Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Analysis - Can Adobe Flash survive?

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Re: Analysis - Can Adobe Flash survive?

I haven't had a browser crash, flash or otherwise since Opera 10.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Flash manages to eat battery life, cpu cycles, and has been known to be rather un-stable on every OS and browser combo going.

The thing is the pro's still far out way the con's.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

3. Received thanks from:

Singh400 (06-02-2010)

Thanks

Surely the question is can the iPad succeed without flash support?

On iphones people are prepared to put up with not having flash, because they are using their phone... but the ipad is supposed to be a tool specifically designed for accessing the web. If it can't view flash and the like then it fundamentally fails, its a bit like building a car that can't drive over bridges.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    Flash manages to eat battery life, cpu cycles, and has been known to be rather un-stable on every OS and browser combo going.

The thing is the pro's still far out way the con's.
    Never had Flash crash on me. And I accidentally clicked thanks on your post while trying to click reply.

Thanks
    • pp05's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming itx
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3 2200G
      • Memory:
      • Ballistix Elite 8GB Kit 3200 UDIMM
      • Storage:
      • Kingston 240gb SSD
      • PSU:
      • Kolink SFX 350W PSU
      • Case:
      • Kolink Sattelite plus MITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

Flash needs an update.

On mobile devices it's a poor experience. Lets be clear about this - mobile devices are where the net explosion is happening.

Networks cannot cope. They are selling us bandwidth they don't even have most likely. To be fair to Adobe - there are a lot of handsets to support.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by cordas View Post
    Yes.

On iphones people are prepared to put up with not having flash, because they are using their phone...
    And ipod touch users are prepared to put up with no flash because?

Thanks

Can't say I've never had issues with Flash, but without widespread support for an alternative, I don't think this was a good move from Apple. Well, it's in line with at least some other Apple products: 1st products tend to lack features deemed necessary/obvious by most. But if history repeats itself, the product may carve a decent niche (or more) by the 3rd generation.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Quote Originally Posted by cordas View Post
    Yes, because despite what Apple say, people are quite happy to have some little bits of the Internet misson on their phone because they are used to that.

The iPad is a different proposition entirely. Consomers will expect to see the same content they see on their laptops or desktops. The big content providers will get away with it because they have Apps to serve the videos, but I would expect people to have videos embeded in pages as well as animations and generally not have the Blue Lego Brick of FAIL.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pp05 View Post
    Flash needs an update.

On mobile devices it's a poor experience. Lets be clear about this - mobile devices are where the net explosion is happening.

Networks cannot cope. They are selling us bandwidth they don't even have most likely. To be fair to Adobe - there are a lot of handsets to support.
    Net explosion on mobile devices is happening with Twitter and Facebook. You aren't capable of downloading the internet on a mobile device. Not enough storage capacity I'm afraid.

I think Flash will do fine. I think it's the iPad that will fail.

Thanks
    • superscaper's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI GT725
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 P9500
      • Memory:
      • 4 GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 500 GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Mobility HD4850
      • PSU:
      • 120W
      • Case:
      • MSI GT725
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64

I think there's two issues that seem to be overlooked in most discussions about HTML5 and Flash and it's a perception that seems to be perpetuated by Apple.

Many people (and it seems Apple included) have a 5 year plus out of date perception of Flash. It's not any more merely a video player or fancy animation tool for web browsers. It's an entire platform and programming/development paradigm now. Sure plenty of people use it just to have a fancy website. But it's also used for building entire applications. It's not perfect, far from it but it's more than just an extension to HTML. Where I work for example we build entire interactive SCORM compliant e-learning courses based on Flash (and Flex). Trying to do that with HTML (even with HTML5 features) wouldn't just be a nightmare and uneconomical but actually impossible if we were to try and recreate all the functionality, never mind being realistic about client browser takeup/updating.

This leads onto the second related issue. HTML5 is a good major step forward, but it's only a step. It will not replace the functionality you can already get with the likes of Flash. It will certainly save some (just some) of the development within Flash and Actionscript but it's not the Holy Grail of web languages that some (such as Apple) are making it out to be.

Thanks

MS proposes a new standard or brings out software that directly attacks a large software competitor it gets slated on the forums and then sued in US and EU on anti-competitive grounds.

Apple gets into bed with google to do the same thing and nobody complains.

Make sense of that please.

