• Apple Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (RC 7100)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple Cinema Display 30"
      • Internet:
      • 6.6Mb/s

Re: News - Apple counter-attacks Microsoft ad campaign

Lost interest in those ads a long time ago, they just keep repeating the same thing over and over.

I have a Mac Pro and run Vista Ultimate x64 on it and I could not be happier. I love the hardware design and cleanliness, but I (Windows user since '94) just didn't like OS X. Didn't find it faster or more stable - Time Machine was a good idea though.

They say Macs don't come with bloatware (or stuff you'll never use) but what do they call iLife? I didn't use a single app.

Thanks
    • McPhee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8H67 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2400
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Crucial DDR3-1033
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Kingston SSDNow V2+
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX460
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 550W
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" Samsung 941BW
      • Internet:
      • 1Mbps

Quote Originally Posted by martinp View Post
    Lost interest in those ads a long time ago, they just keep repeating the same thing over and over.

I have a Mac Pro and run Vista Ultimate x64 on it and I could not be happier. I love the hardware design and cleanliness, but I (Windows user since '94) just didn't like OS X. Didn't find it faster or more stable - Time Machine was a good idea though.

They say Macs don't come with bloatware (or stuff you'll never use) but what do they call iLife? I didn't use a single app.
    They are a bit of a silly bunch. I've not watched these ads but i can guess at what they say. Been using Windows all my life and i can safely say that the only software i have paid for (in the past couple of years at least) is Office and umpteen PC games. I don't even have an Anti-Virus installed, not found need of it since the launch of Vista and when Win 7 Beta launched I never got round to installing it. The only thing i would like is a better photo manager, i should probably look in to that some time. An iTunes-style program (i.e. half decent media player with attatched music store) that actually runs well on Windows would be nice to. Currently using the Zune Media Player + AmazonMP3.

Thanks
    • mightymouse's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Striker Extreme
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Duo Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 1GB Corsair Dominator PC8500
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung T166 RAID0, 1 x 500GB Western Digital
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX GeForce 8800 GT OC 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1000W
      • Case:
      • CM Stacker 830 - nVidia
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22"
      • Internet:
      • O2 Internet

i have both macs and pcs. i love my macs for everyday use but for the more important stuff i am still stuck with my pc. maybe cuz there is just everything that i need. ads are funny but quite lame. but i do agree that they really have to come down in price cuz they're just too pricey

Registered+
    Thanks

Apple is an OEM Microsoft aren't, Just think about this.

Quote Originally Posted by a friend
    What If Microsoft Made A PC?

Over the weekend I had a discussion with a friend who has recently switched to Mac, and he brought up an unbelievably good - and I mean good - point. I’ll get to it in a moment.

The friend I speak of is a Mac convert. He switched over, is very happy about it and has nothing but nice things to say about Apple. Granted, there are a few things he doesn’t like, but overall he’s satisfied with the way his Apple boxes work.

He knows that Microsoft is a software company and Apple is an OEM (something many Mac vs. PC debaters always forget). The super-good point he made is this:

"I have only one product made by Microsoft in my house, and it’s an Xbox 360. If Microsoft built a PC as good as the 360 like Apple builds a Mac, it would be the best PC made."

And he’s right.

Microsoft’s "PC" is the Xbox. It runs like a top. Gamers of all ages love it. Microsoft controls every bit of hardware and software that goes into it. It’s ultra-proprietary being that it’s a gaming console. And the fact it’s proprietary in and out is a huge reason why it runs so well - just like a Mac.

It should be noted that many Mac fans do own an Xbox. These people who positively can’t stand PCs will applaud the Xbox for working properly just like their Macs do; it is the single product made by Microsoft they don’t complain about.

I had to sit back and realize that yes, being proprietary does have its advantages, with the main ones being stability and reliability.

With Xbox, you pop in a game, turn it on and go. Simple as that. No fuss, no muss. It just works (and doesn’t that phrase sound familiar?) It’s networking also works without any hitches to speak of.

When you’re the OEM and control both the hardware and software, the box does what it’s supposed to do. There are no questions involved, such as, "Do I need a driver for this?" or the like. Everything is ready to run. When you’re not the OEM, yes, the box will crash. Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot, but it will do it.

If Microsoft did actually manufacture a PC, and it was as good as the Xbox is, and it was priced right, they’d probably put Dell out of business.

