Thread: News - Virgin Media pilots 200MB broadband

Thanks
    • Grey M@a's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K (With H100i cooling)
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, 1TB Cavier Black WD HD, 4TB Cavier Black WD HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390X Gaming Edition 8GB
      • PSU:
      • SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 850W Fully Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG 24GM77-B 144Hz
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin Media Cable

Re: News - Virgin Media pilots 200MB broadband

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks12 View Post
    Thats what confuses me... NTL hasnt been taken over, they owned part of virgin mobile or something and decided to use the Virgin brand as its more well known(this is a fact btw, was on their website ).

My service has gone poor from them now, i get throttled from downloading at night aswell now which they dont mention so its ghost throttling which im sure is illegal since no mention in the t&c. I wanted to move to o2 but no bt line and dont want to move to find i have a bad connection there to.
    I've been on them since the early days of Telewest when they first hit our area in 2000 so everytime a name change has come or a new owner the service has gradually got worse as a result :/ I used to swear by them but now I am paying for a service I get no where near what I am paying for. Also the fact their support is now off shored and they can't understand a single word you are saying and they are reading from a script that has nothing to do with what you are asking.

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

Oh thats the exact same story for me , been a customer for ages(since the days dial up was good!). The off shored call centres pee me off as they really are bad, the guy i spoke to kept contradicting himself as he was saying that im throttled since i have been downloading after 12am(off peak) and then later on he says either stop downloading for a few days or just download off peak, like WTF? You told me im getting throttled cause i downloaded off peak....
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grey M@a View Post
    Nah I double checked that and also had checks done pays to have a few friends who work there.
    VM can't even stop cloners joining their network, so anything they say in regards to it is a guess at best. They simply don't have the equipment in place to stop cloning on their older network segment (yet).

Jay
    Thanks

What router has over 100Mbps WAN port?
    □ΞVΞ□

Thanks
    • pipTheGeek's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920 @ 3.6GHz
      • Memory:
      • 3 * 2Gb Corsair XMS @ DDR3 1800
      • Storage:
      • 300GB 15K SAS + 500Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX570
      • PSU:
      • corsair 760i
      • Case:
      • Corsair 550d
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Alienware 23"
      • Internet:
      • VM 50Mb

I have just had VM 50Mb broadband installed. So far so good, well, with the broadband performance anyway. To those of you complaining that the VM network is over-subscribed. ASFAIK ALL domestic broadband suppliers over sell their bandwidth. Most have a contention ratio of around 50:1. It would be nice if this was something that was included in the sales material though. Does anyone know what contention ratio VM run at?
    Now time for my complaint. Has anyone here run into VM £150 cap? Prior to our move to 50Mb we had the VIP package, along with phone calls this meant our bill was usually £90 a month. Add to that the installation fee for 50Mb and we ended up owing over £150. I need to stress at this point that we have never missed a payment to VM in the 6 years we have been a customer, nor have we yet had the bill for this amount. Anyway, they cut us off! My wife tried to use broadband, nothing, tried the phone, also nothing. Contacted VM (thankfully the phone did allow this) and they explained that we had been cut off because we owed more than £150. We paid over the phone and are now back on. I don't know how long it took to re-connect us because we were both out, but I am not impressed.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • JackaL's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Foxonn
      • CPU:
      • E7300
      • Memory:
      • 4GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 4650
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Noisetaker 2 600W
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster Cosmos S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Pebble 22"
      • Internet:
      • 20MEG

Quote Originally Posted by pipTheGeek View Post
    I have just had VM 50Mb broadband installed. So far so good, well, with the broadband performance anyway. To those of you complaining that the VM network is over-subscribed. ASFAIK ALL domestic broadband suppliers over sell their bandwidth. Most have a contention ratio of around 50:1. It would be nice if this was something that was included in the sales material though. Does anyone know what contention ratio VM run at?
    Now time for my complaint. Has anyone here run into VM £150 cap? Prior to our move to 50Mb we had the VIP package, along with phone calls this meant our bill was usually £90 a month. Add to that the installation fee for 50Mb and we ended up owing over £150. I need to stress at this point that we have never missed a payment to VM in the 6 years we have been a customer, nor have we yet had the bill for this amount. Anyway, they cut us off! My wife tried to use broadband, nothing, tried the phone, also nothing. Contacted VM (thankfully the phone did allow this) and they explained that we had been cut off because we owed more than £150. We paid over the phone and are now back on. I don't know how long it took to re-connect us because we were both out, but I am not impressed.
    iv heard of this it spawns from days gone by where ppl bills were ran up to £400-500 never paid them then moved house i think its set to that so it cuts you of as soon as your second months bill kicks in