I like flash it works on windows just fine, it works on the firefox browser I use. But if something better comes along that most websites use, then I will use that. If flash does not work well on apple machines then the user should complain long and hard to Adobe. If they do not support their users it will not be long before some other program comes along to replace them

In other words this has nothing to do with Apple. It is down to Adobe and the users

Thanks

This is almost the reason why people buy Apple products in the first place, they want something that works and they're happy with the limitations (if they're even aware of them).
    I don't like Apple stuff, they dumb down and limit their equipment and charge you extra for it, that's not really something I'm willing to do. However, I'm quite happy to tinker with something to make it work how I want it to, something that most Apple customers don't want to do.

PCs are not consumer devices and they really shouldn't be sold as such. Apple makes consumer devices that happen to resemble personal computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    Personally i think this seems like a barely relevant and scarcely accurate argument. Classing everything apple into one based on the ipad/iphone is total rubbish.

Im not a pro apple person at all but OTT stereotyping works both ways.
    What's inaccurate ?
    Does Apple stuff not actually work ? Does it have no limitations ? Do they not charge you extra for the Apple stamp ?
    Am I lying and I actually love Apple gear and I'm fully willing to pay extra ? Am I not happy tinkering with things ? Are Apple customers more likely to be happy tinkering with their devices than me ?

Are PC consumer devices ? Are Apple products not consumer devices ?

Relevance is derived from other posts:-
    One of the probable reasons that Apple isn't going with Flash (yet ?) is that it's buggy and not the type of user experience it wants to deliver to its customers. The PC world is quite happy to deliver buggy solutions to customers and then patch it later (most of the time).
    That, to me, is the one of main differences between Apple and PC users.

You pay extra for Apple gear because it works out of the box.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amdavies View Post
    What's inaccurate ?
    This is almost the reason why people buy Apple products in the first place, they want something that works and they're happy with the limitations (if they're even aware of them). I don't like Apple stuff, they dumb down and limit their equipment and charge you extra for it, that's not really something I'm willing to do.
    Depends on the device, and that's where your statement is inaccurate. I'll focus on iPod because it does well to illustrate that, and I've not found the incentive as a gamer to move onto an OSX system.

-Every- devices have some sort of limitations, this is especially true when comes to portable device such as the iPod. To this date, I don't think there is one MP3 player that does -everything-, picking up an MP3 player mean having to put up with it's limitations, so you are correct in that sense, except you alluded that only Apple (and by that, iPod users) have to put up with limitations when you wouldn't with other manufacturers.

As for dumbing down their products, iRiver originally offered optical out - a dream for audiophile who can hook them up a portable DAC/Amp. Yet it didn't take very long before they dropped that feature. In fact, by the time of the 4G/5G iPod, it was one of very few major MP3 player maker with a line-out so that you can hook it up to your own amp. Creative didn't have it, iAudio messed up the implementation with the X5 series (competing with the 5G iPod at the time) and users found out they got better result hooking the amp through the headphone-out than via the line-out. I am not familiar with the Zune in it's current form, however I understand that the first release lacked features already present on the iPod. e.g. gapless playback - which Apple did admittedly take their sweet, sweet time to implement.. but it does suggest that if they get hassled enough over it, they'll take notice. Ironically, by the time they had implemented it (years after the defunct Rio Karma), most competing MP3 player didn't have it.

As for charging extra, yes they typically do charge a premium, yet how much depends on the device, it it's not necessarily more than other big brands. There were certainly more expensive devices in the Touch/Shuffle flash based segment. Some would argue they are better in some way. However, the same point can be made for devices cheaper than the iPod. If we take the nearest competing devices back then (iPod 5G, iAudio X5, Creative Zen Vision), they all had they were no clear winner, and pricing were pretty close too. Clearly Apple didn't see fit to slap a big premium for their names (over other respected names) in this very competitive industry where they want to keep their market share.

I'm quite happy to tinker with something to make it work how I want it to, something that most Apple customers don't want to do.
    You may not be aware, but there are both hardware mods (including but not limited to the iMod), and software (Rockbox) for the iPod. There are technically minded, quality discerning audiophile who decides on an iPod because it does what they want best within that price range.

Well, I can't comment about Apple computers (as already stated, don't have the incentive to use one). But it's beneficial as an educated consumer not to make sweeping generalisation but to look at every device with their own merit.

15. Received thanks from:

Biscuit (09-02-2010)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information