Thanks
    • Fraz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A-UD5
      • CPU:
      • Watercooled i7-980X @ 4.2 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 24GB Crucial DDR3-1333
      • Storage:
      • 240 GB Vertex2E + 2 TB of Disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Water-cooled Sapphire 7970 @ 1175/1625
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Modu87+
      • Case:
      • Corsair 700D
      • Operating System:
      • Linux Mint 12 / Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 30" 3008WFP and two Dell 24" 2412M
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60 Mbps

Quote Originally Posted by explicit4u View Post
    Apple is an OEM Microsoft aren't, Just think about this.
    Shame the xbox is such a fail on the hardware reliability. Gotta be the most returned for repair piece of consumer electronics in history. Fair play for Microsoft stepping up and doing it though.

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

Quote Originally Posted by Fraz View Post
    Shame the xbox is such a fail on the hardware reliability. Gotta be the most returned for repair piece of consumer electronics in history. Fair play for Microsoft stepping up and doing it though.
    Thats a good point and i totally agree with that on both parts that its bad and atleast they tried to sort it and they have! So isnt the apple ad wrong now? It has that youngish actor for the mac side and some more up market person(dont know names sorry) but really it should be an intense adrenalin junkie that games alot right?.
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Registered+
    Thanks
    • martinp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Apple/Foxconn
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 5482 (x2)
      • Memory:
      • 10Gb FB-DIMM2 800MHz
      • Storage:
      • 2x Hitatchi 1Tb 7,200rpm
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 8800GT w/512Mb
      • PSU:
      • Apple 1100W
      • Case:
      • Apple Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (RC 7100)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple Cinema Display 30"
      • Internet:
      • 6.6Mb/s

Totally agree with you.

However, my Mac Pro has:

a Foxconn motherboard (w/ Intel 5400 Chipset),
    Reaktek HD intergrated audio,
    Broadcom 802.11n NIC,
    Intel PRO/1000 EB NICs (x2),
    'Apple' Bluetooth

The rest,
    2x Xeon procs,
    nVidia GeForce 8800GT,
    2x 1TB Hitatchi drives (original was Seagate IRCC),
    Pioneer DVR-112D DVD-RW (aka Super Drive),
    Sony BD-ROM drive (added myself),
    Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1700 card (added myself),

Now, I'm sure a Dell Precision would have pretty similar stuff inside that too - maybe identical.

I think what makes Mac OS X so stable is the fact that it doesn't support many aftermarket 'add-in' cards.

Say I bought a nVidia GTX295 card, it just simply wouldn't work. nVidia don't make drivers for Mac OS X so I'd need to wait on Apple releasing them (which won't happen). I believe that lack of upgradeablity gives it the stabilty.

Most problems are caused by either dodgy drivers, bad RAM or just poor programming.

However st the moment, I'm running Win Vista Ultimate x64 and I have not had a single app freeze or quit on me - let alone a BSOD.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

I think they are releasing drivers for the GTX2** series with snow leopard but im not sure if the 295 is included.

Im not sure about this comparison to Xboxes i know many many people who have had the red rings which doesnt say much hardware wise, i mean imagine you got a PC and it worked fine, as long as you didnt leave it on doing something for more than 6 hours. Thing is i think microsoft have a big enough share of the market as it is really im not sure of the rules and regulations but maybe they are not allowed...?

I recently got an E-sata card for my mac and thats pretty unstable at times, thing about macs is they usually come with everything you would need an add on card for built into the system (except enough USB ports )

Id liek to see EFI on more PC mobos tbh, as far as i know MSI is the only one rolling them out atm.

Thanks

Cool Re: News - Apple counter-attacks Microsoft ad campaign

It`s something that it will never end. 2 corporations fighting over the same turf... customers.
    I`m building and customising computers for over 12 years and i got my share of frustrations. But to be frank, is like a marriage, up`s and down`s. It`s a slow process called learning and evolving.
    None of them make perfect machines because none of them make perfect software. So let`em argue and have a fit over some stupid ads, in the end prices will become more affordable. It`s a question of choice and if someone is buying a computer based on a TV ad that means that something went totally wrong. An ad is informative, you get the idea and try to asses for yourself if it`s something that can be used and tailored to your needs. The bloody ad is not the answer and solution of all the problems. People need to choose more carefully what they need and a couple of hours spent customizing your PC software (trim down the bloatware, services, etc.) is not the end of the world.
    A decent PC can do the same that a slightly above priced Mac is doing. The funny part is that the Mac has been already customized and that`s why you are paying the premium price .
    Well, more on the next reply. Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information