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Unhappy Re: News - Virgin Media pilots 200MB broadband

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks12 View Post
    Oh thats the exact same story for me , been a customer for ages(since the days dial up was good!). The off shored call centres pee me off as they really are bad, the guy i spoke to kept contradicting himself as he was saying that im throttled since i have been downloading after 12am(off peak) and then later on he says either stop downloading for a few days or just download off peak, like WTF? You told me im getting throttled cause i downloaded off peak....
    Same for me - I was a content Telewest customer for ages (total loss of service = 30 minutes in 3 years - I was happy). Then NTL took over and the speeds dropped, the branding changed and the helldesks got sent to India. And worst of all, the service became less reliable, (I work from home, so this is a big deal for me).

As to the throttling - if I download between 6am and 10.30am then I've seen measured download speeds (real downloads, not tests) of 1150 - 1190KB/s which is near as dammit full tilt on my L grade 10Mb/s service. Then the throttle cuts in and it goes down to 300-400KB/s, then in the afternoon we're down to <100KB/s. Argh! Weekends tend to be less predicable - some times the 'golden time' lasts longer, sometimes it's shorter.

In which case surely the new service is going to be along the lines of:
    Oh look at my fancy new service, isn't it really, really quick, much better than ... oh damn rate caps - I'm back to 1Mb/s!

Tip by the way - I've found that if I can phone during business hours (especially in the morning) I don't get the folks in India, instead it's UK based (or at least seems to be). And the folks there are old-school Telewest levels of service.

Oh last gripe for any fellow VM "L" customers - I'm paying &#163;25pm, and according to the website "L" is now &#163;20. Figured I could get my bill reduced, only to be told that I was getting lots of freebies (none of which I use) which accounts for the price difference - so no refund!

Roll on 21CN when I can finally get a VM alternative that's going to be faster than 2Mb/s...

Bob
    Last edited by crossy; 06-05-2009 at 09:41 PM.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Wink Re: News - Virgin Media pilots 200MB broadband

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    What router has over 100Mbps WAN port?
    Oh easy one - DLink DIR-655 - which according to the spec sheet has:

o IEEE 802.11n (Draft) wireless LAN specification
    o Compatible with 11g and 11b wireless networks
    o 10/100/1000 Mbps WAN port
    o Built-in 4-port 10/100/1000 Mbps switch
    All Gigabit ports - nice. Likewise, there's the Belkin N1 Vision which also claims "5xRJ45 10/100/1000 Mbps (4xLAN, 1xWAN)". The DLink looks nicer (to me at least) but I'll bet the Belkin is cheaper.

Not sure if Netgear or Linksys have something similar because both of these companies don't seem to want to quote proper specs.

Bob

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

I pay &#163;12.50 for my Large package, it was from haggling though as we got upgraded to XL tv and this loyalty package which is &#163;25 discount(makes tv/bb &#163;12.50 each) since they had lost sky channels along with sky offering cheaper broadband.
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Pseudo-Mad Scientist Whiternoise's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Whiternoise's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI LANPARTY JR P45-T2RS
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 5.6TB Total
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4780
      • PSU:
      • 425W Modu82+ Enermax
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08b
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 23" IPS
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbps Fibre Line

What they SHOULD be working on is:

1. Improving their network infrastructure so that people don't have to worry about throttling or contention. 200 is overkill in my opinion, university connections that hit around 80-100mbs tops are more than fast enough. Even my "24" (read 16)mbs connection from Be is more than suitable for streaming HD - first thing i did when i got my 22" monitor was try out some trailers from Apple, lag wasn't an issue.

2. Give everyone decent upload speeds - in a world that is dominated by video streaming websites, people posting 8mb Jpegs onto Flickr from their new billion megapixel cameras and so forth - it is ironic that you can get a 24mb connection, but be limited by 1mb upload speed. Really frustrating when you're doing some web design, you want to put a video up, but it takes half an hour to FTP it!

3. Concentrate on keeping download speeds stable to begin with!

I'd much rather pay a little extra to guarantee that i always get XXmbs than pay a little extra for loads of extra speed that drops in the evening because everyone is watching superduper HD and all the light is getting gridlocked!

