Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: News - Reports emerge of major global hardware defect in Nokia N8

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    31,588
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2,019 times in 718 posts

    News - Reports emerge of major global hardware defect in Nokia N8

    A growing number of people are claiming Nokia’s flagship smartphone is bricking itself – ours certainly did.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Brewster0101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,614
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked
    54 times in 44 posts
    • Brewster0101's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus m5a99x evo
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mghz
      • Storage:
      • Western Green 3TB + Samsung 850Evo 512MB SSD, + 2TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AXi760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27" 27EA63 IPS LED
      • Internet:
      • 120Mb Bt

    Re: News - Reports emerge of major global hardware defect in Nokia N8

    The N900 also had various charging issues. It seemed to stem from that fact the usb port on the phone actually broke. I think alot of people (hardcore techies) concluded that the port was not securely attached to the phone and would come loose or even off. Obviously stopping the phone from charging.

    If the N8 goes down in the book as a hardware failure as well as software failure then Nokia can kiss good bye to the high end market. I think alot of people don't hold Nokia in high regard when it comes to choosing a new phone, this latest news will only act as more nails into the coffin for Nokia.

    PS My HTC Deisre HD rocks and has no software or hardware issues - Replaced my old trusty Nokia E71 - but wouldn't buy Nokia at the moment.

  3. #3
    Tech Geek.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,742
    Thanks
    82
    Thanked
    37 times in 36 posts

    Re: News - Reports emerge of major global hardware defect in Nokia N8

    Quote Originally Posted by Brewster0101 View Post
    The N900 also had various charging issues. It seemed to stem from that fact the usb port on the phone actually broke. I think alot of people (hardcore techies) concluded that the port was not securely attached to the phone and would come loose or even off. Obviously stopping the phone from charging.

    If the N8 goes down in the book as a hardware failure as well as software failure then Nokia can kiss good bye to the high end market. I think alot of people don't hold Nokia in high regard when it comes to choosing a new phone, this latest news will only act as more nails into the coffin for Nokia.

    PS My HTC Deisre HD rocks and has no software or hardware issues - Replaced my old trusty Nokia E71 - but wouldn't buy Nokia at the moment.
    each to there own i think, i have used nokia s alot over the years, recently decided to get Htc Wildfire... worst phone hardware and software wise i have ever used... and all htcs fault, for example htc sync that doesnt even detect the phone.... awful however my gfs 5830 is great touchscreen phone (best resistive i have ever used btw)

    Shame nokia are getting bad press but if they use MeeGo well next year all will come back.

  4. #4
    Gentoo Ricer
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Galway
    Posts
    11,048
    Thanks
    1,016
    Thanked
    944 times in 704 posts
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

    Re: News - Reports emerge of major global hardware defect in Nokia N8

    Gooooooooooo Symbian!
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

  5. #5
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hants, UK.
    Posts
    250
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    4 times in 2 posts

    Re: News - Reports emerge of major global hardware defect in Nokia N8

    Quote Originally Posted by Cozwin View Post
    Htc Wildfire... worst phone hardware and software wise i have ever used
    Care to elaborate any further? I had trouble with HTC sync as well, but otherwise I find the Wildfire superb...
    -Casimir's Blake
    Psychedelic Tektoniks From The Berenices

  6. #6
    Senior Member Brewster0101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,614
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked
    54 times in 44 posts
    • Brewster0101's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus m5a99x evo
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mghz
      • Storage:
      • Western Green 3TB + Samsung 850Evo 512MB SSD, + 2TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AXi760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27" 27EA63 IPS LED
      • Internet:
      • 120Mb Bt

    Re: News - Reports emerge of major global hardware defect in Nokia N8

    Quote Originally Posted by chis View Post
    Care to elaborate any further? I had trouble with HTC sync as well, but otherwise I find the Wildfire superb...
    I cant use htc sync with outlook 2010 x64 version. Had no problems with Outlook 2007 though.
    I don't think there is really much to complain about when it comes to htc and their android phones. There alot of nit pickers out here who seem to complain about anything.
    Saw on one forum that someone wanted to take their new desire hd back because the camera lense Was not 100% centre in the camera hole. No ones is, but he wanted a replacement. Sad

  7. #7
    Senior Member joshwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    4,842
    Thanks
    123
    Thanked
    67 times in 62 posts
    • joshwa's system
      • Motherboard:
      • PC Chips M577 AT/ATX
      • CPU:
      • AMD K6-2 500Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 128mb PC100 SDRAM
      • Storage:
      • 8GB Fujitsu
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 AGP (16mb)
      • PSU:
      • ATX 500watt
      • Case:
      • Midi Tower AT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 98 SE
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" TFT Widescreen

    Re: News - Reports emerge of major global hardware defect in Nokia N8

    Other people have found charging another Nokia phone, then switching, works.
    Switching what? The charger from one phone back to the N8? Or switching the battery? (It uses the same battery as the N97 Mini, so it could be possible, assuming you have the torx screws needed).

  8. #8
    Senior Member Scott B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    643
    Thanks
    151
    Thanked
    33 times in 33 posts

    Re: News - Reports emerge of major global hardware defect in Nokia N8

    Quote Originally Posted by joshwa View Post
    Switching what? The charger from one phone back to the N8? Or switching the battery? (It uses the same battery as the N97 Mini, so it could be possible, assuming you have the torx screws needed).
    Sorry, the Nokia forum thread I saw spoke about charging another phone, then switching that charger to the N8 immediately: http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Nseries-and-S60-Smartphones/SOLUTION-Nokia-N8-Not-Charging-or-Not-Turning-On/td-p/790116

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Introduction to HEXUS Hardware News
    By Steve in forum HEXUS News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 06:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •