Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - Sky Player brings Sky TV to the Internet

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Sky Player brings Sky TV to the Internet

Sky's array of channels and on-demand content are now available on a subscribtion basis via its online Sky Player.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Re: News - Sky Player brings Sky TV to the Internet

Thats pretty cool, i've been waiting for Sky to come out with something like this for a long time now..its the logical extension for them.

This finally means that people living a property unsuitable for Sky can get a subscription with the main channels, and if you have a htpc or similar you can watch all the content on your TV screen

Personally I don't think that the costs are unreasonable either - sky are still having to pay for the content they show, and they will still have to pay for content delivery (not strictly pay cash for transit, but there is a cost involved) to your computer. There is not a huge difference in ongoing cost (I don't think) between airing content to peoples living rooms or to their computers.

One of the big things with this (for me) is if it will work outside of the UK - I would have *loved* this service when i lived abroad for a year, would have been great..

Well done sky anyway

Thanks

I'm going to look into this for my HTPC. Wouldn't mind viewing a sample of the video quality beforehand though...

lost
    Thanks
    • llololloy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • gigabyte p67a-ud4
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500s
      • Memory:
      • 8gb ddr3
      • Storage:
      • 60gb ssd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • r9 280x
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Cosmos
      • Operating System:
      • w10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" + 2 * 23" 1080p
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200meg

Any chance of them doing the HD channels via online, or is that unlikely with the average uk broadband speed and usage allowance.
    What bandwidth would be required for say 720p and 5.1 dolby?
    MediaPC - ASRock H61M-DGS - 8gb ddr3 - i3 2120 - R9 270 - antec fusion black - lg ggc-h20l - windows 10 - denon avr-1911 - JVC 58" 1080p RPTV
    Server - MSI Z77A-G45 - 16gb ddr3 - i7 2600k - 4u Rack mountable - sas 1068e + expander - 3ware 9650se - 16 * 2tb + 2 * 3tb - TBS 6984, 6284 & 6920 - 2 * astrometa dvb-c - windows 7 pro
    My PC - See my system on left

hexus.trust

Thanks

I'm interested in their choice of "silverlight". I take Major League Baseball every year, last year they used "silverlight" for the single channel feed for the reason Sky quoted, ie better quality. At the same time MLB have a six screen package (called Mosaic) possibly using "flash". The "silverlight" feed was nothing like as good at delivering streaming video, there were many occasions where I could get a good feed from the old player and not from the "silverlight" based player. When I could get both I felt there was no difference in quality, frankly the ability to actually receive a reliable stream was the primary choice for which player I used. I notice that MLB have dropped "silverlight" for next year and are concentrating on "flash" for their player.Brian

OilSheikh

Bah!

It's NOT FREE! And it costs the same to subscribe whther you wtahc onlinr or via your TV

Registered+
    Thanks

It sucks.. Despite having a normal Sky subscription you still have to PAY to watch things online.. Rubbish.

Splash

Quote Originally Posted by rjpearce View Post
    It sucks.. Despite having a normal Sky subscription you still have to PAY to watch things online.. Rubbish.

That's not my understanding of how it works - I'm just going to remote into home and test it, but my understaning is that if you have a valid Sky sub you can choose to watch online: this is a boon if you spend time working away from home, living out of hotels and the like.

I'll let you know how I get on in a minute...

Splash

Ok, logged into my Sky.com account and just streamed Sky Sports 1 to my PC. It doesn't cost any more than the sub you have.

Obviously if you want to stream channels that you don't subscribe to it's going to cost you more, but did you *really* expect otherwise?

Thanks

Splash, how did you find the quality in comparison to say BBC iPlayer?

I think Sky Player is a good thing for existing Sky subscribers, but not so much for everyone else. It's a little too expensive as a standalone service, I think.

Splash

I was using it over Logmein, so I couldn't tell you from then however I'll check the quality now.

As I said, not something necessarily that I'd pay for as a standalone service, but it certainly adds value to the £50 I splurge a month for when I'm away from home with only a laptop for company.

EDIT - in terms of quality I just watched a minute or so of Sky Sports News and then some BBC news on the iPlayer and I feel they are pretty equal in terms of quality. I really did like the interface for changing channels etc from within the app, rather than having to go to a different webpage to do so.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by blaunchb View Post
    I'm interested in their choice of "silverlight". I take Major League Baseball every year, last year they used "silverlight" for the single channel feed for the reason Sky quoted, ie better quality. At the same time MLB have a six screen package (called Mosaic) possibly using "flash". The "silverlight" feed was nothing like as good at delivering streaming video, there were many occasions where I could get a good feed from the old player and not from the "silverlight" based player. When I could get both I felt there was no difference in quality, frankly the ability to actually receive a reliable stream was the primary choice for which player I used. I notice that MLB have dropped "silverlight" for next year and are concentrating on "flash" for their player.Brian
    Silverlight is just a technology, and how it is implemented is what matters here - not the technology itself. From a technical point of view, Silverlight as a technology is vastly superior to flash in numerous ways, but if a silverlight application has been written badly, it will perform badly In that respect it is similar to any flash application..poor coding = poor results.

So it's not fair to blame Silverlight for the poor streaming on that particular service, and the same 'issue' should not appear with the sky player..if anything it should be miles better just because of the additional flexibility and toolsets that Silverlight offers.

Anyway, back on topic..I have had a bit of a play now and for us at least, we only have access to the 30 day catch up (similar to iPlayer or 4od) - the live streaming requires a multiroom subscription (figures as its just like buying another sky box really).

One thing that people seem to be missing here is that this is *not* an iPlayer or 4od style service, it is just a different way of viewing TV..so it *should* be the same cost (monthly) for the subscription, and it also makes sense to require you to have a multiroom subscription if you want to use the live service in addition to your "standard" box.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    One thing that people seem to be missing here is that this is *not* an iPlayer or 4od style service, it is just a different way of viewing TV..so it *should* be the same cost (monthly) for the subscription, and it also makes sense to require you to have a multiroom subscription if you want to use the live service in addition to your "standard" box.
    I feel you get more from the TV service, though. That has the advantage of the free kit (which could be a Sky+ box that provides recording functionality), and a remote control. Usually includes free installation of the dish, too, and that can route Sky around the house and allow for services like Freesat.

Whilst Sky Player gives you the same channels, it doesn't give any of the above so my personal feeling is that it should be a little cheaper. If it came with a free TV Tuner card for new subscribers, then it'd be a better deal.

Splash

Quote Originally Posted by Parm View Post
    Whilst Sky Player gives you the same channels, it doesn't give any of the above so my personal feeling is that it should be a little cheaper. If it came with a free TV Tuner card for new subscribers, then it'd be a better deal.
    As I said, I think this is a "value added" package for current subscribers that they've decided they can offer to non-subscribers as well. As this kind of package it represents a good deal for current subscribers in my eyes.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

It'll no doubt appeal to some and be good value, and others won't be interested at all. At that level of price, I'm firmly in the latter camp.

Registered+
    Thanks

Personally I think this is a good thing. Having the infrastructure for both TV and broadband seems like a waste. They should morph the 2 into one so we don't have to pay TV licenses anymore. Hopefully the prices will drop dramatically as more people adopt the broadband TV.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information