was rotate it 90 degrees and we were working on a glass surface which is hardly renowned for it's static creating, electricity conducting properties.

-I didnt mean dragging it persay im just saying you really should be careful, motherboards are very sensitive components and really need to be looked after, also glass is quite good and rubbing on something and damaging it due to it being a quite unsmooth surface but nm that.-

Erm, not sure which coolers you've been using but none of mine have ever had edges that can double as hedge trimmers. I can honestly say I've never cut myself on a cooling fin... ripped my knuckles up on lots of other sharp edges, but never the cooler. So where this sharp aluminium fin idea comes from, I just don't know as I've never personally experienced it.

-I never said hedge trimmers, but id rather pick a motherboard up and not get cut imo. And its quite renowned that Sythe products have very sharp edges the ninja being the worsed.-

As for picking the board up by the cooler, the cooler weighs almost nearly 1.2 kilos, so picking up the board and not the cooler is going to flex the board and possibly break traces, and as you've said above, correct handling to protect the board is paramount... so let's agree to differ on that one with me saying you'll flex the board and possibly damage it.

-but lets just say your not as experianced as you and me and you pick the cpu cooler up rather then board and i dont know you havent attached properly and motherboard drops and breaks or you drop cooler on motherboard so 1.2k of metal hitting a mostly plastic board.-

-Also like to mention the fact that intel standards reccomened to never use a cooler over 500g nevermind 1.2kg due to its effect on the motherboard, with backplate or not (backplates also renowned for warping the board due to pressure)-

-Also you havent mentioned the fact of heat increase due to decreasing air flow for noise reduction, that motherboard is the one i have and the nm is pretty much the hottest thing ive ever touched and i have alot of airflow so with less its likely to be unstable.-

-- means my bit

Thanks
    • Steve A's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene IV
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 2600K (4.3Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair 1600
      • Storage:
      • 240Gb SSD + 6TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA - GTX680
      • PSU:
      • 750W BeQuiet Pro GOLD
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R White
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus 3D Monitor
      • Internet:
      • 100Mb BT Fibre

^^ In a Word

"Sigh"

which is not actually a word but never mind.

Its Advice ... jeeees ... you can choose too take his advice or you can choose not too, Simple.

dont particually want to go over any particular points but at the end of the day, people have different ways of doing things weather it be Applying Thermal Paste or Picking Up a cooler.

Conclusion - Make your own mind up.

Advice is Optional not Compulsary

Thanks

Here here, while i have commented, it was due to wording and content.

You cant belittle someone for how they handle hardware, or how they carry out actions, the video is merely an visual expansion on what could be a very boring read.

- I've never killed anything with static, i dont go around touching radiators or anything either.
    - Applying termal paste, i just put a dab in the middle, put the heatsink on and wiggle it abit to spread, none of this credit card smoothing, or stuff.
    - Dragging the board about i was alittle eekish about, but its not mine

Tech Geek.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sim0n View Post
    Here here, while i have commented, it was due to wording and content.

You cant belittle someone for how they handle hardware, or how they carry out actions, the video is merely an visual expansion on what could be a very boring read.

- I've never killed anything with static, i dont go around touching radiators or anything either.
    - Applying termal paste, i just put a dab in the middle, put the heatsink on and wiggle it abit to spread, none of this credit card smoothing, or stuff.
    haha at the last one

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sim0n View Post
    It wasn't mine either

Thanks

It was mine!

And it still works... though Paul still owes us for the new glass table top that's been gouged by the mainboard.
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Registered+
    Thanks

Fine, I'll send you the bill for all the components we used then

Thanks
    • TAKTAK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT 50th Anniversary
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet SFX-L 600W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-O11 Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb FTTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It was mine!

And it still works... though Paul still owes us for the new glass table top that's been gouged by the mainboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    Fine, I'll send you the bill for all the components we used then
    pwnt
    Post Counts and Other Rewards, Rules, Folding@Home, Fans: Push vs Pull vs Push-Pull, Corsair PSU OEMs.

Quote Originally Posted by razer121 View Post
    Would you like me to enter you? it would be my pleasure
    TAKTAK.co.uk

Thanks

Dammit!

Thanks

Skippy, dont skip my request for discounts .

Make quietPC even better for hexus users

Registered+
    Thanks

I'll see what I can do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information