I somehow doubt they'll throttle people. It would be more than useless to advertise a broadband line capable of streaming a HD film in an instant - but then throttles you because you've downloaded 8 gigs in 5 minutes (almost possible at 25MB/s). As i mentioned, 200mbs is overkill even for the most ardent pirates. You could buffer an entire double layer DVD in 8 minutes, a full HD Blu Ray stream could easily be done in 20 - heh Sony are going to have a field day if internet speeds come into play that are actually usable for pirating Blu Ray content!
    Last edited by Whiternoise; 06-05-2009 at 10:51 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 0iD View Post
    In my experience you'll never see max speeds & if you do, it'll be between 2 and 6am. The rest of the time it'll be crawling along at 512k/s owing to 'network issues'.
    It's laughable isn't it. They can barely get their 20MB lines sorted let alone 200MB. They just need to give up and fix what they have now.
    Maybe for you, i always receive 2.5MB/s and around 150KB/s no matter what time of day.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbouk View Post
    How many seconds of downloads can they do before the connection will be crippled by a cap?
    50MB currently has no CAP, if Virgin do see the LIGHT i would hope that they see that this package is for the hardcore users and that it shouldn't fall victim to restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Re-Invented View Post
    200MB Down / 768Kb up knowing this bunch of monkeys, I would rather have a decent upload, instead of all these speed increases they keep putting in.

Lee
    +1, they should dedicate more of their resources for better upload speeds, i want 50MB/10MB at the minimum, countries like Sweden get to enjoy a full 100MB symmetrical line!!!

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Nah I double checked that and also had checks done pays to have a few friends who work there. If I do most the surfing after 2am the line is fast then 6am hits and the throttle kicks in. So does everyone elses in the few streets surround me and we are all showing the same throttling at the same times. Virgin know of it and I have had out of them they are looking into so new cable that was put in place but nothing since then. So now I make em pay, between 2am - 4am I download like no tomorrow.

Tbh since virgin took over the service took a nose dive even more. I can also get Be 24mb adsl for almost &#163;15 cheaper than the 20MB cable line.
    I think what you might find is it isnt throttling at all its simply the switchers and servers in the exchange are totally overloaded as thats what was happening to me. As im living in a heavily populated student area on a 2mb line with no extra phone line, you can imagine everyone bought into it and between 7am and 3am the servers where at 100&#37; load. Took me a while and a lot of phone calls to get told this due to the offshore customer services but eventually you can get through to a few ok guys.

They eventually upgraded it all and it was a bit better but not much. Switched to 10mb now and im pretty sure it runs of totally different circuits so the only time i ever have issues is 4-9 but thats totally understandable.

I would keep bugging them and threaten to leave, we managed to get all the costs of the phone calls back and some free line rental

With regards to the 200mb line, good to see the test are going out there but there is just nooooo chance in hell its gunna work with these stupid limits they impose on us.

Thanks
    • pipTheGeek's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920 @ 3.6GHz
      • Memory:
      • 3 * 2Gb Corsair XMS @ DDR3 1800
      • Storage:
      • 300GB 15K SAS + 500Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX570
      • PSU:
      • corsair 760i
      • Case:
      • Corsair 550d
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Alienware 23"
      • Internet:
      • VM 50Mb

Quote Originally Posted by JackaL View Post
    iv heard of this it spawns from days gone by where ppl bills were ran up to £400-500 never paid them then moved house i think its set to that so it cuts you of as soon as your second months bill kicks in
    Except we hadn't even had the FIRST bill that was over £150. It was almost instant, as soon as the install charge went on our account, they cut us off. I don't mind being cut off if I don't pay, but I would like to have a CHANCE to pay first.

I heard that the 50Mb trial had 5Mb upstream on some of the modems that were being trialled. But the modem that has been picked can only deliver 1.5Mb up. Which sucks. I would prefer 20Mb each way instead of 50Mb down and 1.5Mb up. A neighbour is looking at ADSL broadband and most of the suppliers seem to quote 1.2Mb up. But isn't VM 10Mb down only 512Kb up? Why are they so far ahead on downstream and so far behind on up? Am I being cynical to think it is because the downstream is the one that marketing get to use?

I haven't had 50Mb long enough to comment on its performance, but I rarely had down stream of less than 15Mb while I was on the 20Mb service. I think that is a reasonable speed, especially given that the drop could have been caused by the server that was running the speedtest not by VM at my end.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • JackaL's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Foxonn
      • CPU:
      • E7300
      • Memory:
      • 4GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 4650
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Noisetaker 2 600W
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster Cosmos S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Pebble 22"
      • Internet:
      • 20MEG

VM 10Mb down only 512Kb up?

thats about right but uk ISPs upstream has always sucked basicly because they dont want ppl hosting game servers / files servers from home and sucking all of the bandwidth out of there network.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

i agree though some more upload bandwidth would be greatly appreciated and i would happily sacrifice a bit of download for it. Im sure if a few companies used the fact all other companies offer their deals based on download speeds creatively it would stir up a bit of fuss.

Registered+
    Thanks

Anyone else think there should be a minimum 5:1 Download:Upload Ratio?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information